Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Franklin Central - Good job?

Negatives: 1) Bottom of the HCC for awhile now. 2) Center Grove in the sectional.  3) You will lose some kids to Lutheran, Warren Central, Roncalli, and maybe even New Pal. 

Positives: 1) You play in a premier conference 

My question is this: What makes FC a good coaching job? 

Also losing kids to Triton Central.  The good FR running back at TC played all his junior high ball for FC.  I have heard that several starters on TC girls basketball team are also kids that are from FC school system.  

FC is starting to get big and it may be scaring some kids away.

There was talk that they are actually starting to get some WC kids since the new basketball coach had coached at WC, so that may be a positive.

"Good job" yes.  But the move to the HCC still a head scratcher to me unless they simply had nowhere else to go.

They'll eclipse the 3000 student mark here soon and have the facilities to compete.  You outlined some of the problems but I would also add that they are not "privileged" enough to compete with the HCC schools in the country club sports and have yet (though there is still time) to show they can compete with those same schools in the ball sports.

Lowest SES percentage in Marion County and the fastest growing district in the county, so there IS hope.

Edited by temptation

3,000+ kids from @temptation's highly preferred socio-economic status.  Great facilities.  Rich tradition if you're as old as I am.  Make the program good enough and you won't lose kids to neighbor programs.  I think it is a great job.

Edit:  Aaaaand he beat me to the punch.  LOL.  Color me surprised if their SES is the lowest in the county.  

Edited by Grover

Just now, Grover said:

3,000+ kids from @temptation's highly preferred socio-economic status.  Great facilities.  Rich tradition if you're as old as I am.  Make the program good enough and you won't lose kids to neighbor programs.  I think it is a great job.

I wouldn't say "highly preferred."  Around 40 percent which makes them the lowest public district in Marion County BY FAR but the HIGHEST in the HCC with only Avon close.

2 minutes ago, Grover said:

I think the number of free and reduced lunches is used most often on this forum.

Unless the premise being provided is rendered incorrect by the numbers. 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I've always wondered why it even matters. Do better football players pay for their lunches, or do the better ones get them for free?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Not gonna let ya derail this one my man.  

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I've always wondered why it even matters. Do better football players pay for their lunches, or do the better ones get them for free?

You obviously don’t work in education or coach at any level...

(See above post.)

• Like 2

Cathedral scrimmaged Franklin Central to start the season and they flat out beat us on the field. Had as many scores as CHS for sure. They had a 230lb running back that was awesome that day with a wild name. I was VERY surprised they weren’t more of a factor this year. Thought Cathedral was in for a long season after that scrimmage. 

Avon game FC was horrible....coaching,talent...everything...they were down 28 and trash talking like crazy while wearing the ugliest uniforms.  Maybe the HCC can package a trade and send FC and Noblesville to another conference.

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, jets said:

SES ??? Socio-economic status?? 

How is that determined?? Is there a metric for it? 

Yes.  A common metric used here in Indiana and on the GID is the # of students on free/reduced lunches and/or textbooks.  For example, compare this "4A" school:  https://inview.doe.in.gov/schools/1011700997/population

with this "4A" school: https://inview.doe.in.gov/schools/1000003320/population

Look at the "economically disadvantaged" metric (which is the moniker the IDOE has started using recently instead of the politically incorrect "I get cheap/free stuff from taxpayers because I'm poor".)

• Disdain 5

2 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

Not sure you're onto something here. Look at his son's career. Good try though.

Just playing devil’s advocate for the sake or argument.  That’s all.

Folks sometimes down play my SES argument, but that’s exactly what’s in play here.

Some folks get upset because they view things on a week to week basis...I tend to view things more from a long term perspective.

How else can you explain a guy leaving WARREN CENTRAL for the bottom program in the HCC?

Spin it for me.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 4:02 PM, temptation said:

Not gonna let ya derail this one my man.  

You obviously don’t work in education or coach at any level...

(See above post.)

I know you like to bring up SES Socio Economics, but how do you explain East St. Louis in Illinois or some other schools lacking in SES from other states? What do they have that poor SES schools in Indiana don't have (honest question). I mean if there is any school with terrible SES it would be East St. Louis Flyers (by a long shot) not even comparable to terrible SES in Indiana. Yet they can win Illinois 7A State Championships. I think some try to use it as a crutch, but it can and is overcome in multiple states.

• Like 1