Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

22 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Not to sound rude, but their sideline was very thin 

I’ve been told they had some players who haven’t exactly warmed to Coach Zirkelbach’s slightly more strenuous brand of discipline.

I don’t know if that means they quit or were suspended or what.  But there’s no question they had fewer players on the sideline last night than were listed on the roster and than they had their first couple games.

3 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I’ve been told they had some players who haven’t exactly warmed to Coach Zirkelbach’s slightly more strenuous brand of discipline.

I don’t know if that means they quit or were suspended or what.  But there’s no question they had fewer players on the sideline last night than were listed on the roster and than they had their first couple games.

Good explanation too, I did see 10-12 players too in street clothes, with some on crutches

14 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Good explanation too, I did see 10-12 players too in street clothes, with some on crutches

If what I heard was true (and it was a good source, but second hand), then you just have to feel for the pressures HS coaches have these days.

Apparently, Coultis was more permissive.  And that’s part of the problem AZ has.  Burgess was tougher (as evidenced by his dismissing the Evans kid).  And we saw how long he lasted.

How is a coach supposed to win while insisting on at least some accountability for off-the-field stuff?  It’s a heckuva dilemma…and obviously some coaches feel the best answer is to just look the other way.

If what I heard was right, my hat’s off to Zirkelbach for trying to instill a better culture…even if at the expense of his team’s success on the field.  That has to be hard considering how much success they’ve had of late.

1 minute ago, MHSTigerFan said:

If what I heard was true (and it was a good source, but second hand), then you just have to feel for the pressures HS coaches have these days.

Apparently, Coultis was more permissive.  And that’s part of the problem AZ has.  Burgess was tougher (as evidenced by his dismissing the Evans kid).  And we saw how long he lasted.

How is a coach supposed to win while insisting on at least some accountability for off-the-field stuff?  It’s a heckuva dilemma…and obviously some coaches feel the best answer is to just look the other way.

If what I heard was right, my hat’s off to Zirkelbach for trying to instill a better culture…even if at the expense of his team’s success on the field.  That has to be hard considering how much success they’ve had of late.

Now that I think about it, it was Coultis who dismissed Tor’jon, wasn’t it?

Edited by MHSTigerFan

3 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Apparently, Coultis was more permissive.  And that’s part of the problem AZ has.  tougher (as evidenced by his dismissing the Evans kid).  And we saw how long he lasted.

I hope AZ has a successful career, I think it’s great job starting a newer culture. I did here some other things regrading Central, but I will keep that in private. 

10 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:
10 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Now that I think about it, it was Coultis who dismissed Tor’jon, wasn’t it?

Yes, it was him who dismissed Tor’jon

Week 3 notes 

Positives: 

-Welcome to the win column North, took a hard fought victory against Harrison, but a win is a win. Maybe an 2nd straight win against Reitz this week?

-Those Tigers are ball hungry. 4 forced turnovers by the Memorial Defense and nice offensive plays in a 42-7 romp over Central, spoiling senior night for the Bears. Memorial is slowly getting better, let’s see how they do against Mater Dei. 

-Tony Lewis and Jasper, that is all. I will feel bad for Bosse come Friday night.

- MD gets a nice little win over VL and improves 3-0 in the SIAC, big one against Memorial coming up. Revenge game from last year’s 13-10 loss

-Castle disrupts an 2-0 Bosse in a 49-0 romp, where Castle was booming on all cylinders. These next 2 games should be good practice until the Reitz game.

Negatives: 

- After taking an early 6-0 advantage over North after the 1Q, North eventually went on a 21-0 run taking full control, the woes continue for Harrison, will they eventually win a game? 

- Poor showing by the Bears on their own field after 2 close fights against Mater Dei (L 14-24) and Bosse (L 34-36), especially on Senior Night. The Bears seemed to have given up after halftime, though to be fair, they were low on depth. Can the Bears change their season around or will they face their first losing season in 7 years? 

-Man oh man Reitz! What Happened Friday night? It seemed like everything was going to super well in the 1st half and poof, Jasper drops 28 points on you in the 2nd half. These next 4 weeks will be huge for the Panthers 

-Nothing much say Alices, going to be a long season, but I will give you credit for holding Mater Dei below 35 points in the game. 

-Poor Bosse, 2-0 start for the first time in 27 years and looking forward to make an statement against Castle. And well, the night did not pan out as you wanted, and now face an gauntlet on your remaining schedule for the next 5 weeks. 

Edited by TigerFan20

16 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Week 3 notes 

Positives: 

-Welcome to the win column North, took a hard fought victory against Harrison, but a win is a win. Maybe an 2nd straight win against Reitz this week?

-Those Tigers are ball hungry. 4 forced turnovers by the Memorial Defense and nice offensive plays in a 42-7 romp over Central, spoiling senior night for the Bears. Memorial is slowly getting better, let’s see how they do against Mater Dei. 

-Tony Lewis and Jasper, that is all. I will feel bad for Bosse come Friday night.

- MD gets a nice little win over VL and improves 3-0 in the SIAC, big one against Memorial coming up. Revenge game from last year’s 13-10 loss

-Castle disrupts an 2-0 Bosse in a 49-0 romp, where Castle was booming on all cylinders. These next 2 games should be good practice until the Reitz game.

Negatives: 

- After taking an early 6-0 advantage over North after the 1Q, North eventually went on a 21-0 run taking full control, the woes continue for Harrison, will they eventually win a game? 

- Poor showing by the Bears on their own field after 2 close fights against Mater Dei (L 14-24) and Bosse (L 34-36), especially on Senior Night. The Bears seemed to have given up after halftime, though to be fair, they were low on depth. Can the Bears change their season around or will they face their first losing season in 7 years? 

-Man oh man Reitz! What Happened Friday night? It seemed like everything was going to super well in the 1st half and poof, Jasper drops 28 points on you in the 2nd half. These next 4 weeks will be huge for the Panthers 

-Nothing much say Alices, going to be a long season, but I will give you credit for holding Mater Dei below 35 points in the game. 

The final score wasn't much of an indicator, but Lincoln left the Reitz Bowl with a much better feeling than they did a week ago. This was only a 7-0 game until the waning seconds of the 1st half when MD made it 14-0 at the break. If they are going muster a win or two in the conference, it's gonna have to be on the back of the defense. So many young guys and first time players offensively. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

The final score wasn't much of an indicator, but Lincoln left the Reitz Bowl with a much better feeling than they did a week ago. This was only a 7-0 game until the waning seconds of the 1st half when MD made it 14-0 at the break. If they are going muster a win or two in the conference, it's gonna have to be on the back of the defense. So many young guys and first time players offensively. 

That’s some good news for VL then, I only saw the final score and the game box, so my knowledge of the game, other than stats, is little 

• Like 1

MasseyRatings predictions 

Central(-20) over VL, 72% chance of victory for the Bears 

Castle(-32) over Harrison, 98% chance of victory for the Knights 

Memorial(-10) over Mater Dei, 72% chance of victory for the Tigers 

Jasper (-28) over Bosse, 92% chance of victory for the Cats 

Reitz (-7) over North, 62% chance of victory for the Panthers

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

MasseyRatings predictions 

Central(-20) over VL, 72% chance of victory for the Bears 

Castle(-32) over Harrison, 98% chance of victory for the Knights 

Memorial(-10) over Mater Dei, 72% chance of victory for the Tigers 

Jasper (-28) over Bosse, 92% chance of victory for the Cats 

Reitz (-7) over North, 62% chance of victory for the Panthers

I think Central should be favored to beat VL. But 20?  I have a hard time imagining the Central team I saw the other night beating too many teams by 20.

MD/Memorial seems off, too.  That game is probably a pick ‘em….maybe MD a slight favorite.  Should be a good game.

43 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I think Central should be favored to beat VL. But 20?  I have a hard time imagining the Central team I saw the other night beating too many teams by 20.

MD/Memorial seems off, too.  That game is probably a pick ‘em….maybe MD a slight favorite.  Should be a good game.

About to say that, probably not going to pick who wins that game, too close to say

45 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Guessing the Alices feel good against Central?

Can't speak for the coaching staff...just my opinion based on some things that happened last Friday.  And the simple fact that Vincennes kids aren't going to quit. 0-3 in the SIAC is not a death sentence. They see this as a great opportunity to get in the win column and will want to seize it at home. And home field at Inman, I believe, takes on a new meaning as a member of this conference as compared to the Big 8. We fared pretty well at home in 2020, even in defeat. 

Edited by SEAL_63

3 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

Can't speak for the coaching staff...just my opinion based on some things that happened last Friday.  And the simple fact that Vincennes kids aren't going to quit. 0-3 in the SIAC is not a death sentence. They see this as a great opportunity to get in the win column and will want to seize it at home. And home field at Inman, I believe, takes on a new meaning as a member of this conference as compared to the Big 8. 

In my opinion, I think VL will give Central a fight this time. Unsure who will win, should be a defensive slug fest o/u 35

13 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

In my opinion, I think VL will give Central a fight this time. Unsure who will win, should be a defensive slug fest o/u 35

I'll take the under LOL. And I'm not discounting Central's ability in anyway. But they are clearly going through rebuild similar to VL. Levi Salters and co will need to have their best game to date to pull of the W.

4 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

I'll take the under LOL. And I'm not discounting Central's ability in anyway. But they are clearly going through rebuild similar to VL. Levi Salters and co will need to have their best game to date to pull of the W.

I think it will end up being like a 18-10 type of game. VL defense needs to do their best to force turnovers on the Central O, since it’s possible. If you guys do, I think the Alices will be happy Friday night. For Central, they need to figure out a better offensive game plan and probably rework their O-line again. Since, correct me if I am wrong, VL does have a speedy defense

Edited by TigerFan20

15 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I think it will end up being like a 18-10 type of game. VL defense needs to do their best to force turnovers on the Central O, since it’s possible. If you guys do, I think the Alices will be happy Friday night. For Central, they need to figure out a better offensive game plan and probably rework their O-line again. Since, correct me if I am wrong, VL does have a speedy defense

Yes, speedy would be pretty accurate. Now that has been put to the test against higher competition no doubt. But they have guys who can set the edge. And their secondary is probably one of the most experienced units on the team. However, we've struggled with some young guys in the front 7 so far this year. But one thing you can count on with a Coach Salters' (he was a middle linebacker back in the day) squad is a hard nosed, hot pursuit defense, and the unit you will see improve the most year in and out. The problem the past two years has been the amount of time the defense is on the field and just wearing out.

Edited by SEAL_63
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Lots of young talent on the VL Defense.  Seemed most were Sophomores & Juniors on D.  DBs are very fast and come up on the run very quickly.  They gave MD fits with the blitz the entire 1st half.   

• Like 1

I like VL over Central. Not only do the bears lack overall talent and depth it sounds like the wheels are coming off the bus. Lots of finger pointing by players, asst coaches, and dads that are too close to the program. 

Please let Memorial draw Central week 10.  

Picks: 

It will be a fun Friday night in Vincennes, Give me the Alices over the Bears by 7 

It will be an early night for the Knights in Paradise, Castle has a running clock after the 2H, Castle by 35

Sorry Bulldogs, but Jasper is the better team Friday night. Jasper by 38 

Big night for North and Reitz at the famous Reitz Bowl. I’ll take Reitz in this one by 10

Game of the Week

Memorial. Mater Dei. Hurley vs Goebels. O/u 45, my pick? I pick the under

• Like 1

If Memorial gets lucky and wins this weekend I’ve been told that the west side nut club members will ban them from the fall festival and if any of the players or fans dare try to show up that they’ll be sprayed with ski through a fire hose…this is just what I heard 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1