Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

Here are my top 4 for a tournament run (preseason)

1. Mater Dei(SS)-Could be a state run depending who they get in Semi State 

2. Castle(SS)- I'm sure Cathedral will be waiting 

3. Memorial(Reg or SS)- Tigers got themselves a good team for this upcoming season, Mooresville or East Central will be tough 

4. Central(Reg)- Central? Can't count out the Bears even if its a down year for them when it comes to the playoffs 

------- Outside 2-----

5. Jasper 

6. Vincennes Lincoln 

My choice for the preseason deepest tournament run: Mater Dei 

12 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Here are my top 4 for a tournament run (preseason)

1. Mater Dei(SS)-Could be a state run depending who they get in Semi State 

2. Castle(SS)- I'm sure Cathedral will be waiting 

3. Memorial(Reg or SS)- Tigers got themselves a good team for this upcoming season, Mooresville or East Central will be tough 

4. Central(Reg)- Central? Can't count out the Bears even if its a down year for them when it comes to the playoffs 

------- Outside 2-----

5. Jasper 

6. Vincennes Lincoln 

My choice for the preseason deepest tournament run: Mater Dei 

So what are Memorial's strenghts going to be next year?  (Team identity)

I only saw the Jasper game.   Looking at MaxPreps stats (if they are accurate), they did not run the ball very well (92 yards per game, only 2 rushers over 100 yards, both in the Reitz game).   Pence did not put up huge yardage numbers, but appears to not make mistakes (17/2 TD/INT).   

I think they have to worry more about EC, Mooresville loses some good lineman and WRs.

3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

I only saw the Jasper game.   Looking at MaxPreps stats (if they are accurate), they did not run the ball very well (92 yards per game, only 2 rushers over 100 yards, both in the Reitz game).   Pence did not put up huge yardage numbers, but appears to not make mistakes (17/2 TD/INT).   

I think they have to worry more about EC, Mooresville loses some good lineman and WRs.

I would say Memorial's team identity will be the same as just about any year.  They will be small and undersized.  But they will make up for that by being deceptively slow.  

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Our Maxpreps stats are accurate.  Pence will graduate, so the big question is who will take his place.  Memorial is rarely going to have a RB with a lot of carries and/or yardage totals.  It just isn't our offense.  Our success depends on spreading the field and the workload.  Next season we'll return 5 WRs who had at least 20 catches and 2 RBs who had 80+ carries, plus the entire OL.  Just gotta find that QB....

14 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I would say Memorial's team identity will be the same as just about any year.  They will be small and undersized.  But they will make up for that by being deceptively slow.  

And stupid...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Possibly both sides of the ball, but losing Pence absolutely hurts 

Edited by TigerFan20

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Possibly both sides of the ball, but losing Pence absolutely hurts 

Yeah, I think that’s a huge question mark for the Tigers.  I know that Ellspermann played a game and a half and did pretty well (including piloting a close win over Castle).  But, for me, the jury’s still out on him.

With two good RBs in Russell and Tyler back, and a solid O line that is all returning, I’m guessing we’ll see the Tigers run the ball more than they have in recent years.

20 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Yeah, I think that’s a huge question mark for the Tigers.  I know that Ellspermann played a game and a half and did pretty well (including piloting a close win over Castle).  But, for me, the jury’s still out on him.

With two good RBs in Russell and Tyler back, and a solid O line that is all returning, I’m guessing we’ll see the Tigers run the ball more than they have in recent years.

We do have our freshman QBs, but they maybe risky to start 

While it’s admittedly the goal of every coach to have their 11 best on the field at any one time and to put them in a position to be successful it seems to me that a few programs consistently do this better than others.  

Memorial is a great example to hold up as a model i.e. certain players playing both ways and  taking advantage of the unique skill sets of an individual when placing into a position group..Central certainly uses a similar model understanding that 75% of a player that brings 110% having to play both ways is better than some efforts at 100% playing one side only.  Add creative play calling and a firm understanding of player development to the mix and I see why certain programs remain at the top year after year.  

Mater Dei remains a tough out on anyone’s schedule, North is willing to do whatever it takes from a play call sheet.  Reitz will be fun to watch, Jasper should always be consistent.

• Like 3

Chances the teams get a normal summer AND the crowd limits are gone for games? 

If I had to guess, summer will be close to normal. Possibly no more practice limitations, some scrimmages and 7 on 7s will be allowed, but some of the bigger events like team camps and 7 on 7 tourneys may not happen. As far as crowds? I would guess in the SIAC there will still be a crowd limit. If so, hopefully it's at least 750-1000 per school. But man, I really want to see packed stadiums again on Friday nights.

Edited by Football Fanatic
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Chances the teams get a normal summer AND the crowd limits are gone for games? 

If I had to guess, summer will be close to normal. Possibly no more practice limitations, some scrimmages and 7 on 7s will be allowed, but some of the bigger events like team camps and 7 on 7 tourneys may not happen. As far as crowds? I would guess in the SIAC there will still be a crowd limit. If so, hopefully it's at least 750-1000 per school. But man, I really want to see packed stadiums again on Friday nights.

I was thinking 800 each

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Over/Under of Central players starting for other EVSC schools next year?  

No idea, but Mater Dei and Memorial should both be pretty strong next year.  And both have coaches who've been there for a long time.  

2 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Haha, I wonder what the new hot landing spot will be. My guess would be North 

I would agree that is the most stable of the 5 at this point, but that drive hasn't gotten any shorter.  I think that has been part of the reason Central has improved in recent years - kids stopped at Central instead of going all the up to North.