Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Playing up

3 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

If the numbers dropped. There seems to be different enrollment numbers floating around 

Good point

Im not sure what set of numbers is accurate

I trust the IHSAA website showing enrollment thru 20-21 school year.

5 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

24 replies but no answer. Can a team apply to stay up? Where’s Nowlins when you need him?

Does this answer it?

2-3 Classification by Enrollment; Different Classes Assignment; Change Class AssignmentSchool enrollment figures used for classifying Schools shall be the enrollment in grades 9-12 for all students, as certified in the annual report filed with the State Department of Education in a classification year. a. Schools with single gender enrollment shall double the certified enrollment figures for classification purposes. b. A School may be assigned to different Classes in different sports. c. A School shall be assigned to a Class by the IHSAA and shall enter the IHSAA tournament in that assigned Class unless it notifies the Association, in writing, that it wishes to move up One (1) or more Classes. This notification shall (1) accompany the submission of the School’s enrollment figures and (2) be effective for the succeeding Two (2) years. A School may choose to move up in a specific sport/s.

This was also in the FAQ section:

How are Schools, during Team Sports reclassifications, placed in classes when there are Schools which change Classes because of the Success Factor?A. Application of rule 2-2, the Reclassification Rule and rule 2-5, the Success Factor Rule, determine the placement and the number of Schools in each Class. During reclassification in a Team Sport, Schools are placed in Classes based upon Rule 2 - Classification of Schools22enrollment pursuant to rule 2-2; these Classes are customarily of equal size. A School subject to the Success Factor is then placed into a larger-enrollment Class pursuant to rule 2-5. In Team Sports other than football, even if this re-classing results in a Class having more Schools than another Class, rule 2-2(g) prohibits moving any School into a lower-enrollment Class. However, in the Team Sport of football, rule 2-2(g) is inapplicable, and after a School is re-classed into a larger-enrollment Class pursuant to rule 2-5, the smallest School in that Class shall move down to the next lower-enrollment Class in order to have equal sized Classes.

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/2020-21 By-Laws.pdf

Not necessarily State Law, but could be By-Law.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Does this answer it?

2-3 Classification by Enrollment; Different Classes Assignment; Change Class AssignmentSchool enrollment figures used for classifying Schools shall be the enrollment in grades 9-12 for all students, as certified in the annual report filed with the State Department of Education in a classification year. a. Schools with single gender enrollment shall double the certified enrollment figures for classification purposes. b. A School may be assigned to different Classes in different sports. c. A School shall be assigned to a Class by the IHSAA and shall enter the IHSAA tournament in that assigned Class unless it notifies the Association, in writing, that it wishes to move up One (1) or more Classes. This notification shall (1) accompany the submission of the School’s enrollment figures and (2) be effective for the succeeding Two (2) years. A School may choose to move up in a specific sport/s.

This was also in the FAQ section:

How are Schools, during Team Sports reclassifications, placed in classes when there are Schools which change Classes because of the Success Factor?A. Application of rule 2-2, the Reclassification Rule and rule 2-5, the Success Factor Rule, determine the placement and the number of Schools in each Class. During reclassification in a Team Sport, Schools are placed in Classes based upon Rule 2 - Classification of Schools22enrollment pursuant to rule 2-2; these Classes are customarily of equal size. A School subject to the Success Factor is then placed into a larger-enrollment Class pursuant to rule 2-5. In Team Sports other than football, even if this re-classing results in a Class having more Schools than another Class, rule 2-2(g) prohibits moving any School into a lower-enrollment Class. However, in the Team Sport of football, rule 2-2(g) is inapplicable, and after a School is re-classed into a larger-enrollment Class pursuant to rule 2-5, the smallest School in that Class shall move down to the next lower-enrollment Class in order to have equal sized Classes.

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/2020-21 By-Laws.pdf

Not necessarily State Law, but could be By-Law.

Conform or be cast out........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JeffO2 said:

M'ville has lost 5 straight to Valpo, so they probably don't want to be in the same sectional.

I was just going by what a fan was saying on the Indiana high school football Facebook page. Said they were already toad they can’t move up and other fan boy stuff. I kinda think he’s full of shit, I swear to God I do!

Here's a question that came to mind reading this thread... IF Merrillville ends up falling down to 5A due to enrollment, would their tournament success the last 2 years (2 Regional Championships and thus 4 accumulated points) keep them in 6A?

I am almost 100% that is what happened with Fort Wayne Snider going into the last realignment. They were going to get bumped back to 5A because they had only won 2 sectionals in 6A and thus 2 points, then the IHSAA changed the rule to having 2 points be enough to keep you up so they did. Granted, that was more of a success factor thing than enrollment thing, but I feel like since the Pirates have clearly proven they can at least win Regional Championships within 6A... they should stay up in 6A. It makes no sense to me that a back-to-back Regional Champion would be sent down a class due to enrollment.

@Coach Nowlin any insight?

9 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Here's a question that came to mind reading this thread... IF Merrillville ends up falling down to 5A due to enrollment, would their tournament success the last 2 years (2 Regional Championships and thus 4 accumulated points) keep them in 6A?

I am almost 100% that is what happened with Fort Wayne Snider going into the last realignment. They were going to get bumped back to 5A because they had only won 2 sectionals in 6A and thus 2 points, then the IHSAA changed the rule to having 2 points be enough to keep you up so they did. Granted, that was more of a success factor thing than enrollment thing, but I feel like since the Pirates have clearly proven they can at least win Regional Championships within 6A... they should stay up in 6A. It makes no sense to me that a back-to-back Regional Champion would be sent down a class due to enrollment.

Not sure what the official ruling is, but I do know that Merrillville and Snider dropping to 5A weakens 6A North considerably. The odds of the north winning state drops from 15:1 to 30:1. 

1 minute ago, CoachGallogly said:

Isn't it easier to win in 5A than 6A?   Wouldn't more bigger 5A teams in the north increase the chance of a state title?  If they don't have a shot in 5A, why would you think they have a shot in 6A?

Re-read my post. The second sentence was referring to 6A, not 5A. 

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Zero bearing 

The cycle starts at 0 this upcoming year.  M'ville will be placed in their enrollment classification, whether it is 6a or 5a, time will tell, if it is 5a, then they have 0 points.   If it is 6a, they have zero points. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Zero bearing 

The cycle starts at 0 this upcoming year.  M'ville will be placed in their enrollment classification, whether it is 6a or 5a, time will tell, if it is 5a, then they have 0 points.   If it is 6a, they have zero points. 

Interesting. So I am assuming this would be for all classes as well, correct?

For example, if a school had just won back to back sectional titles in class 3A, but their enrollment for the upcoming cylce puts them in class 2A, they would not stay in class 3A due to accumulation of 2 points in previous cycle?

45 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Interesting. So I am assuming this would be for all classes as well, correct?

For example, if a school had just won back to back sectional titles in class 3A, but their enrollment for the upcoming cylce puts them in class 2A, they would not stay in class 3A due to accumulation of 2 points in previous cycle?

Best answers I have live here: 

• Like 1