Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ben Davis - Warren Central Programs are at a Crossroads Moment

Guest DT

Ben Davis is 18-18 after 3 years under Head Coach Jason Simmons.

Warren Central just completed its worst season in 30 years.

Both programs are at decade lows in individual talent rankings based on the various recruiting services.

Center Grove and Carmel continue to gain strength and are putting distance between themselves and the two former MIC titans.

Something has to give.

North Central is getting beter every year under Coach OShea.

Lawrence North made huge strides this season.

Pike pulled off a surprise or two during the regular season.

Despite its massive enrollment advantage, Ben Davis continues to perform like a mid level MIC entity.  I see them continuing to lose ground to the new front runners unless drastic program changes are implemented top to bottom.  The program has lost its identity.  Its now only known for what it used to be.  Ben Davis' problems are fixable, but if they wait much longer, they may have fallen too far behind.

Warren used to be a magnet for Indy kids who wanted to play for the biggest, baddest, coolest school in town.  That is no longer the case.  Without great individual talent, Warren is becoming just another MIC program with a large enrollment.  The self assured cockiness that was the signature of the WC program is gone.  

This offseason will give an indication as to how serious BD and WC are about reclaiming their status not only statewide, but in The MIC and in the Indy Metro as well.  The Big Catholics and Center Grove are now the poster boys for Indiana High School football royalty, and they have no intention of giving up that crown easily. 

Ben Davis was still in the Semi State game 2 years in a row and Warren made it to the regionals this year by beating both North Central and LN. Say what you want, but these 2 are still in the tops of the MIC and the state. I actually feel BD and WC will have very solid teams next year.

• Thanks 1

This is just another DT hot take to try to ruffle some feathers.

You could make the argument, and actually I will, make the argument, at seasons end Ben Davis was 2nd best in the MIC.  4 Semi-State appearances in 5 years.  They’re fine.  BD started slow due to covid, having less practice time than their opponents as they faced schools in Hendricks County.  By seasons end, they were better than both teams.  Then, I’m the regional they beat Carmel.  Who was better in the MIC besides CG at seasons end? 

WC had a down year but I don’t believe they’re worse off as a program.  2 years removed from a historically great program.  Won a sectional this year.  This is another program that will be fine based on returning talent next year.  Did you know that WC went 5-6 in 2012?  Many would say the talent was dry that year as well, but they’ve responded with 7 sectional titles and 2 state titles since that year.

Both BD and WC will soon reign again in 6A and you’ll be tucking your tail between your legs as you do with most of your hot take posts.

Why the need to have such expectations on teenage kids?  The urban school kids continue to amaze me while people such as DT only judge based off of records and championships.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

You could make the argument, and actually I will, make the argument, at seasons end Ben Davis was 2nd best in the MIC.  4 Semi-State appearances in 5 years.  They’re fine.  BD started slow due to covid, having less practice time than their opponents as they faced schools in Hendricks County.  By seasons end, they were better than both teams.  Then, I’m the regional they beat Carmel.  Who was better in the MIC besides CG at seasons end? 

WC had a down year but I don’t believe they’re worse off as a program.  2 years removed from a historically great program.  Won a sectional this year.  This is another program that will be fine based on returning talent next year.  Did you know that WC went 5-6 in 2012?  Many would say the talent was dry that year as well, but they’ve responded with 7 sectional titles and 2 state titles since that year.

Both BD and WC will soon reign again in 6A and you’ll be tucking your tail between your legs as you do with most of your hot take posts.

Why the need to have such expectations on teenage kids?  The urban school kids continue to amaze me while people such as DT only judge based off of records and championships.

6A is a 4 team field.  All of these schools will pile up sectional, regional and semi state titles year after year.  Its not that impressive

11 hours ago, DT said:

Ben Davis is 18-18 after 3 years under Head Coach Jason Simmons.

Warren Central just completed its worst season in 30 years.

Both programs are at decade lows in individual talent rankings based on the various recruiting services.

Center Grove and Carmel continue to gain strength and are putting distance between themselves and the two former MIC titans.

Something has to give.

North Central is getting beter every year under Coach OShea.

Lawrence North made huge strides this season.

Pike pulled off a surprise or two during the regular season.

Despite its massive enrollment advantage, Ben Davis continues to perform like a mid level MIC entity.  I see them continuing to lose ground to the new front runners unless drastic program changes are implemented top to bottom.  The program has lost its identity.  Its now only known for what it used to be.  Ben Davis' problems are fixable, but if they wait much longer, they may have fallen too far behind.

Warren used to be a magnet for Indy kids who wanted to play for the biggest, baddest, coolest school in town.  That is no longer the case.  Without great individual talent, Warren is becoming just another MIC program with a large enrollment.  The self assured cockiness that was the signature of the WC program is gone.  

This offseason will give an indication as to how serious BD and WC are about reclaiming their status not only statewide, but in The MIC and in the Indy Metro as well.  The Big Catholics and Center Grove are now the poster boys for Indiana High School football royalty, and they have no intention of giving up that crown easily. 

Never thought I would see the day when the suburban school with 2700 kids took it to programs like WC/BD and beat them into submission.  2021-22 will be the deciding factors to whether or not it is a trend or just a speed bump.  I know where you stand...

(Calling this thread now for over 100 responses with over 50 percent of them being insults @DT for his "hot take."  Folks so easily "offended" yet play right into his hands.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Never thought I would see the day when the suburban school with 2700 kids took it to programs like WC/BD and beat them into submission.  2021-22 will be the deciding factors to whether or not it is a trend or just a speed bump.  I know where you stand...

(Calling this thread now for over 100 responses with over 50 percent of them being insults @DT for his "hot take."  Folks so easily "offended" yet play right into his hands.)

It is a ridiculous hot take. Center Grove had/has a phenomenal junior and senior class, even for their program standard. Everything and every one in high school football is cyclical and Warren and Ben Davis aren’t spared either. Both teams were extremely young this year but by years end were playing some of the best football in the state, sans Center Grove. I fully expect Center Grove to repeat next year, given the talent they return, but BD and Warren will most certainly close the gap. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigBH said:

this should be cause for concern....yes they do improve as the season, but the last two years they have started miserably

Is it really though? Ben Davis was already an extremely young team to begin with, couple that with their COVID issues and lack of preparation against not only good but senior laden opponents, it’s not that shocking. They were playing just fine by seasons end once they got their feet under them.

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It is a ridiculous hot take. Center Grove had/has a phenomenal junior and senior class, even for their program standard. Everything and every one in high school football is cyclical and Warren and Ben Davis aren’t spared either. Both teams were extremely young this year but by years end were playing some of the best football in the state, sans Center Grove. I fully expect Center Grove to repeat next year, given the talent they return, but BD and Warren will most certainly close the gap. 

From what I hear, CG's freshmen and JV teams also went undefeated, so there's also that.

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Is it really though? Ben Davis was already an extremely young team to begin with, couple that with their COVID issues and lack of preparation against not only good but senior laden opponents, it’s not that shocking. They were playing just fine by seasons end once they got their feet under them.

considering previous coaches success I guess if the BD administrators are good with mediocrity.  Also, they had several senior starters and tell me more about the COVID issues.....were they more of a problem than say the two big Hendricks HCC schools?

Just now, BigBH said:

considering previous coaches success I guess if the BD administrators are good with mediocrity.  Also, they had several senior starters and tell me more about the COVID issues.....were they more of a problem than say the two big Hendricks HCC schools?

On one hand, I know that the virus knows no boundaries but I will say that Marion County was hit harder by COVID due to the fact that many of their families were struggling financially to begin with, compared to their Hendricks County counterparts.  That being said, I don't know if I buy that as a legitimate excuse.

It seemed to me that Brownsburg and BD went in different directions this season.  The 'Dogs peaked early and the Giants improved week by week.  I do not really buy into the transitive property too much and while I think it would have been much closer, I still think Brownsburg beats BD if they played again.  The Giants caught Carmel at the perfect time whereas Brownsburg did not.

2021 will be interesting.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

On one hand, I know that the virus knows no boundaries but I will say that Marion County was hit harder by COVID due to the fact that many of their families were struggling financially to begin with, compared to their Hendricks County counterparts.  That being said, I don't know if I buy that as a legitimate excuse.

It seemed to me that Brownsburg and BD went in different directions this season.  The 'Dogs peaked early and the Giants improved week by week.  I do not really buy into the transitive property too much and while I think it would have been much closer, I still think Brownsburg beats BD if they played again.  The Giants caught Carmel at the perfect time whereas Brownsburg did not.

2021 will be interesting.

Covid is not an excuse...we all had to deal with it...last year's BD/Avon game was worse than this past season....BD coach may be very good, but I think its obvious his weakness is off season preparation and early season.  Again, did Kirschner have this issue?

I would advise BD to ask the current coach to step aside and open up the job to all potential candidates.  

There is a small handful of current Indiana coaches who could step in and get the job done.  The job would attract plenty of out of state interest as well.

2 hours ago, DT said:

I would advise BD to ask the current coach to step aside and open up the job to all potential candidates.  

There is a small handful of current Indiana coaches who could step in and get the job done.  The job would attract plenty of out of state interest as well.

Jason Simmons is a very good football coach and is highly respected in Central Indiana. They continued to get better week after week this year, played in a semistate and was just outclassed by the best team in the state (which basically blew everyone out). 

14 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Jason Simmons is a very good football coach and is highly respected in Central Indiana. They continued to get better week after week this year, played in a semistate and was just outclassed by the best team in the state (which basically blew everyone out). 

Unfortunately, the record speaks for itself.  There is no positive way to spin it.  It is what it is.  Mediocrity.  If that is now acceptable at BDU, so be it.

8 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Yep!  Another DT trolling attempt.

26 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Yep!  Another DT trolling attempt.

I am not a troll.   I am a content provider.   I provide content to the site that is designed to initiate discussion between you and your fellow high school football fans and supporters.   You should be thanking me instead of attacking me.  

Just now, DT said:

I am not a troll.   I am a content provider.   I provide content to the site that is designed to initiate discussion between you and your fellow high school football fans and supporters.   You should be thanking me instead of attacking me.  

You need a new hobby.  I understand stamp collecting and basket weaving are quite a challenge.  You're a troll and not a really good one.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2