Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Private vs. Parochial - Big Difference

25 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I don't think recruiting is an issue and we know kids move around to publics in the current environment so I'm not sure why this keeps coming up.  It's not the issue.  There are publics all over the state who have CYO like youth leagues, feeder systems etc. but all things being equal they are still disadvantaged in comparison to their enrollment equal on the private side of the fence....why?  It's been said here already, it's not what privates have....it's what they don't have.  They don't have a subset of the student population that doesn't do anything related to extracurriculars at all.  They don't have to deal with that type of Human.  In addition, EVERY public has this situation regardless of the socioeconomic status of the neighborhood the building happens to be in.  All of them.

You’re correct that the student populations are different, and that favors private schools. It gives them an edge. What is Gibson Southern’s edge? What are the Titans doing to develop an edge of their own when they private schools? Where can you find an advantage of your own?

6 minutes ago, Woody_Hayes said:

You’re correct that the student populations are different, and that favors private schools. It gives them an edge. What is Gibson Southern’s edge? What are the Titans doing to develop an edge of their own when they private schools? Where can you find an advantage of your own?

I thought government school "advantage/edge" was artificial turf fields,  fancy weight rooms, and spacious locker rooms.  But I guess those don't really work all that well.....................

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I thought government school "advantage/edge" was artificial turf fields,  fancy weight rooms, and spacious locker rooms.  But I guess those don't really work all that well.....................

It can help, but if I was making a list, it would be down the line a little. 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

I don't think recruiting is an issue and we know kids move around to publics in the current environment so I'm not sure why this keeps coming up.  It's not the issue.  There are publics all over the state who have CYO like youth leagues, feeder systems etc. but all things being equal they are still disadvantaged in comparison to their enrollment equal on the private side of the fence....why?  It's been said here already, it's not what privates have....it's what they don't have.  They don't have a subset of the student population that doesn't do anything related to extracurriculars at all.  They don't have to deal with that type of Human.  In addition, EVERY public has this situation regardless of the socioeconomic status of the neighborhood the building happens to be in.  All of them.

Very well said.  Every kid at Cathedral is a recruit, otherwise they would have no student body....even the kid that just wants to take AP classes and play the violin has been recruited at least by reputation, advertisement, or other (I personally know someone who sent their kid there for this specific reason...I have no personal knowledge of why Cathedral is a great place to play violin, but I'm told it is 😀).

The imbalance comes from the kids PPs don't have to count.  Being able to quantify the amount of kids that might participate in "something/anything" seems to be a logical and way to count enrollment for extracurricular (i.e. football) classification.

Edited by US31

12 minutes ago, US31 said:

Very well said.  Every kid at Cathedral is a recruit, otherwise they would have no student body....even the kid that just wants to take AP classes and play the violin has been recruited at least by reputation, advertisement, or other (I personally know someone who sent their kid there for this specific reason...I have no personal knowledge of why Cathedral is a great place to play violin, but I'm told it is 😀).

The imbalance comes from the kids PPs don't have to count.  Being able to quantify the amount of kids that might participate in "something/anything" seems to be a logical and way to count enrollment for extracurricular (i.e. football) classification.

Poindexter Nerds GIF - Poindexter Nerds Violin - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 4

On 12/1/2020 at 6:28 AM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

This is completely false and laughable. I can only speak to Cathedral on this slight, but there isn’t a single kid that goes to Cathedral “for free” unless they are the child of a teacher with tenure.  

Just because you don’t like that I’m calling it out doesn’t mean it’s “completely false and laughable.”

I mean, it even says so on the school website... “ Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full need-based tuition assistance scholarship for a student for the duration of their time at Cathedral (generally four years).”

The above is copied directly from https://www.gocathedral.com/giving/cathedral-fund/supportshamrockscholars

In addition, your claim that poor old Cathedral only pulls from north deanery schools is also bogus. Your Mr. Football candidate quarterback went to St. Roch (south deanery), your D1 sophomore TE went to St. Michael (west deanery), not to mention the multiple public school kids on roster.

Cathedral also invites every student from the archdiocese, not just north deanery, to attend their open house. Cathedral is a sponsor of the south deanery parish I belong to- Nativity- and consistently attracts students from there.

I can also add that I’ve sat down with a Holy Name family frustrated that Roncalli could not match the financial aid package Cathedral was offering them. The kid went to Cathedral for free. 

These are facts. If you want to call them “irresponsible” and “laughable,” then I don’t know what to tell you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DL6 said:

Just because you don’t like that I’m calling it out doesn’t mean it’s “completely false and laughable.”

I mean, it even says so on the school website... “ Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full need-based tuition assistance scholarship for a student for the duration of their time at Cathedral (generally four years).”

The above is copied directly from https://www.gocathedral.com/giving/cathedral-fund/supportshamrockscholars

In addition, your claim that poor old Cathedral only pulls from north deanery schools is also bogus. Your Mr. Football candidate quarterback went to St. Roch (south deanery), your D1 sophomore TE went to St. Michael (west deanery), not to mention the multiple public school kids on roster.

Cathedral also invites every student from the archdiocese, not just north deanery, to attend their open house. Cathedral is a sponsor of the south deanery parish I belong to- Nativity- and consistently attracts students from there.

I can also add that I’ve sat down with a Holy Name family frustrated that Roncalli could not match the financial aid package Cathedral was offering them. The kid went to Cathedral for free. 

These are facts. If you want to call them “irresponsible” and “laughable,” then I don’t know what to tell you.

Well well.  DL6 when you were a Freshman at Roncalli I was in some pretty heated battles with the Cathedral faithful here regarding the "full need based tuition".   I even posted messages on the Digest that if certain parents would show me canceled checks for "a half or even a quarter tuition payments" that I would hold a sign out front of the entrance to Cathedral that said, "Joe Banich is a liar".   I believe a post of mine may have even gotten me banned from the Digest for a time.  As stated before, Rebel Dad was much more Confrontational than Grandpa B. 

Now your posts  just makes me want to know if some athletes (or flute players in the band) go to Cathedral tuition free.  I looked at the website and it clearly states just that.   My take is a little different if that is true.   15 years ago when Roncalli was losing to Cathedral in the first round of the Playoffs, I was in the "hate/envy" category.  If this is true, 15 years later, I would put myself in just the "envy " category.  Good for them if they can do just that.  Would be nice if they do have athletes going there for free to actually say so.  Heck, might even get you better athletes or flute players if it is more well known (if true).  

Now I will sit back and watch the fireworks start.   When I saw the response that someone said your comment was "completely false and laughable", I was just waiting for your response.   

P.S. No one from Cathedral ever took me up on my offer 15 years ago.  

8 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

If this is true, 15 years later, I would put myself in just the "envy " category.  Good for them if they can do just that.  Would be nice if they do have athletes going there for free to actually say so.  Heck, might even get you better athletes or flute players if it is more well known (if true).  

Now I will sit back and watch the fireworks start.

My intent was not to confront or cause any fireworks, but rather to inform. Private and Parochial schools are simply not the same and I thought I could help people understand what the differences are.

As I could have guessed, there are clearly folks out there that don’t want these differences to be communicated to the public!

53 minutes ago, DL6 said:

7 minutes ago, DL6 said:

My intent was not to confront or cause any fireworks, but rather to inform. Private and Parochial schools are simply not the same and I thought I could help people understand what the differences are.

As I could have guessed, there are clearly folks out there that don’t want these differences to be communicated to the public!

I absolutely believe that was your intent.  I would just after 15+ years like to know the truth.   and as I said, if they are able to provide free tuition, good for them.  Gives them an advantage that I wish Roncalli was able to provide.   and not just to athletes, as I would like to think that Cathedral (if they do provide free tuition), provide it to non-athletes as well.   I hope someday that Roncalli will be in that position.  

Edited by Grandpa B
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DL6 said:

Couple things:

1. Yes, we’ll take any and all kids from the Indy or Lafayette archdioceses, especially kids from St. Jude. And, guess what, so will Roncalli. Chatard has more St.Michael kids on their roster than Cathedral does. Facts of Northside Catholicism. Be thankful you don’t have to deal with any other high school or archdiocese. Hope someone starts one down there, so actually have to work for the kids. The Lafayette Archdiocese locks Chatard and Cathedral out from all their grade school kids, which is half of the Northside Catholics. Roncalli, on the other hand, has no competition. That is why is has been such an embarrassment for you the last 8-10 years while your program flailed. With 8 captive feeder schools. 
2. I’m on the enrollment committee of CHS. I can guarantee that no one has a free ride there. We market accordingly for Sharmrock Scholars to attract diversity (race, religion, and academics). And, we do our best to get close in the most dire situations. But every kid pays something. It is part of our philosophy. I.E. If your parents made you pay for a part of college, you certainly worked for better grades. Same goes. Less than 33% of our population gets aid, so you can back those numbers out as much as you want. 

I will say it is good to see Roncalli back! Finally, the Rebel grads are rearing with new confidence. State-gilded with a new championship and feeling their oats on the GID. Since you have a great new coach, maybe he’ll schedule Cathedral again since you dropped us 6 years ago and have wanted nothing to do with us. Come and get it. 

10 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Couple things:

1. Yes, we’ll take any and all kids from the Indy or Lafayette archdioceses, especially kids from St. Jude. And, guess what, so will Roncalli. Chatard has more St.Michael kids on their roster than Cathedral does. Facts of Northside Catholicism. Be thankful you don’t have to deal with any other high school or archdiocese. Hope someone starts one down there, so actually have to work for the kids. The Lafayette Archdiocese locks Chatard and Cathedral out from all their grade school kids, which is half of the Northside Catholics. Roncalli, on the other hand, has no competition. That is why is has been such an embarrassment for you the last 8-10 years while your program flailed. With 8 captive feeder schools. 
2. I’m on the enrollment committee of CHS. I can guarantee that no one has a free ride there. We market accordingly for Sharmrock Scholars to attract diversity (race, religion, and academics). And, we do our best to get close in the most dire situations. But every kid pays something. It is part of our philosophy. I.E. If your parents made you pay for a part of college, you certainly worked for better grades. Same goes. Less than 33% of our population gets aid, so you can back those numbers out as much as you want. 

I will say it is good to see Roncalli back! Finally, the Rebel grads are rearing with new confidence. State-gilded with a new championship and feeling their oats on the GID. Since you have a great new coach, maybe he’ll schedule Cathedral again since you dropped us 6 years ago and have wanted nothing to do with us. Come and get it. 

Ok. Sorry to upset you. Was just quoting your website (which very clearly states that full tuition is offered through the program.)

If that is a misprint on the website, then I hope it is corrected.

And literally the best player on Cathedral’s team this year is from St. Roch, so I’m not sure where you’re going with the “Roncalli doesn’t have to compete for students” narrative.

Edited by DL6

13 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Couple things:

Now that is exactly the response I was betting on!  You did not disappoint.  What I so loved about your post:

1. "especially kids from St. Jude" - that must feel good especially someone on the enrollment committee to get a kid from Roncalli's backyard.   Do you make marks in your belt when you nab one?  

2. "Such an embarrassment for you in the last 8-10 years while the program failed"  -  Let me give you a math lesson.  2020-2016 is 5 years ago.   Guess what Roncalli won 5 years ago.  Something that Catheral last won before both won this weekend.  Give up?  A State Championship.  So spear me your "failed program comments". 

3. "I can guarantee that no one has a few ride" - well I would suggest you edit your Cathedral websit (you being on the enrollement committee and all) since it clears emplies that.  He is the direct quote for you to have edited: "Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full need-based tuition assistance scholarship for a student for the duration of their time at Cathedral (generally four years)"

4. "Since you dropped us 6 years ago and have wanted nothing to do with us" -   I am pretty sure you know (being on the enrollment committee and all), why Roncalli dropped Cathedral.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DL6 said:

Ok. Sorry to upset you. Was just quoting your website (which very clearly states that full tuition is offered through the program.)

And literally the best player on Cathedral’s team this year is from St. Roch, so I’m not sure where you’re going with the “Roncalli doesn’t have to compete for students” narrative.

Do you think Geico saves you 15% every time for your 15 minutes? Umm, no. Welcome to marketing. 

We’ll pluck a McCahill or a Montefalco or a Gillum out of south side every once in while. Usually only when they are the most talented student-athlete down there. 

1 minute ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Do you think Geico saves you 15% every time for your 15 minutes? Umm, no. Welcome to marketing. 

We’ll pluck a McCahill or a Montefalco or a Gillum out of south side every once in while. Usually only when they are the most talented student-athlete down there. 

Talking about “plucking” kids, specifically because they’re excellent athletes, seems like a bad look for someone on the enrollment committee.

My hope is those kids made their school choice based on what was best for them and their families (I believe that’s true as all are excellent kids of high character whom I have a ton of respect for), not as a result of “plucking” by the enrollment committee.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tango said:

What do you mean by this?  

They advertise at the school and sponsor events (festivals, athletic events, etc.).

Just one way Cathedral is different from parochials. For instance, Chatard is restricted from doing something like this because Nativity is a south deanery parish and Chatard is a north deanery high school.

You’ll find plenty of students at Cathedral from the south deanery. Very few (if any) at Chatard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DL6 said:

It is not a misprint just a misinterpretation of the wording. I will explain to you and @Grandpa B from when I inquired about the Shamrock Scholar Program with the director of admissions 8 and 9 years ago when looking to send my children to Cathedral. It specifically states "Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full need-based tuition assistance scholarship" not "Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full tuition assistance scholarship". It is not for a quarter, half, or full tuition of $15,756. It is for quarter, half, or full need-based portion of tuition (or financial aid). So if a family applies for financial aid for the $15,756 and it is decided to give $8,000 in Financial Aid the donor's for the Shamrock Scholar are providing a quarter, half, or the full of that $8,000 (so $2,000, $4,000, or $8,000 just an example).

Alumni and families donate in many ways to the Financial Aid funds, the amount awarded in Financial Aid is determined by an application process that comes from tax documentation. What Shamrock Scholar allows is for the donors not only to give money for Financial Aid but to be more involved than just donating money for Financial Aid and becoming a mentor for the child receiving financial aid. That is what was explained to me when I inquired while looking t send my children there. Hope that helps without the "fireworks"😆

7 hours ago, DL6 said:

They advertise at the school and sponsor events (festivals, athletic events, etc.).

Just one way Cathedral is different from parochials. For instance, Chatard is restricted from doing something like this because Nativity is a south deanery parish and Chatard is a north deanery high school.

You’ll find plenty of students at Cathedral from the south deanery. Very few (if any) at Chatard.

Yes Cathedral does sponsor events at many of the deanery schools. There is a reason for that. Cathedral actually was one of the original Archdioscese High Schools and located downtown Indianapolis opening in 1918. Long before Sacred Heart was built 1930 (renamed Kennedy in 1966), Scecina 1953, Chatard 1960, Chatrand 1962, Ritter 1964, and Roncalli formed from consolidation of Chatrand and Kennedy in 1969. Those schools were being built because of overcrowding of Cathedral High School. The Archdiocese decided to close Cathedral's doors and the school was reopened by alumni who moved it to it's current location. Cathedral has long standing roots with all of the deanery schools across Indianapolis. There are many legacy alumni names from all of the deanery schools. That is why still to this day sponsor events in North, East, South, and West deanery schools.

Nobody will ever deny that kids attend Cathedral from all 4 of those deanery's. And yes there have been families from West Deanery schools that have sent their kids to Roncalli and Chatard same as East Deanery, but that was the choice of those families (some of which are legacy kids that had parents that attended Roncalli or Chatard). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

It is not a misprint just a misinterpretation of the wording. I will explain to you and @Grandpa B from when I inquired about the Shamrock Scholar Program with the director of admissions 8 and 9 years ago when looking to send my children to Cathedral. It specifically states "Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full need-based tuition assistance scholarship" not "Shamrock Scholar grantors choose to provide a quarter, half or full tuition assistance scholarship". It is not for a quarter, half, or full tuition of $15,756. It is for quarter, half, or full need-based portion of tuition (or financial aid). So if a family applies for financial aid for the $15,756 and it is decided to give $8,000 in Financial Aid the donor's for the Shamrock Scholar are providing a quarter, half, or the full of that $8,000 (so $2,000, $4,000, or $8,000 just an example).

Alumni and families donate in many ways to the Financial Aid funds, the amount awarded in Financial Aid is determined by an application process that comes from tax documentation. What Shamrock Scholar allows is for the donors not only to give money for Financial Aid but to be more involved than just donating money for Financial Aid and becoming a mentor for the child receiving financial aid. That is what was explained to me when I inquired while looking t send my children there. Hope that helps without the "fireworks"😆

Yes Cathedral does sponsor events at many of the deanery schools. There is a reason for that. Cathedral actually was one of the original Archdioscese High Schools and located downtown Indianapolis opening in 1918. Long before Sacred Heart was built 1930 (renamed Kennedy in 1966), Scecina 1953, Chatard 1960, Chatrand 1962, Ritter 1964, and Roncalli formed from consolidation of Chatrand and Kennedy in 1969. Those schools were being built because of overcrowding of Cathedral High School. The Archdiocese decided to close Cathedral's doors and the school was reopened by alumni who moved it to it's current location. Cathedral has long standing roots with all of the deanery schools across Indianapolis. There are many legacy alumni names from all of the deanery schools. That is why still to this day sponsor events in North, East, South, and West deanery schools.

Nobody will ever deny that kids attend Cathedral from all 4 of those deanery's. And yes there have been families from West Deanery schools that have sent their kids to Roncalli and Chatard same as East Deanery, but that was the choice of those families (some of which are legacy kids that had parents that attended Roncalli or Chatard). 

Great post, and thanks for the explanation. I stand corrected. I have been told by a few people I know that they attended Cathedral “for free,” but I have no evidence of that and if what you’re saying is true, then it’s likely they weren’t completely honest with me. Thanks for the info!

32 minutes ago, DL6 said:

Great post, and thanks for the explanation. I stand corrected. I have been told by a few people I know that they attended Cathedral “for free,” but I have no evidence of that and if what you’re saying is true, then it’s likely they weren’t completely honest with me. Thanks for the info!

You are not wrong though that there are some differences between Private and Parochial. Some are advantages for one over the other and some are disadvantages. Regardless the whole P/P vs Public is pretty moot with Open Enrollment for Public schools. Especially when that fee for an out of district at a Public school is far less than the tuition at a Private or Parochial.

I have no doubt you were looking for answers to what you read. Just wanted to give my personal experience when I actually inquired to the school about options.

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Greatly appreciate the response (and one not laced with jams at Roncalli).  I still have one question.  Can a student receive both financial aid from Cathedral and vouchers from the state.?  My understanding is that COULD almost equate to going to the school for free.   As I previously stated, (prior to the jams by IndianaWrestlingGuy), that is a great benefit that Cathedral can provide (especailly to low income families) if true and one in which I hope someday Roncalli could provide.   My understanding is that Roncalli students can accept either Vouchers from the state or Financial Aid from Roncalli but not both.   Thanks for helping to clarify.  

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Given the misinterpretations, I'd be fairly active in changing the wording of what I put on the site.  I always tell my students that reality isn't reality; perception is reality ... especially in this social media world.  It's not an issue for the folks who are bought in and understand, it's a potential distraction and problem area for those who aren't onboard.  It's not a knock on Cathedral or anyone else, but whenever possible, take control of the narrative before your opponents or detractors do.  The last thing you want to have to do is spend column inches, posts, tweets, or whatever it is addressing it when you could be spending that real estate/time on promoting the other things.

How about something on the website that reads, "Shamrock Scholars grantors provide much needed and much appreciated support to the continuing education of Cathedral students receiving need-based tuition assistance scholarship. For more information about becoming a Shamrock Scholars grantor, please contact the Cathedral Development Office."?  You can always announce what that amount is ... the quarter, half, or full ... at the awards recognition banquet where you don't have to worry about, or worse have to defend, that.

1 hour ago, Grandpa B said:

Greatly appreciate the response (and one not laced with jams at Roncalli).  I still have one question.  Can a student receive both financial aid from Cathedral and vouchers from the state.?  My understanding is that COULD almost equate to going to the school for free.   As I previously stated, (prior to the jams by IndianaWrestlingGuy), that is a great benefit that Cathedral can provide (especailly to low income families) if true and one in which I hope someday Roncalli could provide.   My understanding is that Roncalli students can accept either Vouchers from the state or Financial Aid from Roncalli but not both.   Thanks for helping to clarify.  

The way it was explained to me was you could not get both SGO and Financial Aid or Vouchers and Financial Aid or SGO and Vouchers. When you apply for Voucher you are getting just Voucher, when you apply for SGO you are getting just SGO, and when you apply for Financial Aid you are getting just Financial Aid. The only thing that can be added on to any of the 3 are the 2 merit scholarships. The Presidential Scholarship ($3,000 per year / $12,00 for 4 years) and Cathedral Scholarship ($1,500 per year / $6,000 over 4 years). In order to qualify for those the Presidential Scholarship you have to score 98th to 99th percentile on the placement exam and Cathedral Scholarship 96th or 97th percentile on the placement exam. They are renewable each year only as long as the student maintains a 3.5 GPA or higher and takes Honors classes or higher (and of course maintains proper behavior). Hope this helped. 

40 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Given the misinterpretations, I'd be fairly active in changing the wording of what I put on the site.  I always tell my students that reality isn't reality; perception is reality ... especially in this social media world.  It's not an issue for the folks who are bought in and understand, it's a potential distraction and problem area for those who aren't onboard.  It's not a knock on Cathedral or anyone else, but whenever possible, take control of the narrative before your opponents or detractors do.  The last thing you want to have to do is spend column inches, posts, tweets, or whatever it is addressing it when you could be spending that real estate/time on promoting the other things.

How about something on the website that reads, "Shamrock Scholars grantors provide much needed and much appreciated support to the continuing education of Cathedral students receiving need-based tuition assistance scholarship. For more information about becoming a Shamrock Scholars grantor, please contact the Cathedral Development Office."?  You can always announce what that amount is ... the quarter, half, or full ... at the awards recognition banquet where you don't have to worry about, or worse have to defend, that.

Possibly, I didn't type it only inquired about options when I was looking to send my children there. I would guess it wasn't in the thought process when typing out things for the website.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:15 PM, Woody_Hayes said:

We have a many of the attributes mentioned repeatedly on the GID that folks say it takes to be successful in football.  We work hard to maintain them.  We also have a good program for physically and mentally challenged kids (another factor in the enrollment at many publics).

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

We have a many of the attributes mentioned repeatedly on the GID that folks say it takes to be successful in football.  We work hard to maintain them.  We also have a good program for physically and mentally challenged kids (another factor in the enrollment at many publics).

P/P may not have mentally challenged kids, but there most certainly are physically challenged kids at P/P.