Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Nickname Hall of Fame revisited

15 hours ago, Maynard111 said:

No love for the Madison-Grant Argylls? Only school in the country, high school or college, to use that moniker.

Rock on to the fighting socks!

18 hours ago, AG said:

Around my original area we used to have the Star City Stars, Burnettsville Bees, Buffalo Bison, Bunker Hill Minutemen, Chili Polar Bears, Lincoln Railsplitters, Idaville Green Streaks, and the Twelve Mile Milers. 

Some old favorites are the Cory Apple Boys, Epsom Salts, Farmersburg Plowboys, Goldsmith Gold Bugs, Huntingburg Happy Hunters, Pimento Peppers, Raleigh Sir Walters, Rosedale Hot Shots, St. Paul Blasters, Smithville Skibos (???), Spencer Cops, Summitville Goblins, Swayzee Speedkings, Tippecanoe Police Dogs, West Baden Sprudels (???), and the White River Little Giants. 

https://fliphtml5.com/bumg/hobg This is a very comprehensive list of former and current nicknames. 

The Chili Polar Bears is amazing.

And on the PC bandwagon Lewis Cass home of the Kings (the only Kings in the state)

I seem to remember someone stating that the Tipton Blue Devils took it's name from a division of the Army in WWII.

The Noblesville Millers took their name from the millworkers on the south side of downtown.  The mascot is similar to Purdue Pete.

The Sheridan Blackhawks are named after a bird that doesn't exist.  They were not named after the Indian tribe or the helicopter.

• Like 1

From the NLC, I have always appreciated the use of

Concord Minutemen (fitting use from the Revolutionary War)

Plymouth Pilgrims/Rockies (can't have a soft nickname like Pilgrims on the football field or wrestling mat)

9 hours ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

Let's not forget the PC moniker Warriors. Examples: Warren Central, Danville, Whiteland, Covenant Christian, Winamac, Woodlan, Wawasee, and a few others.

At least with Wawasee (can't speak to the others) the Warriors mascot makes sense. When Wawasee High School was founded in 1968, it was named after Chief Wawasee of the Miami tribe.

Trafalgar Redbirds (now 1/3 of Indian Creek Braves).  Apparently at one time Trafalgar High School was known as the Red Devils but a very good basketball player in town was the son of a preacher who refused to allow his son to be known as a Red Devil. So the school changed their nickname. 

1 hour ago, Payne said:

Trafalgar Redbirds (now 1/3 of Indian Creek Braves).  Apparently at one time Trafalgar High School was known as the Red Devils but a very good basketball player in town was the son of a preacher who refused to allow his son to be known as a Red Devil. So the school changed their nickname. 

Thanks for the info.  

6 minutes ago, johnny U said:

I like Coachmen also.  Many were pushing for "Crimson- Blazers" which would have taken a part of the nickname from both Memorial and Central.

Thanks.  Ramblers (taken from Holiday Rambler) could also work.   Or you could go with Chazers (Chargers and Blazers) or an endangered species like the Siberian Tiger (which would be totally bad-ass) or Blue-Throated Macaw.

Other Johnson County nicknames that have gone by the wayside:

Whiteland Wrens (changed to the Warriors in the 1940s)

Clark Lions (now part of Whiteland)

Union Ramblers (now part of Franklin)

Hopewell Tigers (now part of Franklin)

*Needham Bulldogs (now part of Franklin)  

Masonic Home Craftsmen (school located in Franklin, closed as a high school in the 1940s)

Nineveh Eagles (part of Indian Creek)

* I thought Needham High School never went beyond 9th grade and students above that grade normally went to Franklin but somehow Needham fielded a team as an entrant into the 1926 state basketball tournament.

Edited by Payne

6 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

At least with Wawasee (can't speak to the others) the Warriors mascot makes sense. When Wawasee High School was founded in 1968, it was named after Chief Wawasee of the Miami tribe.

So does my alma mater the Maconaquah Braves.  Maconaquah was the Miami Indian name for Frances Slocum, who as a child was captured by the Delaware Indian tribe but then later married the Miami tribe chief.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

From the NLC, I have always appreciated the use of

Concord Minutemen (fitting use from the Revolutionary War)

Plymouth Pilgrims/Rockies (can't have a soft nickname like Pilgrims on the football field or wrestling mat)

Winamac used to be Indians then when consolidation hit between them and star city, they switched to Warriors. 

Winamac was a chief in the Potawatomi but was spelled winamek i believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStatGuy said:

Muda's

Frankfort Hotdogs. 

Actually, it has a great story behind it.  What we call FrankFORT was named in honor of FrankFURT in Germany. The Hot Dog moniker generally evolved.

Weirder yet is the Logansport Berries.  They adopted Felix the Cat, an anthropomorphic black cat with white eyes, a black body, and a giant grin in 1926.  Incidentally, Felix is from London, England.

Edited by Gipper

Before Muda gets mad at me, I better eat some crow.   Our Frankfort became linked with the Frankfurt in Germany (which is way better than the capital of Kentucky) and the Hot Dog name evolved.  Another story is that the FHS basketball was being a Lafayette (not sure if it was Jeff, McCutcheon, Harrison, etc.) and a newspaper reporter referred to them as Hot Dogs and the name stuck.

Name calling does create other insteresting nicknames.   Purdue University and Wabash College used to hook up on the gridiron regularly with the squad from West Lafayette dominating the contests.  This caused a writer for a Crawfordsville news writer to angrily refer to the Purdue squad as “boiler makers” as he accused Purdue hiring day laborers.

Just think of it, if he would have been taking his medication, the sports teams at Purdue could be known as the Sagamores, Prophets, Rambling River Rats, or something else with local flavor, although I think Astronauts would be pretty cool.

Edited by Gipper

16 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

I seem to remember someone stating that the Tipton Blue Devils took it's name from a division of the Army in WWII.

The Noblesville Millers took their name from the millworkers on the south side of downtown.  The mascot is similar to Purdue Pete.

The Sheridan Blackhawks are named after a bird that doesn't exist.  They were not named after the Indian tribe or the helicopter.

WWI not II and it was a French unit that was referred to as Blue Devils
Interesting aside... Elwood changed mascots and colors frequently in the early years and used Blue Devils before they switched permanently to the Panther in the mid to late '20s

I found it interesting that Noblesville's mascot resembled Purdue Pete but for the school song the music is the IU song. Also, all of the schools in Northern Hamilton County that eventually became Hamilton Heights used the IU fight song as well.

I find it interesting that "The Blackhawk" somewhat resembles a vulture only with feathers on the head.

Edited by Maynard111

9 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Muda's

Frankfort Hotdogs. 

The best mascot in the state, hands down.  And nationally renowned: https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/4671/Who_has_the_most_unique_high_school_mascot_in_each_state

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomvellner/completely-bonkers-high-school-mascots

https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/07/21_of_the_strangest_high_schoo.html

Edited by Muda69

Western Boone is a consolidation of the Advance Osceoleons, Dover Blue Devils, Granville Wells Rockets, Jackson Township Rockets, Jamestown Little Giants, Pinnell Purple Dragons & Thorntown Kewasakees.

Veedersburg was the Green Devils, which is the only color besides red and blue I could find for the Devils.

21 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

Rock on to the fighting socks!

The Chili Polar Bears is amazing.

And on the PC bandwagon Lewis Cass home of the Kings (the only Kings in the state)

Cass has covered themselves because their girls swimming team has the nickname of Queenfish and I won't be surprised if some of the other girls teams at Cass do something similar.

10 minutes ago, AG said:

Cass has covered themselves because their girls swimming team has the nickname of Queenfish and I won't be surprised if some of the other girls teams at Cass do something similar.

Nope all other sports at Cass are the Lady Kings ( as a grad of Cass it still makes me laugh today)