Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A State Championship: Chatard vs. Danville

22 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Danville seems to be very one dimensional.

Curious what you saw that makes you think they are one dimensional?  I wish that were true, but in the games I've watched online they appear to be extremely multiple.  They have a monster running back and physical offensive line, they have size and speed at receiver, they have a tall QB who can sling it, they spread you out, they bring everyone in with a power run game.  I don't think they are one-dimensional at all.

I don't have a prediction, other than I hope it will be a great game.  I do think Danville has more talent all around than Chatard, strictly speaking from size, speed, and athleticism. 

1 minute ago, TheDoctor22 said:

Curious what you saw that makes you think they are one dimensional?  I wish that were true, but in the games I've watched online they appear to be extremely multiple.  They have a monster running back and physical offensive line, they have size and speed at receiver, they have a tall QB who can sling it, they spread you out, they bring everyone in with a power run game.  I don't think they are one-dimensional at all.

I don't have a prediction, other than I hope it will be a great game.  I do think Danville has more talent all around than Chatard, strictly speaking from size, speed, and athleticism. 

I only watched webo semi state game v southridge.  I watched Chatard regional and ss games.  I’d take Chatard +7 for $

6 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

More talent? Eh, somehow I’m not buying that. I’ll admit I’ve not seen 1 minute of film despite the fact I live 6 miles from Danville High School. SOS very much favors Chatard. Cathedral, Merrillville and Marian certainly prepare you more than Webo and Tri West.

But I’m also not buying the “remember they beat us when you were freshmen” thing. Danville’s history with Chatard the last 20 years is dismal at best..... many of the games absolute blowouts. That might motivate a team more than the last loss. But, either way after the first set of downs it comes down to preparedness and execution. 
Danville is the one that will need to up their game as no one they’ve played prepares them. I’m hoping they do and it’s a great final!

14 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

More talent? Eh, somehow I’m not buying that. I’ll admit I’ve not seen 1 minute of film despite the fact I live 6 miles from Danville High School. SOS very much favors Chatard. Cathedral, Merrillville and Marian certainly prepare you more than Webo and Tri West.

But I’m also not buying the “remember they beat us when you were freshmen” thing. Danville’s history with Chatard the last 20 years is dismal at best..... many of the games absolute blowouts. That might motivate a team more than the last loss. But, either way after the first set of downs it comes down to preparedness and execution. 
Danville is the one that will need to up their game as no one they’ve played prepares them. I’m hoping they do and it’s a great final!

We finally agree.

7 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

More talent? Eh, somehow I’m not buying that. I’ll admit I’ve not seen 1 minute of film

Just my opinion having watched both teams.  Take a look at some of their games and let me know what you think.  They have a 6'4" 230 lb WR/TE that can run, a 230 lb RB that can run, a tall, athletic QB who has a cannon, and plenty of other skill players that can hurt you.  I'm not saying Chatard isn't talented, because they have some really good football players.  I just mean more from a measurable or "on paper" point of view.  To my knowledge (and I'm several years away from being "in the know"), Chatard doesn't have a single player with D1 or D2 offers on their team.  We saw in the Merrillville game that talent isn't everything, but Chatard definitely doesn't have a huge speed/size advantage like they did in some of the 2000s games.

Either way two very good football teams.  Very excited to watch this weekend!

13 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

But I’m also not buying the “remember they beat us when you were freshmen” thing.

100% agree with this.  

Just curious - what are the chances that BOTH teams will be in 4A next year?  Obviously Chatard will be, but Danville was one of the largest 3A's this time around.  

As far as this game, I'm not sure a 2017 matchup under a different coach means a whole lot.  I watched parts of both games last Friday and came away impressed with Danville's speed in limiting Southridge.  They also had a some interesting schemes to take advantage of what Southridge tries to do defensively.  

Chatard looked solid on both sides.  

49 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Just curious - what are the chances that BOTH teams will be in 4A next year?

If Danville wins, they will be in 4A due to success factor I believe.  They won regionals last year, so a state championship would give them the points to bump up.

Someone from Danville would have to comment on their enrollment.  Not sure if they would have seen enough growth the last 2 years to bump regardless?  I'm sure it would depend on who else is moving class to class.

I'll throw my 2 cents (if it's even worth that much) on the match-up this weekend. First of all, I know ZERO about Chatard, so I'll just assume they are the juggernaut they always are. 

Danville has some D.U.D.E.S that can flat out play. Physical, aggressive, skilled - and seemed to be very well coached. If there is one thing that might hold them back from taking down Chatard, it could be their lack of "creativity" on offense. You pretty well know what you're going to get - it's just a matter of if you can stop it. No one in the South put up much of a fight, so hard to tell. 

Good luck to both teams this weekend.  

ps...How in the world is Chatard 3A?? This SF thing seems awfully "flawed", IMO 

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

SOS very much favors Chatard. Cathedral, Merrillville and Marian certainly prepare you more than Webo and Tri West.

Chatard has beaten 2 teams handily (Merrillville and Roncalli) better then Danville, according to the Sagarin Ratings.  Plus East Central who is ranked 1 spot lower.  Plus played Cathedral, Brebeuf twice, FW Concordia (#4 team in 3A) and Mishawaka Marian (#3 in 3A).  That's a rough schedule for a 3A team.  One that they handled very well. 

Danville unfortunately lost, by far, their toughest game off of their schedule when they cancelled on Mooresville early in the year.  Which would have been a great gauge for this game.  And also lost the Lebanon game, which would have been their 4th toughest regular season game.  Just bad luck that two of the better games for them had to be cancelled.   

ps...How in the world is Chatard 3A?? This SF thing seems awfully "flawed", IMO 

They bumped up the very first year of the SF when you needed 4 points to stay up.  Then the IHSAA put them in the sectional with Roncalli (which they won the first year) and they then lost to New Pal in Regional (actually closely contested until late 4th Quarter) at the start of New Pal’s run up to 5A.  The next year they lost to Roncalli in Sectional after beating them in the regular season.  They fell 3 points short.

Now it only takes 2 points.

Edited by Lysander

10 hours ago, superjay said:

I got Chatard by 100, because tradition, history, and culture wins championships.  

There you go @superjay, you are finally coming around on my Trojans!

I jest, I jest... I know you'd rather eat nails than see a Chatard victory.  I also understood the sarcasm and agree with you.  The past will have zero outcome on this game.

I think Chatard wins this game, but it will be a physical one for sure.  3A can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Chatard will be gone for at least a couple years, maybe more!  Next will be re-alignment for the 3A tournament and Danville we go back north.  The south will be Tri-West and a PAC school in the semi state next year and so on and so on. (notice I didn't say which PAC school)

I also think that there will be 5 P/P schools that win the state title this year.  What a shame.......Surely I jest!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

The past will have zero outcome on this game.

16 hours ago, Staxawax said:

“remember they beat us when you were freshmen”

The two wins over Chatard have fundamentally changed the culture of the Danville football team.  Sure, Six Shooter isn't there anymore and those kids have graduated and this all happened years ago.  But, I don't believe the "Chatard pedestal" will be a factor for the Danville kids because I would bet they remember beating Chatard.  I would bet the Chatard coaching staff remembers those games well also.  Which is why I am looking forward to this game so much and the storylines that go along with it.

Hopefully, this is a competitive game.  Danville is on a roll, has a ton of talent, and should be really confident.  Chatard is on life support, talent is way down this year, and have struggled, especially on offense, the past few weeks.  This is probably the first time in a long time that Chatard is a big underdog going into Thanksgiving weekend.  But, they will play hard and with some luck can make a game of it.  Whichever team wins will be deserving.  Good luck to both.  Hoping for a safe competitive game with no injuries. 

• Haha 1