Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Covenent Christian - Time for a Reality Check

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Patriot 74 said:

(Chatard) to field a team of 107 players (Max Preps stat)            Obviously you missed this piece of info, that I actually used Max Preps as a source!!!  

Chatard’s varsity roster is online and easy to find.  MaxPreps is wrong...which most anyone making an effort towards being intellectually honest here already knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

What about 2017?  Only two PP out of the whole group and they played each other in 3A.

Also, you should rerun numbers from 2013 at the earliest because that's the first year of SF.  2010, 2011, and 2012 cloud the picture.  Once you add in SF, the numbers drop down.  I have a spreadsheet on that that I posted in another thread, but it's on a different computer.  Will try to track it downn when I get home.

Here's the spreadsheet with PP participation and wins at LOS since SF started:

pp wins sf.png

• Like 1

Going to chime in quickly......again, I have the same amount of teaching/coaching experience on both sides of this issue. While the makeup of a school’s population is a factor, the real difference is not necessarily the kids that are IN the buildings, but the kids that are NOT in the buildings....and to clarify, I mean the types of kids that are NOT in non public schools. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

Here's the spreadsheet with PP participation and wins at LOS since SF started:

pp wins sf.png

Slight update.  In 2015 and 2016, while Cathedral was bumped up to 6A, no PP was bumped up to 5A to occupy the space that Cathedral had held due to Success Factor.  As such, even though the IHSAA had expanded to six classes, PPs have never been in more than five classes in any season.  The numbers below reflect that.

image.png.34ddef546555e7bca15fc11e030f232f.png

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

Chatard’s varsity roster is online and easy to find.  MaxPreps is wrong...which most anyone making an effort towards being intellectually honest here already knows. 

Chatard had very few if any two way players in the championship game...that impossible for any other 3A team in the state.

16 hours ago, Lysander said:

Max Preps is on the internet so it has to be true................and honest.

7 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Max Preps is on the internet so it has to be true................and honest.

TPCS "won" their game over Clinton Prairie when CP withdrew due to COVID.  The next week, LCC "won" their game when TPCS withdrew due to COVID.

image.png.6047ad635dd9d1b645cc0d29da053cc0.png

21 minutes ago, foxbat said:

TPCS "won" their game over Clinton Prairie when CP withdrew due to COVID.  The next week, LCC "won" their game when TPCS withdrew due to COVID.

image.png.6047ad635dd9d1b645cc0d29da053cc0.png

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Helluva defensive effort by both teams if you ask me...

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Looks like LCC took TPCS to penalty kicks. 😀

Both games should have been 2-0 win. All Forfeits are considered a 2-0 victory over the forfeiting team.

5 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Both games should have been 2-0 win. All Forfeits are considered a 2-0 victory over the forfeiting team.

Yep.

And may also be considered a HOME win even if the team was the visitor.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, Patriot 74 said:

Simple solution.  Add a class to the IHSAA, 7A is nothing but PP schools and let them duke it out!!  See problem solved!  It's that simple.

Go through the list of good programs in 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A and put them in 7A.  I get it.  

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Go through the list of good programs in 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A and put them in 7A.  I get it.  

Well to start that is the solution. Then after 2 years when the 50 roster team hits a Public 81 roster team, those teams have to be moved to 8A. Then we will keep adding them until said 50 roster team wins State, then we can stop. (full on sarcasm)

On 12/7/2020 at 12:13 PM, DT said:

I find it hard to believe that anybody could justify the idea that Covenent and all other 1A PPs are competing on a level playing field..

Its just pure nonsense.

Lets look at a little history.

Larry McWhorter, a state championship winning Hall of Fame Coach at Zionsville, left his post at ZHS to start , develop and build the Covenent program into a 1A powerhouse.  He didnt just randomly select Covenent for this project.  The school is located in prime high school football territory just a few blocks down from Ben Davis High School.  Its understood that the Covenent roster is stocked with kids from throughout the city of Indianapolis as well as the athlete rich donut suburban communities.

Is it fair to assume that Covenent has done some marketing and advertising to promote this new program over the years?  Thats all within the rules.

Is it also fair to assume that to a certain extent, CC is able to hand pick its roster and look for specific talent to fill areas of need on the roster?  With all those people resources so close by, it should nt be too dificult to find a left guard or a SAM LB if those are pressing roster needs.

This whole notion that a rural county school is somehow benefitting significantly from open enrollment is a true revelation to me.  Do we really think this is occuring?  Are small rural county schools like South Adams becoming football magnets for any kid with a little pigskin talent in a 50 mile radius of the high school?  If indeed this is truly happening in 1A public football, then it must pale in comparison to the football magnet that CC wields in central suburban Indy.

Bottom line, kudos to CC.  They hatched a plan, developed a program, and achieved a major milestone in a very short period of time.  But lets not pretend that this is the norm, or anything even remotely close to it.   The CC story is the poster child for why no PP should ever compete at the 1A level, regardless of enrollment.  

I heard the CC rb was a Warren Central transfer.  SA also gets 6A trasfers all the time from Snider so it is very similar 🙂