Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Reduce 6A to 24 Schools

Guest DT

2 hours ago, DT said:

How boring.  No local games to watch.  Guess you can go watch Lafayette High School practive on Friday nights for entertainment.  Or maybe watch 4500 student LHS take on 250 student LCC   That would be a barn burner.

That's not really the goal here though.  Entertainment of comes from the highest competitive environment ... or so I've heard.  Think about all of the things it would accomplish:

• Get Indiana quicker to 280 contraction
  • Produce a really big, mega northern power to compete with the Indy-area schools
  • Produce a power center with Purdue close by to bring in out-of-state schools on to their schedule
  • Provide a rallying point for the breakaway Confederate States of ... I mean the NISHAA 
  • Could likely have a negative impact by sucking all of the oxygen out of the area and forcing LCC to have close down or at least get out of football as they wouldn't be able to steal people from three other big schools which would then help get rid of a PP school from football, but not from education because that would just be plain mean
  • Might even be able to get 3A West Lafayette to fold too ... that would likely get more Purdue faculty to move to Lafayette and provide a bigger tax base than having the wealth tied up West of the Wabash ... think of the weightrooms

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's not really the goal here though.  Entertainment of comes from the highest competitive environment ... or so I've heard.  Think about all of the things it would accomplish:

• Produce a really big, mega northern power to compete with the Indy-area schools
  • Produce a power center with Purdue close by to bring in out-of-state schools on to their schedule
  • Provide a rallying point for the breakaway Confederate States of ... I mean the NISHAA 
  • Could likely have a negative impact by sucking all of the oxygen out of the area and forcing LCC to have close down or at least get out of football as they wouldn't be able to steal people from three other big schools which would then help get rid of a PP school from football, but not from education because that would just be plain mean
  • Might even be able to get 3A West Lafayette to fold too ... that would likely get more Purdue faculty to move to Lafayette and provide a bigger tax base than having the wealth tied up West of the Wabash ... think of the weightrooms

Your high powered brain is clearly unoccupied this afternoon my winged friend.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Your high powered brain is clearly unoccupied this afternoon my winged friend.

I wish ... have three projects due from my students in three classes this week that I'm fielding questions on, grading two sections of exams, creating another exam, and chauffeuring kids to a COVID test and weight training.

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

I wish ... have three projects due from my students in three classes this week that I'm fielding questions on, grading two sections of exams, creating another exam, and chauffeuring kids to a COVID test and weight training.

How do these matchups sound to you for the 5A state championship?

Jeff  vs Columbus North

Harrison vs Floyd Central

Jeff vs Chatard

Harrison vs Bloomington South

50 minutes ago, DT said:

Using this years tournament, the 24 schools would be grouped into the following Regionals.  Note there is no Sectional round in new Class 6A    Seedings have also been provided for bracket purposes :

Region 1

Crown Point   4

Lake Central     6

Portage   5

Elkhart    1

Penn    3

Carroll    2

Region 2

Homestead   3

Noblesville   6

HSE    4

Fishers    5

Westfield   1

Carmel    2

Region 3

Brownsburg   1

Avon   4

Ben Davis   3

Pike   5

Tech    6

North Central   2

Region 4

Warren Central   3

Center Grove    1

Lawrence North    2

Lawrence Central   4

Franklin Central    5

Perry Meridian    6

Semi State - Neutral Site   Region 1 vs Region 3

Semi State - Neutral Site    Region 2 vs Region 4

State Championship             LOS

In the Regional round, Top 2 seeds get first round bye.  3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5      3/6 winner plays 1 and 4/5 winner plays 2 in Regional Semi Final Round    Play it out

5 minutes ago, DT said:

How do these matchups sound to you for the 5A state championship?

Jeff  vs Columbus North

Harrison vs Floyd Central

Jeff vs Chatard

Harrison vs Bloomington South

I'd actually like to see a Harrison-Roncalli rematch if Harrison stays in 5A and Roncalli bumps up to 5A in the 2023 cycle, but Harrison may actually have enough enrollment to end up in 6A this 2021 cycle.  Also, if Harrison stays in 5A, I'd like to see a Harrison-Zionsville rematch.  If Harrison goes 6A, I'd like to see them in matchups with Westfield in three years.  My son is on Harrison's freshman squad and they dropped their game with Westfield this season 28-21.  I'd be really interested in seeing that match-up revisited in three years given what folks are saying about Westfield improving.

As for Jeff, Columbus North would be interesting, if both end up dropping out of 6A then that would be a decent matchup for both.  Don't know if Jeff's going to be slim enough this time around to go to 5A, so they wouldn't meet Cathedral in the next two post-seasons.

8 hours ago, DT said:

The focus here is on bringing balance to 6A.  Stay on topic

How does reducing the highest class to 24 bring balance?? Don't think there will ever be balance in 6A even with 24 teams. Center Grove, Carmel, Warren Central & Ben Davis have won 18 of the last 20 high class championships. If you want to bring balance have a 7A class with those 4 and then 6A would have a lot of balance with the 28 teams

• Like 1

10 hours ago, psaboy said:

How does reducing the highest class to 24 bring balance?? Don't think there will ever be balance in 6A even with 24 teams. Center Grove, Carmel, Warren Central & Ben Davis have won 18 of the last 20 high class championships. If you want to bring balance have a 7A class with those 4 and then 6A would have a lot of balance with the 28 teams

This sounds interesting. 4 team class?

8 minutes ago, southend said:

This sounds interesting. 4 team class?

Or. you could do a all Indy metro class. the list is 75% of metro Indy area schools, think I counted 18. You can take the remaining 14 from 6A and the 32 from 5A and do tw0, 5A & 6A classes with 24 teams?? The 4 schools that have won 90% of the titles the past 20 years will continue doing that IMO, so reducing the 6A to 24 doesn't provide any balance. 

15 hours ago, foxbat said:

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

The subscription is free and all have something in common ... they all pertain to threads already created here on GID.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't help spread @LCCAlum's and @gonzoron's efforts and also try to help out @Coach Nowlin's annual efforts in stating that, while said subscription is free, it helps GID if folks donate.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JQWL said:

2 out of 24 teams making the state finals. 8.3% of the teams in the class will be in the state finals. Inching too close to marching band if you ask me.

That’s as ignorant of a comment as I’ve ever  read.  Marching band has only 4 classes in Indiana.  That’s it.  The national circuit has only 3 classes, then in the finals they merge down to 1 class.  That’s it.

Know the facts before you blurt out some ignorant information such as that.

The reason 6A is 32 teams is because that's the number needed to have a tournament without byes. 

Same with 5A. 

And the way the numbers work, there will always be around 310-325 schools playing football in the state, which provides pretty good numbers for two 32-team tournaments and four 64-team ones. 

There are always going to be schools in the bottom end of the largest class - no matter how big/small you make it - that feel slighted and will not have the resources of the megaschools. The IHSAA already rejected a proposal to reduce Class 4A to 64 schools in the other sports (baseball, basketball, softball, volleyball) - and really, went out of its way to kill it by amending a good proposal and adding in the awful idea to play the four-team 4A basketball sectionals in one day. 

The IHSAA's mission is to support schools, provide and adjudicate eligibility rules and to sponsor championships. While the class system and success factor provide a sense of "competitive balance," there will always be some haves and have-nots in any system. Splitting the old 5A into two 32-team classes was a response. No matter what the system or how many schools are there, Ben Davis, Center Grove, Carmel and Warren Central are likely going to dominate whatever the class is. No matter what the makeup is of the big class - 16, 24, 32 or 64 schools, those four are likely going to pile up the titles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

That’s as ignorant of a comment as I’ve ever  read.  Marching band has only 4 classes in Indiana.  That’s it.  The national circuit has only 3 classes, then in the finals they merge down to 1 class.  That’s it.

They don’t “merge them down”. They still award a grand national champion in all 3 classes.

8 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

They do merge them down in the finals.  

The point is, there are still far fewer classes than high school football and the comment was uneducated.

Sounds more like you wanted to show off your band nerd expertise!

All schools, regardless of size, march in the same competition at BOA. For Grand Nationals 3 champions are crowned based on semi-final scores. The top 12, regardless of size, march again in prime time for overall grand champion.

Just now, Staxawax said:

Sounds more like you wanted to show off your band nerd expertise!

All schools, regardless of size, march in the same competition at BOA. For Grand Nationals 3 champions are crowned based on semi-final scores. The top 12, regardless of size, march again in prime time for overall grand champion.

No need explaining it to me, the guy who is the Visual Head at CHS has a classroom across the hall from me.  I’ve been supporting him as he has me since the 90’s.  Yes, I’m an old folk.

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Literally 10 out of 22 schools make the state finals in the smallest division. 10 out of 11 advance from regional. 5 out of 10 in semi-state. I hate to toot my own horn but those are the facts.

4 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

Let's face facts. No team that is not in the MIC conference will win the 6A state title any time soon. So we make a 7A class of just MIC teams and they all play for the 7A title and the rest of Indiana big schools will have a chance to win a trophy 

You are missing a very key point here.

While expectations of MIC 6A dominance will continue unabated, the purpose of reviewing the class size is to determine which schools "have the resources" available to potentially challenge for a championship.

Fishers and Lawrence Central are schools that broke thru that barrier in the past 15 years.

If Center Grove with 2500 kids can do it, Why cant Elkhart, Homestead, or Chesterton?  

Indy stands as an island amongst every other population center in the state.  It is 5 times the size of The Region and 8 to 10 times the size of the other tier 2 cities (Columbus/Lafayette/Fort Wayne/South Bend/Terre Haute/Bloomington/Evansville)  Reducing to 24 creates an Indy exclusive class, and adds in affluent mega schools from throughout the state that can commit the resources required to compete.