Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Multiplier: An old topic seems to have new life

https://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_89f895d1-63dc-57a2-8934-5bd5b203bef4.html

There was a lot of talk about a multiplier about 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, only one proposal gained any sort of traction, and I cannot remember if it ever reached the IHSAA for a vote. This one goes before the IHSAA Executive Board on April 25th.

2 hours ago, RipZGo said:

What’s wrong with the one we already have?

I like it but I personally think it would be better if the success factor took four years into account instead of just two. I think we have seen small public schools get penalized for having a rare crop of great talent, having a great run, then getting bumped. This has been across the board in other sports. I think 4 years gives a better idea of the consistency of a program and its need to be bumped up or not. 

Edited by boilerfan87
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

I like it but I personally think it would be better if the success factor took four years into account instead of just two. I think we have seen small public schools get penalized for having a rare crop of great talent, having a great run, then getting bumped. This has been across the board in other sports. I think 4 years gives a better idea of the consistency of a program and its need to be bumped up or not. 

I agree about the 4 years but I was joking. Seriously if we’re going to have a multiplier, I like the current one. 

Oh the memories of debating/arguing over the multiplier on the older iterations of the GID.   Those were the days.

That said expect legal action, probably by the parochial/Catholic schools, if this should ever pass and be implemented by the IHSAA.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disdain 1

2 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

Hey you guys could be in Michigan where we have nothing to level the playing field.   No Success Factor, no Multiplier, nothing.  As a result you get schools like Grand Rapids West Catholic winning 5 state titles in a row.  😒

There's Catholics in Grand Rapids?  I jest.  I jest.
Thought they were all Christian Reformed.

What about City public schools who recruit will they be subject to multipliers or is it just Catholic and private schools? If so Parents who send their kids to p/p's should have their tax money funneled to the schools their kids go to.

25 minutes ago, jakone said:

What about City public schools who recruit will they be subject to multipliers or is it just Catholic and private schools? If so Parents who send their kids to p/p's should have their tax money funneled to the schools their kids go to.

Already happens through vouchers.  UNLESS, you make too much then you can't use YOUR tax dollars to send YOUR child to the school of YOUR choice.  

Isn't school choice wonderful?

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

There's Catholics in Grand Rapids?  I jest.  I jest.
Thought they were all Christian Reformed.

In all seriousness.  I miss the Indiana Catholics.  Tough parents, tough kids, that just happen to like a good time.   In the greater "God Rapids"  area, I really think that Religion and the fear surrounding it makes kids afraid to throw all in and be passionate about something.  We have trouble ever getting our full secondary or set of skill guys at a 7 on 7 because our kids go on multiple mission trips (or lets be honest mission tourism trips) during the summer.  If they don't go, their going to hell, or at least that is what they are led to believe.   We just have a bunch of nice kids that are scared of ever getting too excited about something for fear of getting their wrists slapped.   I teach at a medium sized public school but we are basically a christian school without the bible class.  

I can't really describe it, but somehow the "vibe" between the two states seems to be very different to me.   Pretty sure if Lowell or West Lafayette tried to be the "Devils" up here parents would move their kids out of district in mass numbers. 

A fellow Assistant coach on our staff put it best "If one of our kids somehow wandered into a hot piece of a$$, they would have to have their mom blow on it first"  😂

I'm not saying you need "bad" kids to be good, but I sure would take some right about now! 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Already happens through vouchers.  UNLESS, you make too much then you can't use YOUR tax dollars to send YOUR child to the school of YOUR choice.  

Isn't school choice wonderful?

the latest report from the DOE shows that over 1300 households with an income of over $100,000 per year are receiving vouchers.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Good. Program working as designed.

Yep, let the rich get richer..GREAT program. Let those that have the means to pay for it keep more of their money while the rest of the taxpayers support their "choice".

Just now, Irishman said:

Yep, let the rich get richer..GREAT program

Richer?  As Dann indicated, isn't this parents using THEIR tax dollars to send THEIR child to the school of THEIR choice?  It's no different than with open enrollment a parent decides to transfer their child from New Haven to Homestead.  It's THEIR tax dollars going the school of THEIR choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Irishman said:

the latest report from the DOE shows that over 1300 households with an income of over $100,000 per year are receiving vouchers.

I don't qualify and we don't make much more than that.  Isn't school chioce wonderful?

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Richer?  As Dann indicated, isn't this parents using THEIR tax dollars to send THEIR child to the school of THEIR choice?  It's no different than with open enrollment a parent decides to transfer their child from New Haven to Homestead.  It's THEIR tax dollars going the school of THEIR choice.

Go ahead and hijack another topic...all I did was clarify a point Dann made.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

This,  I 100% agree with IF it was applied to all people that want to use the voucher.

Sorry.  I hijacked the thread.  My apologies.  Didn't mean to.  I am will remove myself.

1 hour ago, Wedgebuster said:

In all seriousness.  I miss the Indiana Catholics.  Tough parents, tough kids, that just happen to like a good time.   In the greater "God Rapids"  area, I really think that Religion and the fear surrounding it makes kids afraid to throw all in and be passionate about something.  We have trouble ever getting our full secondary or set of skill guys at a 7 on 7 because our kids go on multiple mission trips (or lets be honest mission tourism trips) during the summer.  If they don't go, their going to hell, or at least that is what they are led to believe.   We just have a bunch of nice kids that are scared of ever getting too excited about something for fear of getting their wrists slapped.   I teach at a medium sized public school but we are basically a christian school without the bible class.  

I can't really describe it, but somehow the "vibe" between the two states seems to be very different to me.   Pretty sure if Lowell or West Lafayette tried to be the "Devils" up here parents would move their kids out of district in mass numbers. 

A fellow Assistant coach on our staff put it best "If one of our kids somehow wandered into a hot piece of a$$, they would have to have their mom blow on it first"  😂

I'm not saying you need "bad" kids to be good, but I sure would take some right about now! 

Trade you spots!  🙂 

48 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Who's going to drive that far?  

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Just an example.  And besides, whose business is it anyways?

I do agree that you are free to drive your own children to where you'd like.  I asked my kids if they wanted to go to Luers and they didn't.  Even as a public school teacher, I would have inquired about the voucher. 

Edited by Robert

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Oh the memories of debating/arguing over the multiplier on the older iterations of the GID.   Those were the days.

That said expect legal action, probably by the parochial/Catholic schools, if this should ever pass and be implemented by the IHSAA.

Well, lawyers have mortgage payments, too. 😅😂🤣

• Haha 2