Last Friday ...
Linton at Shakamak-  This wasn't close at any point.  JT May struggled to get his shot off... he may have had 8 points... Most were late when the Miners played a 2-3 zone.  The rest of his team didn't help him much.  Tough spot for a young player.  One Shakamak player even seemed to take himself out.  The JV game was at least close for a half until the Miners pulled away... I think they won by 25+.

North Central at Clay City - This was closer than I expected.  North Central looks to have a winning season with just 2 games left.  CC doesn't win games, but they play teams closer than expected.

North Knox at North Daviess-  This game was really close. 

Washington at Bloomfield- Is Washington down?  Bloomfield won this by a sizable margin

WRV at Springs Valley- I thought this might be a game WRV could squeeze out.  

Last Saturday... 
Bloomington South at Bloomfield- Bloomington South is a good team... and haven't lost in 2021.

Clay City at Shakamak-  Shakamak should have won this game... and did.

Owen Valley at WRV-  Atkinson & Co. had to be too much for the Wolverines.

West Vigo at North Central-  Nice win for the T-Birds

A lot of games in just a week or so with the season winding down.  This past weekend cemented some of the standings within the conference.

Friday night...

Linton @ North Daviess-  The Miner faithful started the evening watching their JV hand North Daviess JV their first loss of the season on a last second shot.  The Miners were up, but turnovers, a couple dumb fouls, and a few made shots by the Cougars made the game closer than it should have been.  It was an entertaining start to the evening.  As for the varsity contest, this was for a share of the conference title.  The Cougars seemed to take a page out of the book of Eastern and Greencastle... move the ball around on offense... hit 3 pointers play physical defense.  In all 3 of those games, those teams moved the ball well and hit open 3 pointers.  In each of those games the Miners saw teams hit 8+ three pointers.  Although the Miners have some good individual defenders... they are not really a very good team defense.  They don't rotate well to the next guy while in their man defense... they are often out of position when in their 1-3-1.  Nobody cares when you are making steals, but all 3 of those games... teams were patient and made shots.  Sort of odd considering the Linton JV is really solid on defense, but struggles to score.  Either way... the Cougars had a plan and executed it well.  On offense, Jaylen Mullen drove a kicked out to open shooters... he hit three 3 pointers of his own.  He was outstanding the whole night.  Defensively, they put athletes on Hale and Hart who were going to hand check them all over the floor.  I was mildly impressed with their ability to grab a jersey without an official seeing it.  Throughout the year... both of those guys have had mixed results when physical defenders are allowed to bumo them.  Sometimes officials call that... they never call those type of fouls at North Daviess.  Pyne and Smith seemed to be the only Miners ready for a physical battle.  After all... when in Rome??  Oddly, the JV game was similar... The Cougars were aggressive on defense... its just the Miners start 3 guys that are 215+ and don't get pushed around easily... in fact... they seem to enjoy the contact.  They also bring in an all state free safety in off the bench 😉   The varsity contest was a good win for the Cougars... they took what they knew about Linton's weaknesses and exploited them.  If the Miners want to make a deep run... they need to figure out how to play through physical play and rotate better on the defensive end.

Bloomfield over Greencastle- Good win for the Cardinals.  I really liked Greencastle's stud guard.  He was really good in the Wabash Valley Tournament. 

Saturday night...

Bloomfield lost to New Albany-  We don't get to see 80-73 games very often these days.  Losses are losses, but this seems like a loss that would help the Cardinals for the postseason.

Linton defeats North Central... again-  North Central is solid... the Miners played uninspired basketball for most of the game.  Everytime the Miners would extend the lead to 10+ points... the T-Birds would come back.  I think it was as close as 1 point in the 4th quarter.  Tough to beat a team 3 times in a season, but the Miners seemed to move on defense with the same lack of purpose as the night before.  They also did a poor job rebounding and coming away with those 50/50 balls.  Maybe it was 2 games in 15 hours, but they just seemed uninterested.  Lincoln Hale became the leader scorer in Greene county basketball history surpassing AJ Graves.  Nice company to be in.   The Miners will need to be better for TH South and North Putnam this week.

North Daviess defeated Bloomington Lighthouse-  Not a shocker

Eastern loss a close match up with Paoli-  Paoli has a strong senior big man... I'm sure they are the mix to win their sectional.

Shakamak over WRV-  Good win for the Lakers.  Sort of sad that WRV couldn't score 30 points.  I figured this would be a game Ellett would have his way around the basket.  I guess not.