Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Playing up

Some guy that doesn’t know the difference between their, there and they’re is saying Merrillvilles is getting screwed by dropping back to 5A. Can’t they request to stay up? I know Scecina did in the early 2000’s and Seegers went down to 1A and was runner up and champs against Ritters both games. He said the state already toad them they couldn’t. Have the rules changed? I gotta go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

Some guy that doesn’t know the difference between their, there and they’re is saying Merrillvilles is getting screwed by dropping back to 5A. Can’t they request to stay up? I know Scecina did in the early 2000’s and Seegers went down to 1A and was runner up and champs against Ritters both games. He said the state already toad them they couldn’t. Have the rules changed? I gotta go. 

While I think anyone can petition up or to stay up, I think the IHSAA still has to give approval.  The difference now from when Scecina did it and when Mishawaka Marian did it is that there weren't set numbers in some of the classes and that's where I think the problem comes in.  With 32 teams in 6A a team that petitioned up into 6A would force another team out of 6A.  Just as the guy apparently doesn't want Merrillville heading back down to 5A, whichever team is 32 in 6A might equally object to being forced down to 6A when someone else got a choice to move up.  Note that SF still works under this situation because no one involved in SF movements "gets a choice."  Someone complaining that that they had to move down because of SF is equally not in control as the team that "had to move up" because of SF.  Since that situation "treats everyone the same," I would expect the IHSAA to decline someone asking to move up to 6A, whereas, if someone asked to move from 3A to 4A, that could be done without forcing someone in 4A down, so the IHSAA might approve that one.

Merrillville realized this year that their very best team in years was unable to compete with 3A Chatard and small 6A Westfield, hence it has no chance to go head to head with the big Indy 6A mega powers.

Like Valpo, Merrillville has a path to Indy thru 5A.

Merrillville ranks 25th in enrollment and still has 6 schools behind them before they can drop to 5A.  

3 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

It's really a non-issue since they aren't dropping down to 5A. But Merrillville is one of those schools who will play where they are told. If they did happen to drop down to 5A, there is absolutely no way their administration would elect to play up. They don't have enough sustained tournament success to warrant doing that. If they were in 5A, they would reach semi-state at least 50% of the time and possibly state 25% of the time. Not only will they add to their trophy case, but more importantly, more revenue for their athletic department. But like DT said, it's not happening with the states 25th largest enrollment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Merrillville realized this year that their very best team in years was unable to compete with 3A Chatard and small 6A Westfield, hence it has no chance to go head to head with the big Indy 6A mega powers.

Like Valpo, Merrillville has a path to Indy thru 5A.

Merrillville ranks 25th in enrollment and still has 6 schools behind them before they can drop to 5A.  

Enrollment I saw them at is 36th??

1 hour ago, BTF said:

It's really a non-issue since they aren't dropping down to 5A. But Merrillville is one of those schools who will play where they are told. If they did happen to drop down to 5A, there is absolutely no way their administration would elect to play up. They don't have enough sustained tournament success to warrant doing that. If they were in 5A, they would reach semi-state at least 50% of the time and possibly state 25% of the time. Not only will they add to their trophy case, but more importantly, more revenue for their athletic department. But like DT said, it's not happening with the states 25th largest enrollment.

The super fan on Facebook says they want to stay in 6A but they are dropping because of enrollment. I swear to God he did. 

6 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

The super fan on Facebook says they want to stay in 6A but they are dropping because of enrollment. I swear to God he did. 

Well, if Psaboy is correct, it looks like Merrillville might be 5A after all. And there is ZERO chance they choose to move up. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Looks like it. 

I'm sure DT will have some sort of spin on it, so I will wait 

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Well, if Psaboy is correct, it looks like Merrillville might be 5A after all. And there is ZERO chance they choose to move up. 

But, will they "stay up" due to the 2 point rule?? Kind of what Snider did for past two year cycle?

35 minutes ago, psaboy said:

But, will they "stay up" due to the 2 point rule?? Kind of what Snider did for past two year cycle?

29 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

They moved up for enrollment not points 

Yep, SF points to stay up only apply to teams that moved up due to SF.

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Merrillville drops to 5A if we cut 6A to 24 schools

5 hours ago, BTF said:

Looks like it. 

I have not seen this report previously.  It looks life an excel spreadsheet

What is the source?

Looks like Portage and Terre Haute are seeing significant enrollment declines

2 hours ago, DT said:

I have not seen this report previously.  It looks life an excel spreadsheet

What is the source?

Looks like Portage and Terre Haute are seeing significant enrollment declines

Not sure of the source, but it looks like someone put some effort into it. Looks like Merrillville remains anyway due to the 2 point rule. It's too bad, they are a better fit for 5A doing battle with Snider, Dwenger, and Valpo.

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Not sure of the source, but it looks like someone put some effort into it. Looks like Merrillville remains anyway due to the 2 point rule. It's too bad, they are a better fit for 5A doing battle with Snider, Dwenger, and Valpo.

Agree 100%

crimsonace1

• 200 Post Club
  •  
  • Referee
  •  
  • 255 posts
  • New Palestine

Here's what I was able to pull. Note: These are unofficial and reflect 4-grade enrollment. With regards to Hammond, I merged Clark & Hammond's enrollments, as well as Gavit & Morton's, as is the consolidation plan. The Evansville schools, for example, tend to get a bit of an enrollment bump. I have no idea what Park Tudor's enrollment is, but they're solidly 1A. Danville's result tomorrow will determine whether it is 3A or 4A for the next two years. By this math, that will likely affect Delta (which goes down to 3A if Danville wins). 

UPDATE: I have made edits to reflect LCC being in 2A and Madison (not Madison-Grant) in 3A. 

IHSAA enrollment - Copy of Sheet1 (3).pdf76.38 kB · 162 downloads

2 hours ago, BTF said:

They weren’t in 6A for SF points it was enrollment so points don’t matter. STATE LAW!