Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Covenent Christian - Time for a Reality Check

Guest DT

On 12/11/2020 at 8:43 AM, Thor77 said:

As far as shifty and speed, never seen that before in high school. I don’t have too much history watching a lot of IN high school football, but Wilson’s the best I’ve seen. Which is annoying, I’ve seen people post to “get better” when that’s something that absolutely cannot just get better at. Yes, I’m sure Wilson works hard, but a lot of that is God given ability that doesn’t pop up much out in the cornfields. 

most of your post disqualify you from being taken seriously....Wilson is good but hes not Barry Sanders.  Its 1A football...you might do a little research...Indiana has produced hundreds of shifty and speedy backs...he chose to attend CC and beat your ass...live with it.

• Like 2

Parent of a CC student/player here. Been lurking for a while and the OP doesn't know what he's talking about. Not at all at least as far as CCHS is concerned. 
I can tell you without hesitation, CC does zero recruiting for football or any other sport. Micah transferred to CC when Howe closed and we talked him into playing football. CC is not an athletics driven school - it's focused primarily on The Arts. 
Last season we were 6-5 with basically the same nucleus of players. Sure we added Micah and another kid from Brownsburg who didn't play until November because of transfer rules. But the core of this team started last year.
We had an amazing season because we had a ton of seniors and a ton of excellent sophomores - most of whom came from our feeder school in Avon - another private school. I can tell you for sure there is no recruiting for football or any other sport happening. We don't have those resources. My son didn't even play football until 8th grade and he's in that sophomore class. Started all year, and last year when we had a lot of freshman. Next year will be a lot of rebuilding. CC should be good, but not like this year. Two years from now, though, we will be as good or maybe better than we were this year. All without one ounce of recruiting. Our coaches barely get paid. I'm telling you no one is being recruited to fill spots or anything like that. The whole program is supported by the parents as my bank account can attest. If you've ever physically been to the school you'd know this to be true. 

Our coach was fired because he was a running the team off and was about to lose the team after the Washington game. Our entire Sr. class was ready to walk over his inability to connect with the team. He demanded rather than earned trust and that just doesn't work for this generation. Our AD at the time let him go to save the season and possibly the program. That decision made everything possible. Coach Lyons did an exceptional job stepping in and the rest of the coaching staff were finally free to actually coach the boys. It all worked out. 

The state game was one of the best football games I've ever watched. I've watched it about 10 times now and I'm still amazed. Our team never quit - neither did SA. Those boys and coaches were an excellent group and a great team. We have nothing but respect for them. We won because we outlasted SA in an exhausting game....and they just couldn't stop Micah with our stellar O-line. That O-line is almost 100% back next year and will be very tough. Will be fun to see how our non-recruited players respond next year after graduating 12 seniors. 
Just wanted to set the record straight.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PJC said:

Parent of a CC student/player here. Been lurking for a while and the OP doesn't know what he's talking about. Not at all at least as far as CCHS is concerned. 
I can tell you without hesitation, CC does zero recruiting for football or any other sport. Micah transferred to CC when Howe closed and we talked him into playing football. CC is not an athletics driven school - it's focused primarily on The Arts. 
Last season we were 6-5 with basically the same nucleus of players. Sure we added Micah and another kid from Brownsburg who didn't play until November because of transfer rules. But the core of this team started last year.
We had an amazing season because we had a ton of seniors and a ton of excellent sophomores - most of whom came from our feeder school in Avon - another private school. I can tell you for sure there is no recruiting for football or any other sport happening. We don't have those resources. My son didn't even play football until 8th grade and he's in that sophomore class. Started all year, and last year when we had a lot of freshman. Next year will be a lot of rebuilding. CC should be good, but not like this year. Two years from now, though, we will be as good or maybe better than we were this year. All without one ounce of recruiting. Our coaches barely get paid. I'm telling you no one is being recruited to fill spots or anything like that. The whole program is supported by the parents as my bank account can attest. If you've ever physically been to the school you'd know this to be true. 

Our coach was fired because he was a running the team off and was about to lose the team after the Washington game. Our entire Sr. class was ready to walk over his inability to connect with the team. He demanded rather than earned trust and that just doesn't work for this generation. Our AD at the time let him go to save the season and possibly the program. That decision made everything possible. Coach Lyons did an exceptional job stepping in and the rest of the coaching staff were finally free to actually coach the boys. It all worked out. 

The state game was one of the best football games I've ever watched. I've watched it about 10 times now and I'm still amazed. Our team never quit - neither did SA. Those boys and coaches were an excellent group and a great team. We have nothing but respect for them. We won because we outlasted SA in an exhausting game....and they just couldn't stop Micah with our stellar O-line. That O-line is almost 100% back next year and will be very tough. Will be fun to see how our non-recruited players respond next year after graduating 12 seniors. 

it doesn't matter to me since I can't relate to 1A football ,but he is correct CC doesn't recruit.  They do sit in sweet spot geographically to attract kids that can pay 12k or take advantage of the voucher program.  Not sure I wouldn't call Kingsway a feeder school for football.  Its a neat little school that a kid will get a top notch education.  The state title will provide exposure that may pull good athletes from Hendricks and BD as it should.

19 hours ago, PJC said:

Ive never quite understood why PP parents and supporters push back so hard on the recruiting issue.

Let me say for the record, recruiting is NOT against the rules.  In fact, it is inherently encouraged.  Schools who charge tuition have every right to market and promote their product as a means to attract students, either from public schools or from other PPs.  Some PPs are more aggressive at the practice than others, and some do it in a very public manner while others are more discreet.  

But bottom line, recruiting is legitimate and fair and within the guidelines of high school athletics.  There are no rules or regulations controlling the practice.  

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Ive never quite understood why PP parents and supporters push back so hard on the recruiting issue.

Let me say for the record, recruiting is NOT against the rules.  In fact, it is inherently encouraged.  Schools who charge tuition have every right to market and promote their product as a means to attract students, either from public schools or from other PPs.  Some PPs are more aggressive at the practice than others, and some do it in a very public manner while others are more discreet.  

But bottom line, recruiting is legitimate and fair and within the guidelines of high school athletics.  There are no rules or regulations controlling the practice.  

Spot on. The IHSAA’s bylaws never mention recruiting. They talk only about “undue influence.”

17 minutes ago, DT said:

I think the "recruiting" talk is crap/BS.   It's 2020...the private Catholic schools are what they are....expensive, a bitch of a drive for a kid to attend summer/spring/fall football commitments if they live 20 plus miles away...anybody on this board drive to Cathedral, Chatard or Roncalli during rush hour traffic?  There are a lot good football players with parents that can afford to pay for it

19 hours ago, DT said:

OK but the whole point of this thread is CC doesn't belong because they do the detestable practice of recruiting. Except that they don't. So your thread is inaccurate. I mean the title of the thread itself calls out CCHS for something they don't do. I don't actually care one way or the other about recruiting or not recruiting, but you've called out CCHS on this thread and a couple others for doing this - whether the practice should be allowed or not is irrelevant to my post. So I'm not pushing back on recruiting - I don't really care about it - I'm pushing back on your inaccurate example of CCHS to support your point. It doesn't work. Find another school.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PJC said:

OK but the whole point of this thread is CC doesn't belong because they do the detestable practice of recruiting. Except that they don't. So your thread is inaccurate. I mean the title of the thread itself calls out CCHS for something they don't do. I don't actually care one way or the other about recruiting or not recruiting, but you've called out CCHS on this thread and a couple others for doing this - whether the practice should be allowed or not is irrelevant to my post. So I'm not pushing back on recruiting - I don't really care about it - I'm pushing back on your inaccurate example of CCHS to support your point. It doesn't work. Find another school.

CC did something that no public school can do.

It decided to start a football program from scratch, zero, nothing, and in 5 years won a state championship.  CC does not need to recruit in the traditional sense, its mere existence is a recruuting tool for families who are looking for a different type of educational/athletic experience for their children. And the fact that those student athletes are drawn to the institution from a very broad area give it a huge avdanatage over a boundaried public school.

CC is really just a smaller version of Cathedral.  Both are PP football magnets.  One Catholic, one Christian.  One big, one small.  

8 minutes ago, DT said:

It decided to start a football program from scratch, zero, nothing, and in 5 years won a state championship.  CC does not need to recruit in the traditional sense, its mere existence is a recruuting tool for families who are looking for a different type of educational/athletic experience for their children. And the fact that those student athletes are drawn to the institution from a very broad area give it a huge avdanatage over a boundaried public school.

CC is really just a smaller version of Cathedral.  Both are PP football magnets.  One Catholic, one Christian.  One big, one small.  

But Cathedral has also won championships in basketball and baseball.  Until CC wins basketball and baseball championships, all this is bogus.  And CC is no Trinity at Greenlawn .

8 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

But Cathedral has also won championships in basketball and baseball.  Until CC wins basketball and baseball championships, all this is bogus.  And CC is no Trinity at Greenlawn .

If CC decides it wants to be a state power in other sports, it has all the tools it needs to proceed in that direction.  Cathedral has been around for 100 years.  CC just getting started.

18 minutes ago, DT said:

If CC decides it wants to be a state power in other sports, it has all the tools it needs to proceed in that direction.  Cathedral has been around for 100 years.  CC just getting started.

Let’s wait and see.  You make some valid points and I believe they have some merit in the ball sports but I drove past CC a dozen times without even noticing it was a school.

Whether actively or not, I can see them “pulling in” talent cast away from some of the central Indiana mega schools but 2021 will tell us if it’s a trend.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Loop Trump GIF

Wrong...see Fishers High School under coach Wimmer

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, temptation said:

Let’s wait and see.  You make some valid points and I believe they have some merit in the ball sports but I drove past CC a dozen times without even noticing it was a school.

Whether actively or not, I can see them “pulling in” talent cast away from some of the central Indiana mega schools but 2021 will tell us if it’s a trend.

spot on....one magical season doesn't make the next dynasty.....its a tiny school with no cafeteria, average weight room at best and always pinching pennies.  They lose the heart and soul of the football team #17...he's now playing basketball for his dad and probably has skin burns all over his knees and elbows. 

25 minutes ago, BigBH said:

spot on....one magical season doesn't make the next dynasty.....its a tiny school with no cafeteria, average weight room at best and always pinching pennies.  They lose the heart and soul of the football team #17...he's now playing basketball for his dad and probably has skin burns all over his knees and elbows. 

I’m actually happy for them.  Let’s remember they’re just kids...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I’m actually happy for them.  Let’s remember they’re just kids...

Agreed....I see you are close to Rensselaer.....obviously not a private christian school, but a few years ago they had that magical run similar to CC...they have been good since but not state title material....and maybe never again. 

32 minutes ago, BigBH said:

Agreed....I see you are close to Rensselaer.....obviously not a private christian school, but a few years ago they had that magical run similar to CC...they have been good since but not state title material....and maybe never again. 

They may become 1A’s next Central Catholic or Pioneer, who knows?  That’s why they play the game.  BTW, I’ve been to Rensselaer more times than I can count.

18 minutes ago, Gipper said:

They may become 1A’s next Central Catholic or Pioneer, who knows?  That’s why they play the game.  BTW, I’ve been to Rensselaer more times than I can count.

me too....I'm connected to Rensselaer football royalty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PJC said:

word

20 minutes ago, DT said:

Good point, which hilites how rare this accomplishment truly is

Then why try to knock it down or lessen it or cheapen it if it is so rare?  Folks seem really excited about playing "The Monsters Are On Maple Street." 

I believe that, in 1A, there are only three programs to have made four visits to state championships in a five-year period.

• Sheridan
  • LCC
  • Pioneer

If CC gets to that level, then by all means, let's hand out the pitchfork and torches, but until then how about we take a bit of a breather and realize just how rare the accomplishment is and how much it should be celebrated across the board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1