Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Official takes a lick.....

Bunch of variables.  I’m not sure of the score or time left or his year.

If they’re down 10 with 2 minutes to go and he’s a senior then the Kid may have went rouge.  

If he’s a junior and they’re down 10 or up 7 in the 3rd qtr ?????? 

On 12/4/2020 at 1:01 PM, trojan474 said:

I saw a little bit longer clip than the one posted.  It started with 88 making a late hit on the qb, and off camera I think a fight ensued back on that side and a coach was trying to separate the people involved in that.  Either way, that kid just sealed his fate with any future in football.

Not necessarily, I seen a story where a kid intentionally hit a referee on the last play of a game several years ago. I believe was his senior season. To make a long story short the player eventually was able to go to a college play football, graduate and eventually he became a reserve police officer.

Edited by Gridiron_Junkie

19 hours ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

Not necessarily, I seen a story where a kid intentionally hit a referee on the last play of a game several years ago. I believe was his senior season. To make a long story short the player eventually was able to go to a college play football, graduate and eventually he became a reserve police officer.

I also saw he was suspended/disciplined in the spring during soccer for something similar.  The article didn't say what exactly but it seems there is pattern here.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, foxbat said:

I understand where you are coming from, but as I look at this, it's a school/coach issue as much as it is a kid issue.  Football is a team sport and while folks get heated in the course of a play and sometimes right after a hit you shove someone or say something, no one should ever feel that they have a right, green light, ability, or anything else to leave the sideline like that, run across the field, and strike someone else.

Youth ball may be different than high school ball, but frankly it shouldn't be.  I've coached 18 seasons of youth ball and never, in all of my years of coaching, ever had to worry about any of my players talking back to ref, pitching a fit on the field, striking another player after a play even if they were hit first, etc.  In every season we have a couple early practices long before we ever play our first game where I sit the kids down and tell them exactly what I expect their behavior to be and exactly what I expect it not to be.  We talk about not talking back to a ref or questioning a call.  We talk about if they have an issue they tell me about it and I'll talk with the ref or the other coach.  We talk about always walking away if you are struck after a play and letting the refs and me worry about what will happen.  We also talk about helping the opponent up after a tackle and, if offered a hand up by an opponent accepting that offer even if you took a big hit.  We also talk about the fact that they are part of something bigger and that their actions, both on and off the field, are not just reflective upon themselves, but also reflective of their teammates, their coaches, their program, and their schools.  Then as part of the talk before the first game I remind them of that and add one more thing, "To act like you've been there before.  Be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat."  I love it when my kids perform on the field, but I love it just as much when they respect the game, the refs, the opponents, and their own teammates.  And my players all know that and know without a doubt exactly how I expect them to play and to act.

It's a harsh thing to have happen, but if it happened on one of my teams, I would hold no ill will against the association and I would explain it to my team that the fault was mine and the player's for not doing a better job looking out for our team.

Agree 100% with your post.

It's also possible the decision makers might be trying to send a message that this kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.  Aside from whatever might have been going on with the player, this could be a culture/discipline issue within the team, or maybe the athletic program as a whole.  Can't say for sure, but the player should have been monitored better on the sidelines.  I've seen some pretty enraged high school and college players ejected, and I wouldn't trust some of them unsupervised on the sidelines - or anywhere until they cool off.

Edited by Bonecrusher