Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What is happening to Terre Haute Enrollments?

Guest DT

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Is Martinsville unhappy in the Mid State?

Is BNL unhappy in the Hoosier Hills?

I would say they would be happier in a new CI. Both have rivalries with the Bloomington schools and the Terre haute schools. Both are relatively close to both Bloomington and Terre Haute. Swapping them with two CI schools would be relatively easy, and would involve minimal change. 

The only real disadvantage I can see in having Columbus North in the Hoosier Hills is that Columbus North and New Albany both have the same mascots. 

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I would say they would be happier in a new CI. Both have rivalries with the Bloomington schools and the Terre haute schools. Both are relatively close to both Bloomington and Terre Haute. Swapping them with two CI schools would be relatively easy, and would involve minimal change. 

The only real disadvantage I can see in having Columbus North in the Hoosier Hills is that Columbus North and New Albany both have the same mascots. 

The Mid State is one of the most stable, competitive and balanced conferences in the state.  Given that Martinsville left CI to ecsape its instability, I would be shocked if they would go back.  They have good rivaries with Plainfield , Mooresville and DC and play BS in non con action.

I believe there is also a standing a greement between the Columbus schools that they will play in separate conferences.  Unconfirmed.  Perhaps a Columbus resident can confirm.

47 minutes ago, DT said:

I believe there is also a standing a greement between the Columbus schools that they will play in separate conferences.  Unconfirmed.  Perhaps a Columbus resident can confirm.

Fuel costs > "pride"

Edited by DanteEstonia
added quotation marks

On 12/4/2020 at 6:55 PM, DT said:

Reverse migration to Illinois?

Much of Terre Haute's population is originally from the coal mines of West Virginia. One of my grandmothers was born in Brazil, Indiana.

There is a documentary on YouTube about Slick Leonard. It's a good watch.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 2:44 PM, DT said:

That is certainly the case in northern Illinois and the Chicago metro area.

This part of Illinois is rural farm country.  Much like Indiana

With the same tax rates of their northern compadres!  As the billboards here in Evansville said: "Illinoyed, bring your business to Indiana."

1 minute ago, ts32 said:

Interesting. The new Vigo County School Corporation Superintendent, Dr. Robert Haworth, just came from Elkhart...

I would be surprised if Terre Haute "did not" consolidate within the next 5 to 10 years.  The schools are 50 years old.  Anderson, Muncie, Hammond, Elkhart have gone thru consolidation.  The blue print is in place.  Look for TH to follow suit.  

11 minutes ago, DT said:

I would be surprised if Terre Haute "did not" consolidate within the next 5 to 10 years.  The schools are 50 years old.  Anderson, Muncie, Hammond, Elkhart have gone thru consolidation.  The blue print is in place.  Look for TH to follow suit.  

Find with me as long as the new Terre Haute High School adopts the classic mascot "The Black Cats" of Terre Haute Gerstmeyer.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Because of all the attractive features causing people to move move to Terre Haute? 😆😂🤣

Of course!  But beyond that, who knows what will happen there, new industries could come in, thereby attracting a population influx.  

20 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Of course!  But beyond that, who knows what will happen there, new industries could come in, thereby attracting a population influx.  

I suppose stranger things have happened. But not outside an episode of The Twilight Zone.

• Like 1

Terre Haute is an aging city much like Muncie, South Bend, Hammond, Elkhart, etc where it no longer needs 1970s level infrastructure to support the declining population.

New technology will create consolidation and downsizing opportunities where eventual outcomes will produce better productivity for the region.

A single TH high school supporting 2500-3000 students with new technological upgrades will provide a better educational experience for local students, and possibly attract enough new industry to maintain new lower population levels.  This is the strategy in Hammond, Muncie  and Elkhart.  

Edited by DT

One also must consider logistics.  Terre Haute is a vertical city and transit time to the new Terre Haute Fighting Hautians High School could take a long time.  Maybe they’ll just move down to 4 and potentially 3A, but I think both schools will continue to operate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

A single TH high school supporting 2500-3000 students with new technological upgrades will provide a better educational experience for local students, and possibly attract enough new industry to maintain new lower population levels.  This is the strategy in Hammond, Muncie  and Elkhart. 

If they did that, they shouldn't bother fielding sports teams. The Indy schools always complain about traveling, and they would be the only schools in the class of a consolidated Terre Haute High.