Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Nickname Hall of Fame revisited

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Ouch......that’s known all the way up in the Region?

I’ve been all over this great state of ours: I know things.

That being said, I’ve always been an aviation buff, so I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the Adams Central Flying Jets.  But why is Flying mentioned, isn’t that what they’re supposed to do?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jakone said:

F.W. North Side Legends (formerly Redskins.) No truth to the rumor they named it after singer John Legend.😁

I assumed that it was named after the former Big Ten conference division.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Perfect.

Just keeping it real, as keeping it can go wrong at times, though.

Call in the subs:

Bedford-North Lawrence Stars.  Evokes too many memories of the greatest reality show in the history on TV: Battle of the Network Stars.  How about an endangered species such as the Panda or Komodo Dragon?

Penn Kingsmen.  The school is coeducational, so their moniker is very inappropriate not to mention sexist.  How about Big Fish?

On the flip side, I think the Avon Orioles, Blackford Bruins, and Carmel Greyhounds are very classy.

1 minute ago, AG said:

I assumed that it was named after the former Big Ten conference division.

Only one current singer is worthy of that: Bruno Mars.

To all my Indy-area friends (both of you): isn’t somebody nicknamed the Space Pioneers?

Washington Hatchets.  Tradition-rich school in a great area of the state.  But in our over-PC world, the word Hatchet is maybe a bit much.  How about Wooden Teeth?  Very original and outdoes other unique nicknames such as the Laville Lancers (a lancer, really?) and South Central Satellites.

Consolidation killed nickname creativity here in SW Indiana.

The Poseyville Poseys merged into North Posey Vikings. 

Haubstadt Elites, Fort Branch Twigs, and Owensville Kickapoos became the Gibson Southern Titans.

Mt Olympus Olympians consolidated to Princeton Tigers.

Holland Dutchmen joined into Southridge Raiders.

Oakland City Acorns are now part of the Wood Memorial Trojans.

And my personal favorite, the Monroe City Blue Jeans consolidated into the South Knox Spartans. 

Around my original area we used to have the Star City Stars, Burnettsville Bees, Buffalo Bison, Bunker Hill Minutemen, Chili Polar Bears, Lincoln Railsplitters, Idaville Green Streaks, and the Twelve Mile Milers. 

Some old favorites are the Cory Apple Boys, Epsom Salts, Farmersburg Plowboys, Goldsmith Gold Bugs, Huntingburg Happy Hunters, Pimento Peppers, Raleigh Sir Walters, Rosedale Hot Shots, St. Paul Blasters, Smithville Skibos (???), Spencer Cops, Summitville Goblins, Swayzee Speedkings, Tippecanoe Police Dogs, West Baden Sprudels (???), and the White River Little Giants. 

https://fliphtml5.com/bumg/hobg This is a very comprehensive list of former and current nicknames. 

9 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Nope. Northwest was IPS. They’ve all scattered to other IPS, Tech, Washington, Attucks, etc.

Got it—been up here way too long...

11 minutes ago, AG said:

Around my original area we used to have the Star City Stars, Burnettsville Bees, Buffalo Bison, Bunker Hill Minutemen, Chili Polar Bears, Lincoln Railsplitters, Idaville Green Streaks, and the Twelve Mile Milers. 

Some old favorites are the Cory Apple Boys, Epsom Salts, Farmersburg Plowboys, Goldsmith Gold Bugs, Huntingburg Happy Hunters, Pimento Peppers, Raleigh Sir Walters, Rosedale Hot Shots, St. Paul Blasters, Smithville Skibos (???), Spencer Cops, Summitville Goblins, Swayzee Speedkings, Tippecanoe Police Dogs, West Baden Sprudels (???), and the White River Little Giants. 

https://fliphtml5.com/bumg/hobg This is a very comprehensive list of former and current nicknames. 

We had the Remington Rifles to the East of us.

20 minutes ago, AG said:

We had the Remington Rifles to the East of us.  Lest we never forget the Monon Railroaders or Mt. Ayr Ayrdales.