Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Covenent Christian - Time for a Reality Check

Guest DT

I find it hard to believe that anybody could justify the idea that Covenent and all other 1A PPs are competing on a level playing field..

Its just pure nonsense.

Lets look at a little history.

Larry McWhorter, a state championship winning Hall of Fame Coach at Zionsville, left his post at ZHS to start , develop and build the Covenent program into a 1A powerhouse.  He didnt just randomly select Covenent for this project.  The school is located in prime high school football territory just a few blocks down from Ben Davis High School.  Its understood that the Covenent roster is stocked with kids from throughout the city of Indianapolis as well as the athlete rich donut suburban communities.

Is it fair to assume that Covenent has done some marketing and advertising to promote this new program over the years?  Thats all within the rules.

Is it also fair to assume that to a certain extent, CC is able to hand pick its roster and look for specific talent to fill areas of need on the roster?  With all those people resources so close by, it should nt be too dificult to find a left guard or a SAM LB if those are pressing roster needs.

This whole notion that a rural county school is somehow benefitting significantly from open enrollment is a true revelation to me.  Do we really think this is occuring?  Are small rural county schools like South Adams becoming football magnets for any kid with a little pigskin talent in a 50 mile radius of the high school?  If indeed this is truly happening in 1A public football, then it must pale in comparison to the football magnet that CC wields in central suburban Indy.

Bottom line, kudos to CC.  They hatched a plan, developed a program, and achieved a major milestone in a very short period of time.  But lets not pretend that this is the norm, or anything even remotely close to it.   The CC story is the poster child for why no PP should ever compete at the 1A level, regardless of enrollment.  

a few years ago one of the Hendricks County HCC schools expelled a kid for his sophomore year/season....enrolled at CC for that year and went back to that HCC school and most games was the best player/athlete on the field for two years....now playing local D2....I assume they had a few rentals on this year's team... they look at it as that 12k will add nicely to the bottom line....also a few years ago they had a few rental basketball players from Carmel after a former well know IU player sent his kids there.  Money talks
  •  
2 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

Do you really believe a school like CC is going out and recruiting by position? That wasn't meant to be a snarky question, I genuinely wonder if that is really the case?

No they don't recruit...they don't need to as kids will show up for various reasons

3 minutes ago, BigBH said:
 a few years ago one of the Hendricks County HCC schools expelled a kid for his sophomore year/season....enrolled at CC for that year and went back to that HCC school and most games was the best player/athlete on the field for two years....now playing local D2....I assume they had a few rentals on this year's team... they look at it as that 12k will add nicely to the bottom line....also a few years ago they had a few rental basketball players from Carmel after a former well know IU player sent his kids there.  Money talks
  •  

No they don't recruit...they don't need to as kids will show up for various reasons

LOL.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

The phrase rental player.  Though true, it sounds so wrong.

the example from the HCC school I think that rental applies.  It's not easy at CC...academics are very tough, you have to provide transportation and food, so I'm not knocking them it is what it is on athletics.

32 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

Do you really believe a school like CC is going out and recruiting by position? That wasn't meant to be a snarky question, I genuinely wonder if that is really the case?

Is there anything in place that can prevent them from doing so?

Whenever the CC staff is at CYO events, are they not "recruiting by position,"  looking for future linemen, receivers and quarterback candidates?  Of course they are.

Well, I will say this.   If nothing else has come of our new 1A Champion this year when looking at various social media platforms (including the GID on multiple occasions), it has confirmed to me that Americans no longer know or, apparently, care how to spell.

It is “Covenant”....C...O...V...E...N...A...N...T.

Geez people.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Well, I will say this.   If nothing else has come of our new 1A Champion this year when looking at various social media platforms (including the GID on multiple occasions), it has confirmed to me that Americans no longer know or, apparently, care how to spell.

It is “Covenant”....C...O...V...E...N...A...N...T.

Geez people.

Got it.  My bad.  Lazy Monday

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

No problem...you are far from the only one...

I get annoyed by it too.  The single biggest language fubar on this website over my 17 years here is the forum's inability to distinguish the difference between "dominate" and "dominant"  I want to rip somebodys throat out whenever I see this used incorrectly.  

7 minutes ago, DT said:

Is there anything in place that can prevent them from doing so?

Whenever the CC staff is at CYO events, are they not "recruiting by position,"  looking for future linemen, receivers and quarterback candidates?  Of course they are.

I don't think they are recruiting...you spelled it out in your post...they are in a perfect location to attract impact kids.  The head coaching turnover the last few years have impacted that if they wanted to go out and recruit

9 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

My view who cares when pp wins a championship? They have no community, little media support, and no one remembers because it happens so frequently. 

No one remembers it yet we devote 20-30 threads a year right around the state finals rehashing the same unoriginal material year after year? Got it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

My view who cares when pp wins a championship? They have no community, little media support, and no one remembers because it happens so frequently. 

Huh? P/P's have more of a community feel than most public schools while also bringing huge crowds to sporting events. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Huh? P/P's have more of a community feel than most public schools while also bringing huge crowds to sporting events. 

His school is 5 minutes from Bishop Noll.  

Hence the comments

1 hour ago, DT said:

This whole notion that a rural county school is somehow benefitting significantly from open enrollment is a true revelation to me.  Do we really think this is occuring?  Are small rural county schools like South Adams becoming football magnets for any kid with a little pigskin talent in a 50 mile radius of the high school? 

Thanks DT, that was the second good laugh I've had today. 

Edited by BTF
correction

38 minutes ago, BigBH said:

I don't think they are recruiting...you spelled it out in your post...they are in a perfect location to attract impact kids.  The head coaching turnover the last few years have impacted that if they wanted to go out and recruit

I'd wonder how success they'd be "recruiting" at CYOs?  If you're at a CYO and going to a private school, you are likely considering Chatard, Guerin, Roncalli, and even though they aren't technically archdiocese schools, Brebeuf and Cathedral.

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I'd wonder how success they'd be "recruiting" at CYOs?  If you're at a CYO and going to a private school, you are likely considering Chatard, Guerin, Roncalli, and even though they aren't technically archdiocese schools, Brebeuf and Cathedral.

But they are all in the Circle City Conference, except CHS

12 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I personally have walked through CC front doors many times, and have known several people there in the past and currently including students.  They are not actively recruiting for football.....as been said they are in great location to pick up kids that can change the 1A landscape.  Can they do it every year?  I don't think so...heck Brownsburg recruits harder than CC.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

But they are all in the Circle City Conference, except CHS

True, but being Catholic, you know that Catholics tend to gravitate to Catholic schools when given the option between Christian schools and Catholic schools ... when there's an all-in situation.  I'd suspect that more of what you might be seeing from CC coaches in the stands is scouting rather than recruiting.

4 minutes ago, BigBH said:

I personally have walked through CC front doors many times, and have known several people there in the past and currently including students.  They are not actively recruiting for football.....as been said they are in great location to pick up kids that can change the 1A landscape.  Can they do it every year?  I don't think so...heck Brownsburg recruits harder than CC.

Dude, you are on fire today.

4 minutes ago, BigBH said:

That's why I put recruiting in quotes.  I know that they aren't even if others think they might be.  Like I said, even if they were, Catholics would be a hard crowd to get them to pay tuition for a non-Catholic education if there's a Catholic option in play.  Matter of fact, public schools have more success recruiting Catholics than non-Catholic PPs probably do.

There is a 1A school in South Bend that will be a full IHSAA member next year. My wife was in the original first class and I taught there one year.

almost 100% of students gets scholarships (yes more than 1) to attend college.  Notre Dame gets it share, but they are from around the country.  A friend of mine just found out that her son has a full 4 year ride to Boston College, and his brother got a 4 year ride to Lewis and Clark in Portland.

Just think if you can make a basket or kick a soccer ball added to that, you can't tell me that would be a feeding ground for athletes in the area.

They are considering adding rugby to the mix.

Who know what might happen.

Oh by the way, they are a Christian school that is about 75% Catholic.