Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

8 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

If Memorial gets lucky and wins this weekend I’ve been told that the west side nut club members will ban them from the fall festival and if any of the players or fans dare try to show up that they’ll be sprayed with ski through a fire hose…this is just what I heard 

That would be such a shame 😉

Central @ VL - Central should win this game but I just don't think they get it done. VL will be hungry for their first win and Central making the long trip to VL after a tough start to the season does not favor them.

Harrison @ Castle - The Knights win big in this one and the starters get a second half rest.

Memorial vs MD - This one really could go either way and will be a great one to watch. I will take MD winning by one score.

Jasper @ Bosse - The Wildcats win big in this one. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, I don't think they will have an answer for the Jasper offense.

North @ Reitz - Should be a good matchup. I believe both North and Reitz are missing some key players due to injury. I think Reitz will be hungry to win this next stretch of games after last season. I will take the home team winning by at least a couple scores.

Edited by Football Fanatic

This might be the toughest week of the season so far to pick the games.  Jasper and Castle should have no trouble, but the other three games could go either way in my opinion. Unlike past years, I haven't watched any film, so I know little about a few teams, but here's my thoughts:

I would not be surprised to see VL beat Central.  Central has played a tough schedule so far, but whether it was players out with injury, contact tracing, or whatever, they really struggled Friday night.  I expected a much closer game, especially after MD only scored 24 and gave up 14 against the Bears in Wk. 1.  Being 0-3 will challenge the morale, so let's see how Central responds.  Seeing some posts that may suggest things are unraveling a little bit.

I would favor Reitz over North, especially if the game at Jasper was closer than the score indicated.  North doesn't seem to have that break-away kind of player this year. 

It's really a shame.  Enlow would be rocking this week, but instead we get Memorial hosting MD at Harrison's Romain Stadium.  The last 2 years this game has been very low-scoring.  I agree with TigerFan20 that it will come down to the trenches.  Memorial has an explosive player in Xavier Tyler, who MD will have to key on.  I'm not sure why, but Memorial doesn't seem to be calling many WR screens this year.  Memorial has a nice kicker, but the snap & hold have been a little spotty so far.  I could see the game coming down to a FG.

Trivia of the week: Mater Dei @ Memorial will be the 14th time Coaches Goebel and Hurley have matched up.  Over the last 14 years there have been TWENTY head coaches at EVSC schools. (Bosse - 5, Central - 4, Harrison - 5, North - 3, Reitz - 3.)

There must be something in the communion wine.  

• Like 1

Judging by my knowledge about Mater Dei is that they are a 2nd half team, in my opinion. They way I looked at it: 

Game 1: Looks like they struggled a bit against Central in the 1H, but eventually pulled out a 10 point win 

Game 2: Struggled with Castle for 3 quarters, and getting down an 14-0 hole. But ended up scoring back to back TDs within 3 minutes in the 4Q and clutching it in OT 

Game 3: They surprisingly had fits with VL during the first half of the game, only up around 7 and scored a late TD before the half. But MD ended up dropping 17 in the 2H to win it 31-6 

This could be nothing, but I would be wary if I was Memorial, can’t have the ides of 2016 all over again

2 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Will there be any type of livestream of the MD-Memorial game?

No radio OR stream. Rumor has it that Bishop Siegel will be parachuting down with the game ball and the Knights of Columbus Airborne Division in full formation just prior to KO.  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, tango said:

T could see this one coming down to a FG.

After being taken to the woodshed in 2018 @ 51 - 14, MD has given the Tigers 2 very close games in 2019 @ 10 -3 and 2020 @ 13 - 10, but coming up short in both games.  I expect another low scoring game this season with both Defenses controlling the LOS...which likely means someone wins 49 - 48 on a missed PAT late in the game; - 8. 

Fingers crossed, MD finds a way to win 14 - 13.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

After being taken to the woodshed in 2018 @ 51 - 14, MD has given the Tigers 2 very close games in 2019 @ 10 -3 and 2020 @ 13 - 10, but coming up short in both games.  I expect another low scoring game this season with both Defenses controlling the LOS...which likely means someone wins 49 - 48 on a missed PAT late in the game; - 8. 

Fingers crossed, MD finds a way to win 14 - 13.

That's how my predictions usually turn out too.  

That 2018 game was the "dart" game, when a few MD players had the brilliant idea to snapchat pictures of Branson Combs and Michael Lindauer with darts in their faces the week of the game.  Of course our kids printed them out and had them all over the locker room.  Branson had 5 catches for 200 yds & 3 TDs (74, 24 & 55 yds.), plus a pick 6 (all before halftime).  Probably the most dominating performance by 1 player that I've seen in my lifetime in the MD-RM series.  He reminded me of Jefferson in Fast Times at Ridgemont High that night...  LOL. 

You are 100% correct...  the last 2 games have definitely been very evenly matched and could have easily gone either way.  Thankfully we have been much better since we laid the egg in Wk. 1 against Jasper. Getting 2 D starters back against Central who hadn't played the first 2 weeks also helped us.  Should be a good game.  I haven't seen any film on MD but I know you guys are very, very solid and will be a big challenge.  Just wish the game was at Enlow...    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

That's how my predictions usually turn out too.  

That 2018 game was the "dart" game, when a few MD players had the brilliant idea to snapchat pictures of Branson Combs and Michael Lindauer with darts in their faces the week of the game.  Of course our kids printed them out and had them all over the locker room.  Branson had 5 catches for 200 yds & 3 TDs (74, 24 & 55 yds.), plus a pick 6 (all before halftime).  Probably the most dominating performance by 1 player that I've seen in my lifetime in the MD-RM series.  He reminded me of Jefferson in Fast Times at Ridgemont High that night...  LOL. 

You are 100% correct...  the last 2 games have definitely been very evenly matched and could have easily gone either way.  Thankfully we have been much better since we laid the egg in Wk. 1 against Jasper. Getting 2 D starters back against Central who hadn't played the first 2 weeks also helped us.  Should be a good game.  I haven't seen any film on MD but I know you guys are very, very solid and will be a big challenge.  Just wish the game was at Enlow...    

I hadn’t heard that story.  Why would anybody think it was a good idea to taunt Branson Combs?

I can only imagine Goebel’s reaction when he learned of that.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

5 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I hadn’t heard that story.  Why would anybody think it was a good idea to taunt Branson Combs?

I can only imagine Goebel’s reaction when he learned of that.

I heard he apologized to Coach Hurley.  LOL.  Guessing that won't ever happen again...

17 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Will there be any type of livestream of the MD-Memorial game?

I don’t think so. I would think there is room for a commercial enterprise to broadcast SW Indiana games of the week.

I would be curious streaming statistics of a Reitz, MD, or Memorial game compared to the other EVSC schools. 

If memory serves, the many of the radio/TV broadcasts try to cover each EVSC team at least once a year, even when there really is no demand. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I don’t think so. I would think there is room for a commercial enterprise to broadcast SW Indiana games of the week.

I would be curious streaming statistics of a Reitz, MD, or Memorial game compared to the other EVSC schools. 

If memory serves, the many of the radio/TV broadcasts try to cover each EVSC team at least once a year, even when there really is no demand. 

I am kind of surprised that there are not more livestreams.  Ft Wayne does almonst every SAC game and a lot of the central Indiana schools are doing their own broadcasts.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fenderbender said:

I am kind of surprised that there are not more livestreams.  Ft Wayne does almonst every SAC game and a lot of the central Indiana schools are doing their own broadcasts.   

There is never a shortage of willing sponsors for the Mater Dei & Memorial  games.  Same goes for Reitz.  The issue seems to be that whenever the local TV stations get involved, they want/need to cover all the local teams, some of whom do not seem to have the sponsors to cover costs.