Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

What is happening to Terre Haute Enrollments?


Guest DT
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Schools/Enrollments-Classifications

file:///C:/Users/tmphi/Downloads/IHSAA%20enrollment%20-%20Copy%20of%20Sheet1%20(3).pdf

As I was perusing thru the latest update on school enrollments, I was shocked to see the dramatic declines at Terre Haute North and South.

Based on the attached files, the following enrollments were reported from the Terre Haute schools in the 2013 classification and then in the 2020 classification :

                                             2013              2020            %Change

TH North                              1929              1431              (26%)

TH South                              1805              1463              (19%)

Total                                     3734              2894             (22.5%)

Since leaving The MIC, TH high school enrollment is down a whopping 22.5%

This dramatic decline may present the opportunity for the Terre Haute schools to combine with other western Indiana schools to create a new conference as enrollment discrepencies have narrowed

TH North and South could also suddenly be post season players as they will likely both be classified as 4A schools based on the latest enrollment projections.

What do you think?  

Are TH North and South potential 4A tournament threats?

Could we possibly see a new WIC developing in the near future?

Is there potential to bring some Illinois schools into the mix?

Are the Terre Hautes ready to determine their own future finally after being at the mercy of other schools in The MIC and Conference Indiana?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DT said:

https://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Schools/Enrollments-Classifications

file:///C:/Users/tmphi/Downloads/IHSAA%20enrollment%20-%20Copy%20of%20Sheet1%20(3).pdf

As I was perusing thru the latest update on school enrollments, I was shocked to see the dramatic declines at Terre Haute North and South.

Based on the attached files, the following enrollments were reported from the Terre Haute schools in the 2013 classification and then in the 2020 classification :

                                             2013              2020            %Change

TH North                              1929              1431              (26%)

TH South                              1805              1463              (19%)

Total                                     3734              2894             (22.5%)

Since leaving The MIC, TH high school enrollment is down a whopping 22.5%

This dramatic decline may present the opportunity for the Terre Haute schools to combine with other western Indiana schools to create a new conference as enrollment discrepencies have narrowed

TH North and South could also suddenly be post season players as they will likely both be classified as 4A schools based on the latest enrollment projections.

What do you think?  

Are TH North and South potential 4A tournament threats?

Could we possibly see a new WIC developing in the near future?

Is there potential to bring some Illinois schools into the mix?

Are the Terre Hautes ready to determine their own future finally after being at the mercy of other schools in The MIC and Conference Indiana?

 

 

 

Have you been to Terre Haute? Lol I joke! Seriously, that's a crazy drop in enrollment. I do think it's probably time for them both to change conferences. In most conferences, I believe they would be more successful during the regular season. Having that success, would only help to get out more players.  I don't really need to do the research to guess who would be in their sectional in 4A, to know that their sectional would then be easier than it currently is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, southend said:

Yea, who would want to leave Terre Haute any way?

Terre Haute is not an industrial town like the northern cities

It's a college town

Something else is amiss

 

Just now, DT said:

Terre Haute is not an industrial town like the northern cities

It's a college town

Something else is amiss

 

Seems a lot like Elkhart where a consolidation might be in the future

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DT said:

Terre Haute is not an industrial town like the northern cities

It's a college town

Something else is amiss

 

Seems a lot like Elkhart where a consolidation might be in the future

But if you consolidate into a school of 3k, where do you go in terms of conference affiliation?  Would they become the bully of Conference Indiana at that point?

(Though I will say/add that my theory surrounding SES > enrollment is supported by the Conference Indiana standings...)

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Staxawax said:

No way they are moving to Illinois.  Illinois is losing population because of tax rates.

That is certainly the case in northern Illinois and the Chicago metro area.

This part of Illinois is rural farm country.  Much like Indiana

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live here in ole Terre Haute. We've lost a lot lately business wise and nothing is coming in to take it's place. The school corporation had a big scandal with millions of dollars involved. I think that alienated some people and they left. Some still think some shady business going on with them with money disappearing and then magically reappearing. West Vigo also has a few transfer from both schools. And West Vigo has had an enrollment drop too. When I graduated, enrollment was right around 560 or 570. It's down to about 515 now. Not a huge drop but noticeable in a school that size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Therer has long been talk of the Terre haute schools rejoining the WIC.  When THN and THS were both near 2000 students, it did not make sense.  But now the enrolment discrepency is much closer.  The WIC could possibly break diwn into Bg and Small school divisions.  

 

 

WESTERN INDIANA
ALL TIMES EASTERN
Gold Division
THN          1430 CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
THS                  1460 W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Northview         990 4-0 142 30 7-  3 269 148 Lost 1
Indian Creek      585 3-1 89 74 6-  4 259 176 Lost 2
Sullivan                514 2-2 116 95 8-  4 360 240 Lost 1
Edgewood          763 1-3 59 128 4-  7 199 270 Lost 1
Owen Valley         664 0-4 34 113 3-  7 197 233 Lost 1
Green Division
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
South Putnam         360 5-0 243 79 12-  1 551 233 Lost 1
West Vigo                   518 3-1 97 77 5-  4 213 192 Lost 2
Greencastle             484 3-2 195 68 6-  5 382 184 Lost 1
Brown County       548 2-3 123 150 5-  5 210 266 Lost 1
North Putnam      422 1-4 130 189 2-  9 211 341 Lost 1
Cloverdale 0-4 24 249 0-  8 78 436 Lost 12
©conference game
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

I live here in ole Terre Haute. We've lost a lot lately business wise and nothing is coming in to take it's place. The school corporation had a big scandal with millions of dollars involved. I think that alienated some people and they left. Some still think some shady business going on with them with money disappearing and then magically reappearing. West Vigo also has a few transfer from both schools. And West Vigo has had an enrollment drop too. When I graduated, enrollment was right around 560 or 570. It's down to about 515 now. Not a huge drop but noticeable in a school that size.

Everything I find on line says the populations of Terre Haute vand Vigo County are virtually unchanged since 2010.  There are other possibilities including the average age is increasing or there was a 4-5 year window where Hautians quit having sex.  😆    I'm sure there's a way to check the enrollment of lower grades but I don't know how to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The schools closer to Indy continue to grow and I would imagine that is where some of those families from Vigo County with school aged children have gone.  Family sizes continue to get smaller but that alone wouldn’t explain the decrease in enrollments.  That is a factor everywhere.  Many schools saw an enrollment dip this year due to students transitioning to online schools.  I wouldn’t expect that trend to be higher in Terre Haute than anywhere else.

Even though the Terre Haute schools have lost a significant number of students, they are still quite a bit larger than the other schools in their area with the exception of Northview.  They would still have a hard time convincing any conference to allow them to join because they are too big or too far away. The nearest Illinois schools with over 1,000 students are Mattoon, Danville, and a few in Champaign.  I don’t think any of them are open to bringing THN and THS into their conferences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grover said:

Everything I find on line says the populations of Terre Haute vand Vigo County are virtually unchanged since 2010.  There are other possibilities including the average age is increasing or there was a 4-5 year window where Hautians quit having sex.  😆    I'm sure there's a way to check the enrollment of lower grades but I don't know how to do it.

The DOE website will be your best source.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

Even though the Terre Haute schools have lost a significant number of students, they are still quite a bit larger than the other schools in their area with the exception of Northview.  They would still have a hard time convincing any conference to allow them to join because they are too big or too far away. The nearest Illinois schools with over 1,000 students are Mattoon, Danville, and a few in Champaign.  I don’t think any of them are open to bringing THN and THS into their conferences.

Here's the new CI, as proposed by Dante Estonia:

TH South

TH North 

BHSS

BHSN

BNL 

Martinsville

Northview

 

Southport fills Martinsville's spot in the Mid-State; Columbus North fills BNL's spot in the Hoosier Hills. Now we have stability. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

The schools closer to Indy continue to grow and I would imagine that is where some of those families from Vigo County with school aged children have gone.  Family sizes continue to get smaller but that alone wouldn’t explain the decrease in enrollments.  That is a factor everywhere.  Many schools saw an enrollment dip this year due to students transitioning to online schools.  I wouldn’t expect that trend to be higher in Terre Haute than anywhere else.

Even though the Terre Haute schools have lost a significant number of students, they are still quite a bit larger than the other schools in their area with the exception of Northview.  They would still have a hard time convincing any conference to allow them to join because they are too big or too far away. The nearest Illinois schools with over 1,000 students are Mattoon, Danville, and a few in Champaign.  I don’t think any of them are open to bringing THN and THS into their conferences.

There are large enrollment discrepencies in conferences all across the state :

DAC      Lake Central 3300 to Michigan City 1800

NIC       Penn 3300 to Bremen  500

SAC      Homestead 2600 to Luers 450

MIC       Carmel 5500 to Lawrence Central 2300

NLC      Warsaw 2100 to Northwood  880

SIAC     Castle 1900 to Mater Dei  505

No reason the WIC cant do the same

 

 

8 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Here's the new CI, as proposed by Dante Estonia:

TH South

TH North 

BHSS

BHSN

BNL 

Martinsville

Northview

 

Southport fills Martinsville's spot in the Mid-State; Columbus North fills BNL's spot in the Hoosier Hills. Now we have stability. 

Is Martinsville unhappy in the Mid State?

Is BNL unhappy in the Hoosier Hills?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...