Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Nickname Hall of Fame revisited

11 hours ago, Gipper said:

Actually, it has a great story behind it.  What we call FrankFORT was named in honor of FrankFURT in Germany. The Hot Dog moniker generally evolved.

Weirder yet is the Logansport Berries.  They adopted Felix the Cat, an anthropomorphic black cat with white eyes, a black body, and a giant grin in 1926.  Incidentally, Felix is from London, England.

I did a research project in an Indiana History class in college about how this came to be. Not sure how many know this about Logansport, but they used to be the Red Devils. The religious leaders in the town hated that so when they built the new school they renamed the team to Berries because where they built the school they removed a Loganberry patch.  Felix became a thing when the coach brought in a stuffed Felix cat and they took it out to the court and it began a win streak for them. 

16 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

I did a research project in an Indiana History class in college about how this came to be. Not sure how many know this about Logansport, but they used to be the Red Devils. The religious leaders in the town hated that so when they built the new school they renamed the team to Berries because where they built the school they removed a Loganberry patch.  Felix became a thing when the coach brought in a stuffed Felix cat and they took it out to the court and it began a win streak for them. 

I do wonder how the good folks at Earlham College (Society of Friends or Quakers I believe) are with RHS bring nicknamed the Red Devils.

Francesville Zebras + Medaryville Black Horses = West Central Trojans

And also can't forget the Monterey High Flyers, who take their talents to Culver and Winamc now

How about the schools with multiple nicknames:

the Rockies and Pilgrims of Plymouth 

the Fillies and Mustangs of Kouts  

On 11/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, johnny U said:

Is Lions the best nickname the new Elkhart High School could come up with?

I believe that Central and Memorial played for a trophy known as the "Mangy Lion".

So to placate BOTH schools with consolidation, it honestly makes sense to have the moniker of Lions.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gipper said:

Before Muda gets mad at me, I better eat some crow.   Our Frankfort became linked with the Frankfurt in Germany (which is way better than the capital of Kentucky) and the Hot Dog name evolved.  Another story is that the FHS basketball was being a Lafayette (not sure if it was Jeff, McCutcheon, Harrison, etc.) and a newspaper reporter referred to them as Hot Dogs and the name stuck.

I haven't heard the Lafayette story before, but it could be true.  I am not a Frankfort lifer so I'm sure there are some stories regarding the Hot Dog moniker that I have not heard. 

11 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

I read in an article that a fan had a stuffed Felix and ran out onto the court with it after a win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I haven't heard the Lafayette story before, but it could be true.  I am not a Frankfort lifer so I'm sure there are some stories regarding the Hot Dog moniker that I have not heard. 

Got it.  I think it is a hell of a nickname with apparently a life of its own.

8 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Memory tells me it was the Eagles. But memory has been very unkind to me!

Get this man some Prevagen!

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Muda, 2 questions:

How long have you lived in the Frankfort school district?

What year did you join the GID?

This thread has been fun.  I started the other day not realizing it would be this popular.  No one’s beating anybody up or being overtly hostile.  Keep dropping some good ones like the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs—OK, so that one doesn’t play in the IHSAA, but I’m sure you get my drift.

10 hours ago, Gipper said:

This thread has been fun.  I started the other day not realizing it would be this popular.  No one’s beating anybody up or being overtly hostile.  Keep dropping some good ones like the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs—OK, so that one doesn’t play in the IHSAA, but I’m sure you get my drift.

Traverse City (MI) Pit Spitters