Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

One Year In - Did Mishawaka make the right move in jump to NLC?

Guest DT

5 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Mishawaka is an excellent fit for the NLC.  They will be competitive in most sports.  They are a one high school corporation.  They have an exclusive radio contract with WSBT.  Plus, they are always looking to improve their facilities.

The NIC is down to one original school again.

Great points.  Football, although important, should not be the only determining factor in conference affiliation.  With that, the NLC is a pretty tough league in all sports.  Maybe just as good if not better than the NIC.

My Dad, a long time School City educator and Caveman fan of all sports said back in the 90's, "the best thing the NIC should do is disband and re-form without Penn in it."  At that time as you can remember, Penn was on that streak of not losing in football to the NIC schools. He was getting tired of hearing all about Penn Penn Penn.  LOL Well, my theory to him was "get better or get used to it," even though I somewhat secretly agreed.   Mishawaka's move to the NLC was good based on future revenues (post-Covid of course).  I think as an earlier poster mentioned, how much does anybody know about the SB schools and their future?  When the NIC grew to its newest configuration, all of the schools were smaller than MHS. Most NLC schools travel well. Some NIC schools travel well. Not enough though.   Football revenue has to be better with larger schools coming to Steele Stadium.  I would think the home basketball gates of NLC schools coming to MHS for a game are better as well.  Please do not view this as a negative post about the smaller schools in the NIC and their fan base. Some of those schools have rabid (in a good way) fan bases. Athletically,  Jimtown wrestling can match up with MHS and Penn. Marian matches up in FB and BB among other sports. St Joe Soccer? SB Adams BB/SB Riley BB?   My thinking is due to more revenue being generated by a larger visiting fan base.  It would be interesting to find an old article when the move was being considered and then finalized what the reasoning School City of Mish had for the move. I just don't remember what the discussion was at the time.   It would also be interesting to see the breakdown of ticket/concessions revenue after the move compared to previous NIC scheduling.   Of course it could not be done this year due to Covid restrictions for seating capacity.  😞  Am I crazy thinking this was about revenue as much as about competition?  

2 hours ago, gbjemler said:

My Dad, a long time School City educator and Caveman fan of all sports said back in the 90's, "the best thing the NIC should do is disband and re-form without Penn in it."  At that time as you can remember, Penn was on that streak of not losing in football to the NIC schools. He was getting tired of hearing all about Penn Penn Penn.  LOL Well, my theory to him was "get better or get used to it," even though I somewhat secretly agreed.   Mishawaka's move to the NLC was good based on future revenues (post-Covid of course).  I think as an earlier poster mentioned, how much does anybody know about the SB schools and their future?  When the NIC grew to its newest configuration, all of the schools were smaller than MHS. Most NLC schools travel well. Some NIC schools travel well. Not enough though.   Football revenue has to be better with larger schools coming to Steele Stadium.  I would think the home basketball gates of NLC schools coming to MHS for a game are better as well.  Please do not view this as a negative post about the smaller schools in the NIC and their fan base. Some of those schools have rabid (in a good way) fan bases. Athletically,  Jimtown wrestling can match up with MHS and Penn. Marian matches up in FB and BB among other sports. St Joe Soccer? SB Adams BB/SB Riley BB?   My thinking is due to more revenue being generated by a larger visiting fan base.  It would be interesting to find an old article when the move was being considered and then finalized what the reasoning School City of Mish had for the move. I just don't remember what the discussion was at the time.   It would also be interesting to see the breakdown of ticket/concessions revenue after the move compared to previous NIC scheduling.   Of course it could not be done this year due to Covid restrictions for seating capacity.  😞  Am I crazy thinking this was about revenue as much as about competition?  

Excellent post.  In terms of football only, I don't know how the other schools traveled, I know South Bend schools usually don't travel well.  I also know other teams don't travel well to South Bend, except Penn.  For basketball, South Bend schools traveled well within South Bend and probably Mishawaka, but not anywhere else (Maybe to Michigan City).  Didn't get a lot of travel from out of town teams.

Mishawaka will thrive in the NLC.  The future of the NIC is for another thread.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, XStar said:

Haha.  The single-gif reply.  That's when you just can't admit you were wrong.  

Not at all. It's when I realize I'm having a conversation with an extremely dense human being and do not feel like wasting my time anymore. The fact you provided is a fact, however it has no weight into the arguement of whether or not the Penn program is in a downward trend. I've provided my argument on the matter and feel as though it is extremely valid and see no point in continuing. I am not wrong that the fact Penn has not beaten Marian since 2013 means their program is down. They may be down, but going 0-1 against Marian in the 7 seasons since that year means absolutely nothing toward that discussion. Move along troll.

6 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Not at all. It's when I realize I'm having a conversation with an extremely dense human being and do not feel like wasting my time anymore. The fact you provided is a fact, however it has no weight into the arguement of whether or not the Penn program is in a downward trend. I've provided my argument on the matter and feel as though it is extremely valid and see no point in continuing. I am not wrong that the fact Penn has not beaten Marian since 2013 means their program is down. They may be down, but going 0-1 against Marian in the 7 seasons since that year means absolutely nothing toward that discussion. Move along troll.

Having a losing record to a smaller program they should never lose to over any period of time absolutely is an indicator.  Just because you don't like how the fact was presented does not change a thing regarding it's validity or it's relevancy.  When you use the word "troll", you should be looking in the mirror kid.  

11 hours ago, Crusty said:

Are you two children about done??

LOL.

Really excited for Mishawaka programs getting out of the NIC. It's a great move for them. All upside in my opinion. 

Didn't realize my comments about Penn would spark something like that off. I was trying to engage with @Gindie, since there don't seem to be many Penn folks around here, on their comment earlier in the thread about DAC being too far for Penn to travel since they do a lot of travel for competition in most of their sports now. Sorry for that. 

17 hours ago, XStar said:

Having a losing record to a smaller program they should never lose to over any period of time absolutely is an indicator.  Just because you don't like how the fact was presented does not change a thing regarding it's validity or it's relevancy.  When you use the word "troll", you should be looking in the mirror kid.  

It truly must be exhausting to go through life with such limited brain cells. I pity you. It's how you stated the fact that makes it irelevant. Saying they haven't beat Marian since 2013 is truly idiotic considering they have only played one time in that time span. The fact that they haven't beaten them since 2013 means nothing. It could have been 2017, it could have been 1997, but if they only played one time during any period of time, it is a fact that does not give much credence to your argument. Does the fact that Ohio State hasn't beaten Purdue since 2013 meant the Buckeyes are on a downward trend? It's a year off from the exact time period you are trying to use here, but it is a fact that is irrelevant to the current status of Ohio State's program. Now, if you had stated your fact that they lost to Marian for the first time since (ever?), THAT would have more weight. But claiming they have not beaten them in seven season, when they have only played once during that time frame is not a good supporting fact to your arguement. However, I understand at this point I'm talking to quite possibly the densest human being in the planet and it does not matter. Have a Merry Christmas, you deserve coal in your stocking.

Thats Me Merry Christmas GIF by Freeform

12 hours ago, Crusty said:

Are you two children about done??

Over and out. Glad to have the Cavemen in the NLC! I think they are an excellent fit and addition to the conference, especially football. It will be interesting to see how other sports incorporate to the conference.

9 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

It truly must be exhausting to go through life with such limited brain cells. I pity you. It's how you stated the fact that makes it irelevant. Saying they haven't beat Marian since 2013 is truly idiotic considering they have only played one time in that time span. The fact that they haven't beaten them since 2013 means nothing. It could have been 2017, it could have been 1997, but if they only played one time during any period of time, it is a fact that does not give much credence to your argument. Does the fact that Ohio State hasn't beaten Purdue since 2013 meant the Buckeyes are on a downward trend? It's a year off from the exact time period you are trying to use here, but it is a fact that is irrelevant to the current status of Ohio State's program. Now, if you had stated your fact that they lost to Marian for the first time since (ever?), THAT would have more weight. But claiming they have not beaten them in seven season, when they have only played once during that time frame is not a good supporting fact to your arguement. However, I understand at this point I'm talking to quite possibly the densest human being in the planet and it does not matter. Have a Merry Christmas, you deserve coal in your stocking.

Thats Me Merry Christmas GIF by Freeform

Over and out. Glad to have the Cavemen in the NLC! I think they are an excellent fit and addition to the conference, especially football. It will be interesting to see how other sports incorporate to the conference.

Lame.  If you were only half as bright as you thought......