Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

CG/CA/RO/CHA - 4 Headed Monster Establishes Complete Dominance

Guest DT

48 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

If you split it again, then LN would be #16. How could it be fair for Lawrence North (2596) to go up against Carmel (5286). Let's split again...

How can Pike (3208) compete with Carmel (5286)...Let's split again.

Exactly.  When they were contemplating 5A years ago our local (Johnson County) paper ran an article proclaiming that Whiteland (1,800+ students) shouldn't have to compete with Carmel's 5,000+ students.  At the time Center Grove had 2,200 students but not a word was mentioned.  As I have said for years the real goal of those promoting a split is to get the big schools away from their team.  Period.

Edited by Grover

11 minutes ago, Grover said:

Exactly.  When they were contemplating 5A years ago our local (Johnson County) paper ran an article proclaiming that Whiteland (1,800+ students) shouldn't have to compete with Carmel's 5,000+ students.  At the time Center Grove had 2,200 students but not a word was mentioned.  As I have said for years the real goal of those promoting a split is to get the big schools away from their team.  Period.

Whiteland, Zionsville and Westfield ARE the next Center Grove.  They’ll be firmly in the 6A picture annually by the middle of this decade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BDGiant93 said:

The more the merrier.

Couldn't agree more.  Need some fresh blood, especially in 6A.  I think Westfield is actually only 2-3 years away from contending for 6A titles, Zionsville will take a bit longer and Whiteland should be there by the end of the decade if current growth trends continue.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Couldn't agree more.  Need some fresh blood, especially in 6A.  I think Westfield is actually only 2-3 years away from contending for 6A titles, Zionsville will take a bit longer and Whiteland should be there by the end of the decade if current growth trends continue.

6A needs that growth especially in the northern half if Carmel or some other MIC power isn't somehow shuffled up there again.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, tango said:

Jasper in Dubois County?  A dynasty?  They have 2 sectional titles in 12 years.  

He includes Jasper in all his posts relating to success in SWI...I never quite get it.  This years Jasper team was the best in a decade.

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

6A needs that growth especially in the northern half if Carmel or some other MIC power isn't somehow shuffled up there again.

I see Carroll and Homestead on the same path as Zionsville and Whiteland.  They’ll get there but not anytime soon.

Elkhart is the intriguing one to me.  

3 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

here is the crazy and maybe scarier thing WRT witch is where Center Grove is at is growing  as well.

CG isn’t going anywhere as long as Moore is there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

He includes Jasper in all his posts relating to success in SWI...I never quite get it.  This years Jasper team was the best in a decade.

Are they not in the same conference with 8 Evansville schools?

1 hour ago, southend said:

Polarizing, hmmm. Ok ,I can see this. 

I mean, four different classes represented in one conference really opens up the option that multiple teams can make deep runs, so its intriguing.  Many of the other conferences self-destruct one another in the tournament.  It is neat to see what these schools can do when they break away from their closed off/fixed schedule.

So yes, polarizing.

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

I mean, four different classes represented in one conference really opens up the option that multiple teams can make deep runs, so its intriguing.  Many of the other conferences self-destruct one another in the tournament.  It is neat to see what these schools can do when they break away from their closed off/fixed schedule.

So yes, polarizing.

Hoosier Conference also has four classes represented: 1A - 4A although it's had its fair share of HC-on-HC elimination in 3A in particular throughout the post-season and a couple of times in 2A in semi-state ... most notably RCHS eliminating LCC in semi-state in 2014 and Tipton taking out RCHS in 2013 in semi-state.  From 2005-2019, the HC placed at least one representative at LOS/RCA in 12 of 15 seasons across 1A, 2A, or 3A and, in 2015 placed two teams with one in 1A and one in 3A.  Across those 15 seasons, they amassed 10 blue rings.

3 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Probably not after he leaves either. He's set them up for greatness. He's made CG a destination job.

But sometimes coaches and programs overthink things.  Countless examples at all three levels of the sport where a coach/staff has walked out on its own terms at a high level and then the next guy in waiting fails.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

But sometimes coaches and programs overthink things.  Countless examples at all three levels of the sport where a coach/staff has walked out on its own terms at a high level and then the next guy in waiting fails.

True. Also, don't ever discount the value of assistant coaches. BD has had the same strength and conditioning coach since 1984, Kevin Vanderbush. He came in with Dick Dullaghan, and BD has had just two sub .500 seasons since. From 1937-1983, the Giants had (I think) just 13 .500 or above years.

1 minute ago, BDGiant93 said:

True. Also, don't ever discount the value of assistant coaches. BD has had the same strength and conditioning coach since 1984, Kevin Vanderbush. He came in with Dick Dullaghan, and BD has had just two sub .500 seasons since. From 1937-1983, the Giants had (I think) just 13 .500 or above years.

Good call.  I feel there is a quote out there about not wanting to be "the guy following THE guy."

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

Good call.  I feel there is a quote out there about not wanting to be "the guy following THE guy."

Is that like being the "rebound coach?"

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

Everybody at Ben Davis is always following "The Guy" since 2003. Dick Dullaghan set the standard of Ben Davis as a State Championship winning program (though Bob Wilbur got them close in the late 70's). Everyone who follows him will always be the guy following THE guy. Same for Penn or any program that has been lucky enough to have a Dullaghan or a Geesman or a Moore or an all-time great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Everybody at Ben Davis is always following "The Guy" since 2003. Dick Dullaghan set the standard of Ben Davis as a State Championship winning program (though Bob Wilbur got them close in the late 70's). Everyone who follows him will always be the guy following THE guy. Same for Penn or any program that has been lucky enough to have a Dullaghan or a Geesman or a Moore or an all-time great.

You don't want to be "the guy who follows the guy" rather the guy who follows THAT guy.  Tom Allen has done some amazing things at IU and has proven he can coach.  I do not remember the circumstances surrounding his departure from BD, but he was the guy following Dullaghan and lasted three years, never advancing past the regional.

You'd know better than I obviously, but I think Allen left BD for a better gig at the college level as opposed to being "forced out."

Were the BD faithful getting restless or was it just a mutual departure?

3 hours ago, temptation said:

I do not remember the circumstances surrounding his departure from BD, but he was the guy following Dullaghan and lasted three years, never advancing past the regional.

Tom would still be at Ben Davis if he stayed. His 2004 team should probably have beaten Warren in the Regional. The '05 team struggled and was young. The '06 team lost to WC.

17 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Tom would still be at Ben Davis if he stayed. His 2004 team should probably have beaten Warren in the Regional. The '05 team struggled and was young. The '06 team lost to WC.

He wanted to be a college coach