Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

35 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

North lost a lot.  But Joey’s a great coach and I’ve heard they had some solid talent on the bench last year.

Yes, they do return some solid players too. Should be a good team this year.

Question mark is Central and how they will overcome the season. 

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Football Digest preseason 

5A: 

Castle- not ranked 

North-not ranked

4A: 

10-Memorial 

Jasper-not ranked 

Central- not ranked 

2A: 

3- Mater Dei 

Castle not ranked? Memorial ranked 10th? Jasper unranked? Wow! Not much love for us down here. Castle was a semi state team a year ago and I expect them to improve from last year. Jasper will be very good as well, maybe not what they were a year ago but not far from it. And Memorial at 10 is a joke to me but what does a Llama know?  

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Castle not ranked? Memorial ranked 10th? Jasper unranked? Wow! Not much love for us down here. Castle was a semi state team a year ago and I expect them to improve from last year. Jasper will be very good as well, maybe not what they were a year ago but not far from it. And Memorial at 10 is a joke to me but what does a Llama know?  

I saw the 2A preseason rankings first, and thought that was a good place for MD at 3. Then I saw the other ones and was very surprised. I think Memorial should be around the Top 7 mark, Jasper Top 10. Then Castle in the Top 10 too. I do think if North does have a good season, they will be ranked sometime too

On 7/24/2021 at 4:41 PM, tango said:

Ev. Memorial is a 3A playing up in 4A, with less than 550 students, so being ranked at all is a surprise if you ask me. 

I’m not surprised even in the slightest. There are lots of data to show P&Ps in our state (when coupled with quality coaching, tradition, support etc.) consistently punch far above their weight class vs what their enrollment number alone might indicate.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Two things jump out at me.

1. I didn't realize Bloomington South had two star recruits move in.  That could make for an even tougher sectional - along with Ev and Bton Norths. 

2. Sloan Cox is listed as a player to watch. There were some rumblings that he might not play for the Knights this year.  I guess that was just a rumor. 

50 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Two things jump out at me.

1. I didn't realize Bloomington South had two star recruits move in.  That could make for an even tougher sectional - along with Ev and Bton Norths. 

2. Sloan Cox is listed as a player to watch. There were some rumblings that he might not play for the Knights this year.  I guess that was just a rumor. 

Your first point stood out too me, since the #1 player in the State/ IU Commit Dasan McCullough and his brother are both on Bloomington South. Which should cause a lot of problems with Castle this year. Even Bloomington North should be a little tough too. Though I am high on a Castle postseason, they could be bounced after the first round depending their opponent. 

Your second point is another well one too. And could be a big hit on Castle if the rumors are true, due to OT Virgin transferring to Gibson Southern 

Edited by TigerFan20

Interesting Castle hasn’t won the siac in 9 years. Biggest school, most resources, and 1st every year in siac all around sports trophy. Head scratcher IMO. It would be different if they didn’t have good numbers with some dudes.  

• Like 1

Under Coach John Lidy, who coached Castle for 30 years, Castle only won the SIAC title 4 (5) times.

• 1975 SIAC "B" - did not include the city teams
  • 1982 - 3A State Champions
  • 1984 - Co-Champions - tied with Mater Dei. Both teams did not play each other that year

Not sure what is meant by having the most resources. They don't even have field turf. There seems to be more to it than meets the eye.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paradise1960 said:

Under Coach John Lidy, who coached Castle for 30 years, Castle only won the SIAC title 4 (5) times.

• 1975 SIAC "B" - did not include the city teams
  • 1982 - 3A State Champions
  • 1984 - Co-Champions - tied with Mater Dei. Both teams did not play each other that year

Not sure what is meant by having the most resources. They don't even have field turf. There seems to be more to it than meets the eye.

Even bigger head a scratcher IMO. 

30 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Even bigger head a scratcher IMO. 

Well in terms in SIAC titles they are 7th overall 

All time top 10 

Reitz- 29 

Memorial- 14 

Central- 11 

Tell City- 9 

Mater Dei- 8 

Bosse- 8 

Castle- 7 

Jasper- 7 

Harrison- 6 

Boonville- 3

I do find it very surprising that Bosse has more titles than Castle, probably due to their early 90’s teams

12 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

A source tells me that Sloan is getting Division I track interest after a strong junior year. I've seen plenty of FB guys take the track route through college to avoid the pounding on the body, especially linemen.

11 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Well in terms in SIAC titles they are 7th overall 

All time top 10 

Reitz- 29 

Memorial- 14 

Central- 11 

Tell City- 9 

Mater Dei- 8 

Bosse- 8 

Castle- 7 

Jasper- 7 

Harrison- 6 

Boonville- 3

I do find it very surprising that Bosse has more titles than Castle, probably due to their early 90’s teams

Being from Evansville and a child of the 80s, IMO the state titles justifiably influenced the opinion of Castle's standing in the SIAC.  They were the first SIAC to win a playoff state title and had the the most (2) for a long time until Reitz and Memorial won theirs.   

A couple of months ago I heard this mentioned and I did not believe it when I heard that Mater Dei had more SIAC titles than Castle and had to go look it up.  (Mater Dei did not win their first SIAC until 1984, so 4 years after Castle was folded into single division SIAC with the rest of the city schools)

9 hours ago, OldHatchetHog76 said:

A source tells me that Sloan is getting Division I track interest after a strong junior year. I've seen plenty of FB guys take the track route through college to avoid the pounding on the body, especially linemen.

That’s new info to me, didn’t know he was T&F athlete