Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Enrollment figures

13 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Harrison (west Lafayette) may have a shot of being put into 6A. Their enrollment is right on that edge

Yes I know. This was only based off @crimsonace1 numbers he provided earlier on in the thread. It'll be very interesting to see which schools make the "cut" and which do not. Columbus North (2,090), Tech, Chesterton, Laf Jeff, Hammond Morton, Warsaw, Laf Harrison, FW Northrop, Valparaiso, Merrillville and Whiteland (2,022) are all within 100 students in his estimate he provided. Any 6 of those 11 could end up in 6A and depending which ones will obviously greatly affect the layout and groupings.

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

Sooner or later, 6A will be 75% or more of Indy Metro area schools with a few from other parts of Indeander

In the estimate from @crimsonace1 numbers, 19 of the 32 teams would be in the Indy Metro area, so 59%. To get to 75%, there would have to be 24 of the 32 teams. Looking at the highest enrollments in 5A, the only ones from the Indy Metro area would be Whiteland (2,007), Decatur Central (1,818), and Plainfield (1,744). Stretching further out you could include Anderson (1,786) and Franklin (1,582), but I do not personally consider those cities part of the Indy Metro area. Personally I feel like it will be closer to the later side of your statement as schools like Greenfield-Central, Mooresville, and Greenwood are still in 4A and 500+ student enrollment away from sniffing 6A.

5 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

In the estimate from @crimsonace1 numbers, 19 of the 32 teams would be in the Indy Metro area, so 59%. To get to 75%, there would have to be 24 of the 32 teams. Looking at the highest enrollments in 5A, the only ones from the Indy Metro area would be Whiteland (2,007), Decatur Central (1,818), and Plainfield (1,744). Stretching further out you could include Anderson (1,786) and Franklin (1,582), but I do not personally consider those cities part of the Indy Metro area. Personally I feel like it will be closer to the later side of your statement as schools like Greenfield-Central, Mooresville, and Greenwood are still in 4A and 500+ student enrollment away from sniffing 6A.

We've discussed "Indy Area" before and settled on Marion and all the doughnut counties (touching Marion) around it. That would certainly include Franklin. New Pal is fast growing so maybe in 10 years or so?  And there have been rumors of a 3rd school in the Hamilton Southeastern district. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Staxawax said:

We've discussed "Indy Area" before and settled on Marion and all the doughnut counties (touching Marion) around it. That would certainly include Franklin. New Pal is fast growing so maybe in 10 years or so?  And there have been rumors of a 3rd school in the Hamilton Southeastern district. 

7 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Yes I know. This was only based off @crimsonace1 numbers he provided earlier on in the thread. It'll be very interesting to see which schools make the "cut" and which do not. Columbus North (2,090), Tech, Chesterton, Laf Jeff, Hammond Morton, Warsaw, Laf Harrison, FW Northrop, Valparaiso, Merrillville and Whiteland (2,022) are all within 100 students in his estimate he provided. Any 6 of those 11 could end up in 6A and depending which ones will obviously greatly affect the layout and groupings.

Whiteland could get into the 6a picture very soon, Franklin is a maybe and if they do it will be a while and greenwood will never be higher then 5a.  You see Greenwood school is district is just the not that big, where as Whiteland and Franklins are

10 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Not saying that is good or bad, just thinking out loud. I was probably a bit high on the estimate, could be that 65 - 70% be the ceiling for 6A in Indy metro area maybe in 10-15 years??

22 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Whiteland could get into the 6a picture very soon, Franklin is a maybe and if they do it will be a while and greenwood will never be higher then 5a.  You see Greenwood school is district is just the not that big, where as Whiteland and Franklins are

Greenwood’s enrollment is actually declining. 

Going form CA1's numbers...the only Indy donut schools in 5A are Whiteland, Decatur Cent, Plainfield, Franklin, New Pal & Cathedral.

Whiteland & DC could be 6A in the relatively near future, depending on enrollment drops in the bottom of 6A.  Cathedral will be 6A as soon as SF determines they bump...maybe sooner, maybe later.  I don't see any of the others making that jump any time too soon.

Just a random thought while looking at those numbers....it might be possible for Carmel to be 6000 students before a school like  Franklin was even to 2000 students.  I live in Hamilton Co, but have not heard ANY discussion of Carmel splitting....how long can that be the case?  There is still a little room for growth in the west part of their district.  I don't think 6000 students is impossible.

Edited by US31

2 hours ago, US31 said:

Going form CA1's numbers...the only Indy donut schools in 5A are Whiteland, Decatur Cent, Plainfield, Franklin, New Pal & Cathedral.

Whiteland & DC could be 6A in the relatively near future, depending on enrollment drops in the bottom of 6A.  Cathedral will be 6A as soon as SF determines they bump...maybe sooner, maybe later.  I don't see any of the others making that jump any time too soon.

Just a random thought while looking at those numbers....it might be possible for Carmel to be 6000 students before a school like  Franklin was even to 2000 students.  I live in Hamilton Co, but have not heard ANY discussion of Carmel splitting....how long can that be the case?  There is still a little room for growth in the west part of their district.  I don't think 6000 students is impossible.

Just mind-boggling to me.  I can't imagine going to a HS of 4,000 - let alone 6,000 students.  I thought for sure it would have split by now, similar to Fishers/Hamilton SE. 

It looks like they are redistricting in 2021-22 for the Elem/MS levels:

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1608046144/ccsk12inus/edfdfop6pf1fxel1iaru/2021-22_ApprovedBoundaries.pdf

Three 1,400 capacity MS feed one HS.  

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Just mind-boggling to me.  I can't imagine going to a HS of 4,000 - let alone 6,000 students.  I thought for sure it would have split by now, similar to Fishers/Hamilton SE. 

It looks like they are redistricting in 2021-22 for the Elem/MS levels:

https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1608046144/ccsk12inus/edfdfop6pf1fxel1iaru/2021-22_ApprovedBoundaries.pdf

Three 1,400 capacity MS feed one HS.  

Crazy to think about. It might be the largest high school in the country. I think it is way too big. Eventually they would have to split it up. At least you'd think right?

What would the new high school be named? Clay High School? Both schools would be close to 3,000 students as of now and obviously eventually both would surpass that. 

Any new word on HSE/Fishers making a 3rd high school soon? There have been rumblings of this for over a year now.

11 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Crazy to think about. It might be the largest high school in the country.

Quick google search shows multiple public high schools in NY (more than one in Brooklyn) with ~7000 students (one is over 8000).  No idea what the format of these schools are (9-12? multiple campuses?)....just what the interwebs told me🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Crazy to think about. It might be the largest high school in the country. I think it is way too big. Eventually they would have to split it up. At least you'd think right?

What would the new high school be named? Clay High School? Both schools would be close to 3,000 students as of now and obviously eventually both would surpass that. 

Any new word on HSE/Fishers making a 3rd high school soon? There have been rumblings of this for over a year now.

Got a ways to go.  Here's 2020-2022 numbers out of Texas for classifications at the top of 6A.  Plano is 10-12 and Plano East and Plano West are 11-12, but Texas has different ways of calculating enrollment based on the ability to determine 9th and/or 10th grade classes.  They also count half students too ... anyone with four or less hours of daily instruction is classified as a half student for enrollment purposes.  Carmel might well go the same way where they just open a 9-10 campus and an 11-12 campus, but I suspect that IHSAA would adopt a similar way of classifying "partial school" like Texas does.

image.thumb.png.2def5bea1d98f2ff4213a11fc39a2aa7.png

Also while Carmel is still growing at the high school it has begun to shrink at the elementary levels.   The community is built up, very few places for a new home to be built.  As this group of parents graduate their kids the high school will begin to shrink too, you wont get enough in the move in/move out exchange to keep up with the size.  You already see Carmel closing elementary schools.  

Carmel isn't going to drop to 2000 kids or anything, but it's very likely they fall well into the 4,000's in the next decade.  

A question I have is how long until Westfield, and Noblesville start to close in on Carmel in size.  Both of those schools are 1 horse towns, and building homes like there's no tomorrow...Westfield especially.  

Edited by CoachGallogly
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CoachGallogly said:

Also while Carmel is still growing at the high school it has begun to shrink at the elementary levels.   The community is built up, very few places for a new home to be built.  As this group of parents graduate their kids the high school will begin to shrink too, you wont get enough in the move in/move out exchange to keep up with the size.  You already see Carmel closing elementary schools.  

Carmel isn't going to drop to 2000 kids or anything, but it's very likely they fall well into the 4,000's in the next decade.  

A question I have is how long until Westfield, and Noblesville start to close in on Carmel in size.  Both of those schools are 1 horse towns, and building homes like there's no tomorrow...Westfield especially.  

I see Westfield as the school that could surpass Noblesville in numbers down the road.  The bubble classes in Noblesville are the middle school grades (6-8).  The numbers drop off in the elementary schools.  Washington Township (Westfield) has more area than Noblesville Township and Noblesville has two areas that take up a lot of land that can't be developed (Morse Resevoir and White River-at least not in the water).  There are also a LOT of new houses going up in the Westfield area.

The reason HSE is large is due to the district comprising 3 townships.  There are a large number of Noblesville addresses that attend HSE Schools due to Wayne Township being in the HSE district.

Carmel has seen small percentage drops in student enrollment as well.

1 hour ago, Ballhawk said:

There are a large number of Noblesville addresses that attend HSE Schools due to Wayne Township being in the HSE district.

Mailing addresses very rarely correspond with school district boundaries. My mom has a Shelbyville address, but her house is in Triton Central's district. 

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Mailing addresses very rarely correspond with school district boundaries. My mom has a Shelbyville address, but her house is in Triton Central's district. 

I'm well aware of that.  The reason I said it is even though people see new housing development in Noblesville and think it is going to grow larger, the kids are actually going to HSE.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, US31 said:

Whiteland will be 6A sooner rather than later. Two relatively-new exits off I-65 have been built in the Clark Township half of their school district and it's growing fast. 

Plainfield is also in a fast-growing area although it will need some time to get to 6A. I'd expect to see it get there in 6-10 years. Wouldn't be shocked to see Franklin eventually join them but it will take more time. Greenfield-Central has been 5A but likely won't get to 6A as their enrollment has been leveling off and declining for some time. Another to look for is Mt. Vernon, which is one of the fastest-growing areas in the state. They will be 5A either this cycle or next, and likely won't be long before they jump to 6A.

Cathedral and New Pal are actually 4A schools by enrollment. While New Palestine is growing fast, it will probably be a decade or so before it hits 6A enrollment. 

3 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Whiteland will be 6A sooner rather than later. Two relatively-new exits off I-65 have been built in the Clark Township half of their school district and it's growing fast. 

Plainfield is also in a fast-growing area although it will need some time to get to 6A. I'd expect to see it get there in 6-10 years. Wouldn't be shocked to see Franklin eventually join them but it will take more time. Greenfield-Central has been 5A but likely won't get to 6A as their enrollment has been leveling off and declining for some time. Another to look for is Mt. Vernon, which is one of the fastest-growing areas in the state. They will be 5A either this cycle or next, and likely won't be long before they jump to 6A.

Cathedral and New Pal are actually 4A schools by enrollment. While New Palestine is growing fast, it will probably be a decade or so before it hits 6A enrollment. 

My reference to Cathedral was based upon Success Factor....

On 2/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, US31 said:

My reference to Cathedral was based upon Success Factor....

As long as the status quo remains, Cathedral will likely be bouncing between 5A and 6A depending on which part of the success factor cycle it's in. 

On 2/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, Ballhawk said:

I'm well aware of that.  The reason I said it is even though people see new housing development in Noblesville and think it is going to grow larger, the kids are actually going to HSE.

All of that undeveloped and rapidly-developing land near Hamilton Town Center feels like Noblesville, but is in the HSE district. HSE has shown a willingness to cap its high schools at a certain enrollment and build new when they grow large.

It's likely Carmel won't ever split the high school no matter how big it gets. Gotta keep the swimming title streak alive. 

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, crimsonace1 said:

Here’s some data related to those schools.  This is from every other year using the numbers for classifications (and the DOE numbers from this past September for 2020).

New Palestine

2012 - 1107

2014 - 1094

2016 - 1117

2018 - 1175

2020 - 1160

Mount Vernon

2012 - 1119

2014 - 1170

2016 - 1227

2018 - 1322

2020 - 1372

Whiteland

2012 - 1725

2014 - 1763

2016 - 1845

2018 - 1916

2020 - 2007

Franklin Community

2012 - 1713

2014 - 1630

2016 - 1533

2018 - 1590

2020 - 1582

Plainfield

2012 - 1489

2014 - 1560

2016 - 1636

2018 - 1696

2020 - 1744

Greenfield Central has remained very steady over that same 8 year period with an enrollment staying right around 1450.  It was 1446 in 2012 and 1445 in 2020.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, DanteEstonia said:

Kids can pretty much live anywhere and go to any area school nowadays, so address is not really important anymore