Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

12 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Memorial looked rusty.

I agree, but they always look rusty during the scrimmages. Ellspermann is who I am worried most, good news is that he seemed quick last night. We should be fine in my opinion 

Edited by TigerFan20

Evansville Bosse (0-0) at Vincennes Lincoln (0-0)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Inman Field.
COACHES: Stephan Mullen, 0-0 in 1st year at Bosse. Levi Salters, 29-17 in 5th year at Vincennes.
LAST YEAR'S SAGARIN RATINGS: Vincennes, 50.61, 134th overall, 20th in 3A. Bosse, 18.95, 255th overall, 56th in 3A.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Vincennes, 7-6
LAST MEETING: Vincennes, 41-13, Aug. 21, 2020.
Evansville Central (0-0) at Evansville Mater Dei (0-0)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Reitz Bowl.
COACHES: Andy Zirkelbach, 0-0 in 1st year at Central, 3-37 in 5th year overall. Mike Goebel, 236-76 in 25th year at Mater Dei.
LAST YEAR'S SAGARIN RATINGS: Central, 86.48, 21st overall, 4th in 4A. Mater Dei, 65.25, 77th overall, 4th in 2A.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Mater Dei, 19-16
LAST MEETING: Central, 21-0, Aug. 21, 2020.
Evansville North (0-0) at Castle (0-0)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Lidy Field.
COACHES: Joey Paridaen, 11-19 in 4th year at North, 47-52 in 10th year overall. Doug Hurt, 112-62 in 16th year at Castle.
LAST YEAR'S SAGARIN RATINGS: Castle, 74.97, 38th overall, 11th in 5A. North, 62.18, 90th overall, 22nd in 5A.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Castle, 35-8
LAST MEETING: North, 14-7, Aug. 21, 2020.
Evansville Reitz (0-0) at Evansville Harrison (0-0)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Romain Stadium.
COACHES: Cory Brunson, 4-7 in 2nd year at Reitz, 38-47 in 9th year overall. Mo Sutton, 1-9 in 2nd year at Harrison.
LAST YEAR'S SAGARIN RATINGS: Reitz, 49.91, 137th overall, 35th in 4A. Harrison, 30.73, 213th overall, 51st in 4A.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Reitz, 35-10
LAST MEETING: Reitz, 56-7, Oct. 23, 2020, sectional.
Jasper (0-0) at Evansville Memorial (0-0)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Enlow Field.
COACHES: Tony Lewis, 13-7 in 3rd year at Jasper, 144-73 in 20th year overall. John Hurley, 108-59 in 14th year at Memorial.
LAST YEAR'S SAGARIN RATINGS: Jasper, 73.62, 46th overall, 8th in 4A. Memorial, 70.39, 56th overall, 10th in 4A.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Jasper, 18-10
LAST MEETING: Jasper, 14-3, Aug. 21, 2020.

Looking to Friday night lights. Great time of the year.  Good matchups right out of the gate. 
VL  35-14

MD 27 -21

Castle 35 - 13

Reitz 28 - 13

Memorial 24 - 14 

on a side note it’s remarkable John Hurley has guided his teams to 5 state championship games in just 13 years. He is the 🐐 of SW football coaches. 

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

All I know is that Memorial is #1

Memorial, Mater Dei, Gibson Southern, Castle, Central are their top 5. Four of those 5 will be able to sort things out over the year. Unfortunately where GS fits in will have to be fodder for message boards and Twitter polls. 

Should be an exciting week 1. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

I don’t understand the love for Central this year. I see them more as a 500 type team. With Mater Dei, Memorial, Castle, all clear favorites. 

When a team has a string of success like Central’s had, pre-season sentiment will linger.  A winning (or losing) culture is a real thing.

They lost a lot, yes.  And they once again have a new coach.  But they’ve got a capable QB in Herdes back - and a couple guys in Cooper and J. Boberg to anchor the D.

Personally, I think Jasper and Reitz finish ahead of them.  And maybe North, too.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

44 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

I don’t understand the love for Central this year. I see them more as a 500 type team. With Mater Dei, Memorial, Castle, all clear favorites. 

I agree, I don’t think their offense won’t be as good as last year, but their D should be decent enough. Let’s see how they look against Mater Dei on Friday

Edited by TigerFan20

Just now, TigerFan20 said:

I agree, I don’t think their offense won’t be as good as last year, but their D should be decent enough. Let’s see how they look against Mater Dei on Friday

I don't know how good Central will be by the end of the year. I just hope they are 0-1 Saturday morning. 

• Like 1

Predictions: 

Bosse at VL

I'll easily take VL over Bosse, I don't think they should have too much trouble with the Bulldogs in this one. However I can also see them containing Bosse's DE Ashton Steward pretty hard at a great size of 6'5 260. Give me the Alices by 20 

Central at Mater Dei 

Last season, we saw Central stump Mater Dei, 21-0. However, the outcome will be a lot different this year, due to Central losing a large majority of their offensive power, while retaining some studs on their defense in Cooper, Kelly and Boberg. Though they lost most of their offense, they do return their QB Blake Herdes and a nice addition in RB Porter Rodes from Westfield. On the other side of the field, Mater Dei returns a majority of the starters from their Semi-State run. As their offense will be lead by Jr. Mason Wunderlich behind a massive O-line with plenty of weapons to chose from. With the likes of RB Joey Pierre and SR Eli McDurmon. On the defensive side they return players like Ralph, Money, and some new faces. Mater Dei is also one of the favorites in 2A. 

This will be a hard fought battle between the 2 schools, but Mater Dei will prevail by 12  

North at Castle 

This was a very good game last season as it was a defensive heavy game with North winning it 14-7. After a great 5-0 start in the SIAC, North dropped their last 5 games of the season. They do lose RB Cape Presswood, OL Gage Sales, and some from their line. But will return players such as QB Ethan Brawdy, and WR's Mitchell and Gehlhausen to back their offensive power. Defensively, they do lose  leading tackler Gage Sales, Mercer, and Tichenor. But returns Hankins, Happe, and Johnson to lead the defense. Coming from their unexpected Semi State run, Castle is one of the SIAC contenders in the conference trying to win their first title in over 10 years. Offensively, they return QB Tilly, OT Meyer, RB Guerzini, and WR Aigner. However, they did lose 4 starters on their O-line due to graduation or transferring. Defensively, the return 3 of their 5 top tacklers in Watson, Reff and Hughes and also Butler. But loses LB Sutton and their sack leaders. 

I think this one will be a close one at first, but Castle will pull out very late in the 4th Quarter to win by 14 

Reitz at Harrison 

Reitz should handle business and will win in my opinion, though Harrison does have some nice athletes in Wadlington, Thomas, and Whipple behind 6'6 350 Treyvon Williams. But at the end Reitz will do its business and wins it by 25. 

Jasper at Memorial 

Right off the back, 2 SIAC heavyweights will face off in the annual first game of the season, with Jasper prevailing last year, 14-3. An SIAC Contender, Jasper will definitely be a problem this year and will be major problem for Memorial. Though there are no stats from last year I can go off of, Jasper does lose their QB Blake Mann, RB Lance Dawkins, OL Pope, and some others(correct me if I am wrong). But, every year Jasper is a pretty tough team to face in Week 1, so I am expecting a battle from them. Memorial returns 20 starters from last year's 8-4 team, who lost to Central in the sectional championship and will definitely be a contender in the SIAC and possibly 4A. Offensively, they only lose QB Colton Pence, though a big loss for the team. However, they will be lead by Jr QB Caleb Ellspermann, who will be behind a massive O-line with 6-8 guys for offensive weapons. Defensively, the frontline will be spearheaded by the Farmer Brothers, with a strong linebacker core of various players. 

The Memorial players still have that fresh memory of their loss last season to Jasper, but it won't be a tough victory, as Jasper has the capability of upsetting Memorial for the 2nd year in the row. My pick? Memorial by at least 9

Central always has athletic RBs. Their QB is a nice 3 sport athlete. They have kids on the outside who can flat out run. Normally tough hard nosed kids at LB. I think there are 4 maybe 5 teams that could be anywhere from 5-4 to 7-2.  Central is in that group. JMO. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Nice article in the Courier today on Central. They don't seem to be lacking confidence that's for sure. 

I suspect Rodes will be a big contributor for them the next 3 seasons.  He’s gotten rave reviews from a couple people whose opinions I value - and he performed very well in their scrimmage.  Considering all they lost from their 3-headed monster running game of a year ago, he could be just what the doctor ordered for the Bears.

2 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Nice article in the Courier today on Central. They don't seem to be lacking confidence that's for sure. 

Still a big wildcard in my opinion, getting excited for this MD-Central game to see how that turns out. But the Rodes kid does seem like a versatile player on the offense judging by the GS-Central scrimmage last Friday.