Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Enrollment figures

Just now, HanShotFirst said:

Assuming Merrillville in 5A with enrollment, one figures Sectional 9 looks like:

Merrilville, Munster, Morton, Hammond Central

Gavit and Morton into 5A as the NEW Morton High.

Clark and Hammond High into 5A as the NEW Hammond Central.

Sectional 10 would then be:

LaPorte, Michigan City, Valparaiso, Mishwaka???

Lots and lots of teams staying east this season.

Losing three teams from 4A Sectional 17, Morton, Gavit, and Griffith (3A enrollment), there will be some new faces heading west into Da Region.  Kankakee Valley perhaps?  New Prairie, SB St. Joseph, Logansport, Culver Academies?

3 hours ago, HanShotFirst said:

Losing three teams from 4A Sectional 17, Morton, Gavit, and Griffith (3A enrollment), there will be some new faces heading west into Da Region.  Kankakee Valley perhaps?  New Prairie, SB St. Joseph, Logansport, Culver Academies?

The Kougars with a K would be a good fit with fellow members NCC Highland, Hobart, and Lowell bring there already.  I just wonder if East Chicago Central and/or Gary West fans would travel all the way to northern Jasper County.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Goose Liver said:

Interesting.... personal observation ?

Well, generally speaking, poorly performing programs don’t travel well when the game is across town, let alone when it’s in another county. The expanding availability of outlets by which you can watch the game at home hurts these teams disproportionately, IMO.

And yes, I have seen the teams you identified on the road many times over the years. They don’t travel well. But honestly, a well-filled visitors’ stands is becoming a real rarity these days. There are very few programs that command significant fan following on the road. And the farther away the game, the less likely the visitors are to make the trip. That is a generalization that applies everywhere, not just to the identified programs.

• Thanks 1

Well said Bob, this is a trend that started many years ago. With the advent of broadcast and other distractions the crowds of yesteryear are rare in most venues. I can remember back in the 90's the old Brickie Bowl would be SRO four deep at the fence by 6 p.m. Griffith was the same way back in the day, people would come to see the show that kind of suffered the same fate as other programs. Success brings a following and even back in the 90's many less that successful programs did not bring a crowd. Nice commentary from your viewpoint.

4 hours ago, BearsGold55 said:

I just saw where the state said that schools would retain the enrollment records from two years and won't realign anything for one year.  

So Morton, though consolidating with Gavit, will remain in 4A?  It'll just be a superpower for the year, before making its way to 5A in 2022?  And Hammond High, though consolidating with Clark, will remain in 3A as the new Hammond Central?  Have a hard time believing that.  Too, this would leave both sectionals as seven-team brackets, correct?

Guessing LCC will replace WeBo in 2A.  WeBo will replace Chatard in 3A.  And Chatard will move into 7 team, Roncalli 4A sectional.  Hammond schools will stay where they are.  Columbus East and FW Snider will return to 5A and make 5 team sectionals.  Pretty easy transition for IHSAA.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:09 PM, Indiana Fan said:

Hoping it doesn’t take the IHSAA much longer to release classifications and sectional assignments. I can’t imagine there would be much more to discuss now.

If there is no re-classification from last year wouldn't all be the same as last year?

5 hours ago, superjay said:

Guessing LCC will replace WeBo in 2A.  WeBo will replace Chatard in 3A.  And Chatard will move into 7 team, Roncalli 4A sectional.  Hammond schools will stay where they are.  Columbus East and FW Snider will return to 5A and make 5 team sectionals.  Pretty easy transition for IHSAA.

If Columbus East and FW Snider are falling back to 5A then who will be replacing them in 6A?

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

got to adjust for new schools and success factor 

Oh, OK, I was reading the one year thing as all encompassing, would not do any enrollment figure size & success factor adjustments for upcoming year. 

So will the success factor teams (LCC/Webo/Chatard) have to play up for 3 years?  I understand this is a 1 year thing because of enrollment numbers, but what happens after this year because no one is going to get 6 points this year to move up (max would be 5 points for State) or is it if they get 2 points (Regional) then they would stay up and if they don't win a Regional they would fall back to where their enrollment is?

14 hours ago, Julio said:

There is now way that Hammond Central will be 3A and Hammond Morton staying in 4A, unless the IHSAA has no common sense.

When Hammond Central and Morton move to 5A that will drop both the 4A and 3A region sectionals to 6 teams. Then 5A north will have 19 teams and 5A south will have 17 teams. They will have to revamp the entire alignment. 

10 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

If Columbus East and FW Snider are falling back to 5A then who will be replacing them in 6A?

I suspect the next two biggest teams in 5A will move up to 6A

10 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I didn’t think that far! Lol!  Either Zionsville and Valpo will move up and 6A will be reshuffled a bit or they will just leave those spots open in 6A.  East and Snider can be added anywhere to make 5 team sectionals in 5A.

36 minutes ago, superjay said:

I didn’t think that far! Lol!  Either Zionsville and Valpo will move up and 6A will be reshuffled a bit or they will just leave those spots open in 6A.  East and Snider can be added anywhere to make 5 team sectionals in 5A.

My whole confusion right now is trying to determine whether my Columbus East Olympians are staying in 6A or moving back to 5A. When the IHSAA said points earned through the tournament success factor from the last two years will still be applied, does that also mean the teams that were moved up due to tournament success but failed to garner enough points to remain playing up will move back down? 

If anyone with full knowledge of the IHSAA’s ruling could clear that up for me, I’d greatly appreciate it.

5 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

So will the success factor teams (LCC/Webo/Chatard) have to play up for 3 years?  I understand this is a 1 year thing because of enrollment numbers, but what happens after this year because no one is going to get 6 points this year to move up (max would be 5 points for State) or is it if they get 2 points (Regional) then they would stay up and if they don't win a Regional they would fall back to where their enrollment is?

Good question as Success Factor timeline has usually been locked to the enrollment number reclassification too ... killing two birds at the same time so to speak.  In this case here, I suspect that the two options that we'll see are 1) three-year Success Factor if enrollment classification comes out next year or 2) the IHSAA will announce this time next year that they are holding off on enrollment reclassification for one more year and that will then put everything back in order based on the past patterning.  The one other option that I don't see IHSAA doing would be enrollment reclassification next year and doing the success Factor reclassification the following year as that would make some type of reclassification an annual occurrence: in odd years it would be Success Factor related and in even years it would be enrollment related.

• Like 1