Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A State Championship- Center Grove (13-0) vs Westfield (12-1)

42 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Should be an interesting game.

Thoughts? Predictions?

I think that Sagarin has it nailed perfectly (though it’s been inaccurate this season more so than ever).

I see another one that is close in the first half and in which CG pulls away in the second.

The blueprint for Westfield is simple...though no one has been able to do so to CG for 4 quarters...

Control the clock, limit CG’s possessions and cash in (touchdowns) in the red zone.  Of course this means running the ball effectively.

Gimme the Trojans by 2-3 possessions.

Somewhere in the 38-21 neighborhood.

I assume they allow running clock even in state championship game?  Reason I ask, if game gets out of hand both sides have more time / opportunity to play reserves on a big stage.  I ask that, because I think the two prime-time games (i.e. 5A and 6A) will be very lopsided.  Just hate to see a championship game end 75-90 minutes after kick-off which could be the case here.  CG had state finals circled on calendar for a long time and they will be very, very prepared.

Center Grove   56

Shamrocks      14

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

I assume they allow running clock even in state championship game?  Reason I ask, if game gets out of hand both sides have more time / opportunity to play reserves on a big stage.  I ask that, because I think the two prime-time games (i.e. 5A and 6A) will be very lopsided.  Just hate to see a championship game end 75-90 minutes after kick-off which could be the case here.  CG had state finals circled on calendar for a long time and they will be very, very prepared.

Center Grove   56

Shamrocks      14

You’ll give me Westfield +42?  Gentlemen’s bet?

CG is a machine right now, and we have seen this with several state champions over the years. Stiff challenge for Westfield, but I'm almost certain that the shamrocks are chomping at the bit to play this game. They will be prepared and relaxed, what happens ,happens. Westfield is the real deal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, southend said:

CG is a machine right now, and we have seen this with several state champions over the years. Stiff challenge for Westfield, but I'm almost certain that the shamrocks are chomping at the bit to play this game. They will be prepared and relaxed, what happens ,happens. Westfield is the real deal.

Agree

This is the best possible 6A matchup we could have hoped for

3 hours ago, southend said:

The obvious pick is Center Grove. Is there anyone that thinks Westfield will win? Oh I’ve read they have a punchers chance or the score might be closer than you think and so on. But that still says you are picking Grove to win. 
Anyone taking Westfield?

I'm taking the points.  Does that count?

32 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Saw where the Trojans are wearing the Home Red jerseys. This is the first time they have worn these in Lucas Oil. They usually go with the all Whites.

Don't believe its a choice, no?

11 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

It's a coin flip.

A coin flip and then the winning coach gets to decide or a coin flip stating "heads you are this, tails you are this?"

15 minutes ago, Jon said:

Some Center Grove Stats from Digital Scout so don’t yell at me if they are wrong.

• Average Score.  CG: 42 – opponent: 7
  • Only 3 games starters have played entire game (AKA running clock for the others).
  • Average rushing yards per game.  Opponent: 38,   CG: 260
  • Average passing yards per game.  Opponent : 119,  CG: 126
  • Best team CG played.  Cathedral Stats: 54 rushing yards, 126 passing yards,  1 offensive TD
  • Six games were opponents had 15 or less rushing yards.  2 teams had negative rushing yards.   Ben Davis: -3, North Central: -9 
  • Most CG Yards per game.   Rushing: 322 against Carmel,  Passing: 265 in 1st half against Columbus North
  • CG Kicking.  30 touchbacks, 2 FG over 45 yards

I am going with CG. CG just has too many offensive weapons and like old saying says Defense Wins Championships.  

In my opinion, "defense wins championships" is the most outdated mantra at all levels of football, perhaps why you called it an "old saying."

In the modern era of football, you need to get to 30 points to win more often than not...

Now, CG turns defense into offense fairly consistently, but that's another story.