Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A State Championship- Center Grove (13-0) vs Westfield (12-1)

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Disagree. Westfield isn’t a bad team. They just aren’t the same level as Center Grove. Westfield is the best team in the state not named Center Grove or Cathedral and deserves to be here. Fighting till the end.

I think Roncalli is just as good as Westfield.. maybe I'm wrong, but I was super impressed with what they did in the state tournament and how they turned it on. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

I think Roncalli is just as good as Westfield.. maybe I'm wrong, but I was super impressed with what they did in the state tournament and how they turned it on. 

Roncalli is better

CG, Cathedral and Roncalli have positioned themselves as the Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson of Indiana High School football

7 hours ago, Grover said:

Take your shots at Westfield now because they are only going to get better. Well coached, great youth program, and a rapidly growing community. 

The argument could be made that Westfield played CG better than any of the big three in the MIC, no?

The games played out differently but Westfield’s margin of defeat (24) was less than Carmel’s (42), BD’s (average of 29) and Warren’s (average of 29)...

They shut them out in the second half...and NO CG was not letting off the gas.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

The argument could be made that Westfield played CG better than any of the big three in the MIC, no?

The games played out differently but Westfield’s margin of defeat (24) was less than Carmel’s (42), BD’s (average of 29) and Warren’s (average of 29)...

They shut them out in the second half...and NO CG was not letting off the gas.

Westfield looked smaller and less physical than I expected.  CG stuck with a very methodical gameplan and didnt need to score 50 plus to win, and they knew that going in.

Zionsville has one last chance to try and salvage the rep of the HCC tonight.  I think they will put up more of a fight 

11 hours ago, Staxawax said:

We can argue all night if the ‘Rocks are #2 in 6A. But they were by far the best in the north and that’s all that matters..

Why is that all that matters? Someone from Fort Wayne, South Bend, or The Region would get crucified for making that statement. 

2 hours ago, temptation said:

So where does that leave Chatard (the team that beat Roncalli by 21)?

The king of hyperbole I tell ya...

Concordia took Chatard to the wire...........does that make them better than Roncalli?

10 hours ago, temptation said:

Loaded with D1 talent on both sides of the ball.  Not that far fetched.

Average Carmel, BD, and WC teams don't get beat by 25. Outside of Center Grove, 6A stunk this year. I'm all for putting CG up there with the all time best, but 6A stunk by their normal standard...........I feel that is more fact than opinion. And because 6A stunk, I'm not ready to crown thisCG team as the best of all time like some others have. Just mentioning them in the same sentence as the great teams of WC and BD is one heck of a compliment. 

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Westfield looked smaller and less physical than I expected.  CG stuck with a very methodical gameplan and didnt need to score 50 plus to win, and they knew that going in.

Zionsville has one last chance to try and salvage the rep of the HCC tonight.  I think they will put up more of a fight 

Center Grove doesn’t need to score more than 20 to win with that defense...regardless of the opponent.

19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Average Carmel, BD, and WC teams don't get beat by 25. Outside of Center Grove, 6A stunk this year. I'm all for putting CG up there with the all time best, but 6A stunk by their normal standard...........I feel that is more fact than opinion. And because 6A stunk, I'm not ready to crown thisCG team as the best of all time like some others have. Just mentioning them in the same sentence as the great teams of WC and BD is one heck of a compliment. 

This CG team is a totally different team than the high flying BD and WC teams from the past.  

CG wins by physically dominating its opponent 

WC and BD won by outrunning its opponents.

Two different types of approaches.  

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

No one said they’re were a clear cut greatest of all-time but the star/recruiting rankings don’t lie.  6A may have been down but it did not “stink”.  The talent was not spread around much this year.  Center Grove and Brownsburg were loaded with talent and the remaining 30 teams had a stud here or there.

Under normal circumstances it may be tempting to also look at margin of victory but with the running clock not being in effect for some of those great BD/Warren teams, that becomes difficult.

6 minutes ago, DT said:

This CG team is a totally different team than the high flying BD and WC teams from the past.  

CG wins by physically dominating its opponent 

WC and BD won by outrunning its opponents.

Two different types of approaches.  

Agree. I would put them on a level playing field. 

10 hours ago, Grover said:

Take your shots at Westfield now because they are only going to get better. Well coached, great youth program, and a rapidly growing community. 

And outstanding facilities!  Westfield lost their first game of the season to Cathedral and the last game of their season to Center Grove, the best team in the state of Indiana.  Congrats to both!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHJIrish said:

And outstanding facilities!  Westfield lost their first game of the season to Cathedral and the last game of their season to Center Grove, the best team in the state of Indiana.  Congrats to both!  

Center Grove's best team ever. Cathedral's best team ever. Westfield is the real deal. Great season for all three programs.

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Agree. I would put them on a level playing field. 

Me too.  I prefer the physically dominating style of play over the wide open run and gun

All 3 teams had superior athletes during their runs, just different type of athlete.  CG is starting to look like Stanford.  Tall, lean long haired guys that can run like the wind.

56 minutes ago, DT said:

Like Whiteland did?

1 hour ago, DT said:

I don’t.  Cathedral/Zionsville may be as lopsided as Roncalli/Hobart.

5 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm not sure it's Cathedral's best team ever, but it would be in the top three for sure!

So the team that ran the table in Ohio and was VERY close to beating what some call the best of all time, isn't Cathedral's best team ever? 

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Center Grove doesn’t need to score more than 20 to win with that defense...regardless of the opponent.

Westfield put up 14 on them and I think part of the issue for Westfield was that they got shell-shocked early by CG's offense.  I think Westfield quickly came off their game trying to close the gap and catch up after that third TD on that pass play.  They had a lot of low percentage passes, even though they made some nice catches, and that just played into CG's hands.  I think if the score was 14-7 CG going into the half, I'm not sure that 20 against Westfield would have done it.

Just now, BTF said:

So the team that ran the table in Ohio and was VERY close to beating what some call the best of all time, isn't Cathedral's best team ever? 

Well, I've seen a lot of Cathedral teams play in the past 65 years and this year's team certainly deserves consideration.  The 1996 undefeated team and the 1963 team would be in the conversation with this year's team in my estimation.  The 1963 team allowed only 18 points the entire season, and 12 of those were in one game.

1 minute ago, PHJIrish said:

Well, I've seen a lot of Cathedral teams play in the past 65 years and this year's team certainly deserves consideration.  The 1996 undefeated team and the 1963 team would be in the conversation with this year's team in my estimation.  The 1963 team allowed only 18 points the entire season, and 12 of those were in one game.

I'll take your word for. I'm really in no position to debate that. Much respect for the Cathedral program.