Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Covenent Christian - Why Privates Never Belong in 1A Football

Guest DT

6 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

And still no answer to the question as to why two athletes living in wells co are playing for for a team in Adams co.

Originally was going to go to a school in wells county. This family has a parent who is a teacher and couldn’t get a job in wells county but got a job as a South Adams teacher so that’s how they ended up at south adams. 

7 minutes ago, Antonio Browns Alter Ego said:

Originally was going to go to a school in wells county. This family has a parent who is a teacher and couldn’t get a job in wells county but got a job as a South Adams teacher so that’s how they ended up at south adams. 

👍 that will check the box.

5 hours ago, Canoer said:

The biggest problem I’ve had is these private schools (LCC) will win a couple state titles in a row move up to 2A then tank a couple of seasons back down to 1A , so your telling me LCC couldn’t win 2 sectionals in 2A to stay in 2A ? And then their right back winning state championships !!!

“Tank a couple of seasons?” I think you’ve fallen out of your canoe one too many times.

• Like 3
  • Disdain 1

3 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Didnt the Wieczorek kid (i know he didn't play football) come from Clay or Riley? Pretty good basketball and baseball guy. 

I am sure there are a few kids with good coaching may be better then what they are at Adams/Riley/Clay+ they aren't playing as good of teams either. 

He was a Riley baseball players when I coached there...he was a tremendous hitter

6 hours ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Location, location, location 🙂 It hasn't happened in football yet, but Guerin Catholic is another example. It is technically located in the Noblesville district. However, just across the street to the west is Westfield. And a half a mile to the south is Carmel. 

The truth is Guerin's location does it no real favors when it comes to enrollment numbers. I can tell you first hand that a large number of students from Guerin's catholic feeder schools attend Westfield, Carmel. Noblesville, HSE, & Fishers high schools. These schools are all outstanding and free to attend so it should be no surprise Guerin remains a relatively small school in a densely populated area.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GC42 said:

The truth is Guerin's location does it no real favors when it comes to enrollment numbers. I can tell you first hand that a large number of students from Guerin's catholic feeder schools attend Westfield, Carmel. Noblesville, HSE, & Fishers high schools. These schools are all outstanding and free to attend so it should be no surprise Guerin remains a relatively small school in a densely populated area.

I believe Guerin was built to a capacity of 1200.  They will get there sooner than later.

Question is will they actively recruit and aggressively fight off inroads from Cathedral.  Ultimately, Guerin will have an impact on the HCC, and it will be a negative one

Edited by DT

Just now, DT said:

I believe Guerin was built to a capacity of 1200.  They will get there sooner than later.

Question is will they actively recruit and aggressively fight off inroads from Cathedral.  

It can handle up to around 800 students and the plan for now is not to exceed that number. There is no "recruiting" done at Guerin. Cathedral is still a destination for kids in the deanery but I think they may be losing ground on Westfield & Carmel kids due to their geographic location.

33 minutes ago, GC42 said:

This is the same issue with LCC ... the outflow tends to be much more than the inflow and the vast majority of inflow takes place around 6th-7th grade at the latest and usually from kindergarten/1st grade.  Then there's also the kids from the other Christian schools that either return to their Christian high schools for high school or head to the public schools.

18 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Had to look that up....I have very much lived in a bubble, apparently.

It's not as "hip" here in Indiana ... it's known by its less common, more desperate tag #CBDWarriorFootball. 😀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, foxbat said:

You're avoiding the question.  You're going to seriously tell me that Frankfort's up year this season would keep them from getting beaten by New Pal in their down season? 

Actually we see it in a number of places ... well some of us see it.

In 4A Frankfort's "up year" they defeated 2 1A, 1 2A, and 2 3A schools.  In other words, schools that have pretty much the same talent pool of athletes as they do. As just goes to help show the complete deficiency in the IHSAA's stubborn insistence on sticking with an enrollment based classification system.

11 hours ago, DT said:

There is no doubt that in Ohio, the two best teams in the state settled the championship on the field.  St X whipped Pickerington Central and left no doubt who was king of the hill.

Very, very strong possibility the best team in Ohio is Archbishop Hoban out of Akron. D2 school ranked top 10 in the country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grandpa B said:

That sadly is not our society anymore.    We have an incoming President who wants to pay off college student loans with his very first executive order.    People that worked two jobs, and paid back their loans - too bad.    You get a 2.0 multiplier!  

No we don’t. 

• Sit and spin 1

17 hours ago, Thor77 said:

Back to DTs original point, do you think it’s ok for CC to be at state 6 years after starting a football program?

16 hours ago, DT said:

I dont

So let me get this straight. It's not okay for Covenant Christian to play for a State Championship 6 years after starting a football program, but it is okay for Fishers to win a State Championship 5 years after starting a football program. 

A quick look over at the Covenant Christian Warriors website. They have a roster of 37 players. Pretty much the same players that were 6-5 last year. Avenged a close lost to Lutheran from last year in Sectionals. I would venture to say with that small of a roster they likely do not have Freshman or JV teams. So players are learning all through Varsity games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

So let me get this straight. It's not okay for Covenant Christian to play for a State Championship 6 years after starting a football program, but it is okay for Fishers to win a State Championship 5 years after starting a football program. 

A quick look over at the Covenant Christian Warriors website. They have a roster of 37 players. Pretty much the same players that were 6-5 last year. Avenged a close lost to Lutheran from last year in Sectionals. I would venture to say with that small of a roster they likely do not have Freshman or JV teams. So players are learning all through Varsity games.

Thank you.  Several 3-4 year starters in our senior class.  Yes, we get people from different school districts, but the most effective recruiting we've done is convincing stud basketball and baseball players to join the football team. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Canoer said:

I agree there should be no 1A private schools. The biggest problem I’ve had is these private schools (LCC) will win a couple state titles in a row move up to 2A then tank a couple of seasons back down to 1A , so your telling me LCC couldn’t win 2 sectionals in 2A to stay in 2A ? And then their right back winning state championships !!! Look at Indianapolis Lutheran in Softball they do the same think win a couple state championships up to 2A and then 3 years later back down in 1A their back in the state championship game again !!! They have done it many times !!! Look what happened to Pioneer they did win enough to stay in 2A but up against FWBL couple of kids got hurt then couldn’t compete as well 30 kids on the side line compared to 70 you don’t have the numbers. LCC at one time played separate offense team and defense most 1A schools kids play both ways the entire game ! Ok done with my rant against private schools in 1A 

All the posts in this topic and this is the more ignorant one. Three things:

1. LCC is only being bumped up for it's 2nd time. Not multiple times as you claim.

2. When LCC bumped up to 2A the points needed to stay in 2A was 4 points. LCC lost to the state runner up Tipton by 4 in Sectional and Lost to Rensselaer Central in Semi-State similar to Pioneer. Not really sure LCC's first go around would be considered tanking. You can thank Bobby Cox adjustments in the amount of points to stay in a class. 

3. Last time Pioneer played LCC they hung 70 on them. I am not sure what you have to complain about in terms of competition. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I have friends who had a son play on the first CovenAnt Christian team, and I can tell you that this program was not born with a silver spoon in its mouth. They don't even have a football field. 

Where do they play their "home" games