Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jayson West leaves Warren Central

1 hour ago, temptation said:

None of the above in my opinion.  @Coach Nowlin, may I give my prediction?

In your humble opinion, with no accusation of having any knowledge his motives, why do you pass on Ralph? Personally, I would have guessed this would be the type of job he would leave New Pal for. Unless, pure speculation, he's waiting for the right opportunity to go home to the Greater Catholic League South. 

I get your theories on free and reduced lunches (which holds a lot of water), but it's Warren. Yeah, there's SOME rough parts in their district, but it's still a mostly middle class suburban setting with kids committed to football and an enrollment that pretty much guarantees football talent. I couldn't imagine it being that bad to handle. 

All the MIC schools are the New IPS. When Broad Ripple, Northwest, Arlington, etc shuttered, all their students sprawled to edges of Marion County. Regardless of their size, these MIC schools are going to struggle. The patience level you need for a successful program at these schools is much to handle for coaches wanting a “destination”. 

I watched one of the most successful coaches in Indiana Wrestling, Jim Tonte, leave a 15 year Perry Meridian legacy to go to Warren, get a sizable pay raise, win a state title, and then vacate the role for Franklin in under 4 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

In your humble opinion, with no accusation of having any knowledge his motives, why do you pass on Ralph? Personally, I would have guessed this would be the type of job he would leave New Pal for. Unless, pure speculation, he's waiting for the right opportunity to go home to the Greater Catholic League South. 

I get your theories on free and reduced lunches (which holds a lot of water), but it's Warren. Yeah, there's SOME rough parts in their district, but it's still a mostly middle class suburban setting with kids committed to football and an enrollment that pretty much guarantees football talent. I couldn't imagine it being that bad to handle. 

Unfortunately for schools like BD and WC, if you dont reach the semi state, your season is considered a failure.  That is a huge standard to have to live up to every year, and can wear down a staff over time.  We tend to pick on the biggest and most successful programs here on The GID.  It comes with the territory.  In The Region, Lake Central is beaten down mercilessly because they are the biggest school in the area and they play like a 3A program.  Penn is taking their shots due to poor performance.  

Add in the fact that Center Grove and Carmel are now collectively program wise at a higher level than BD and WC, and the task becomes even tougher.  Tom Allen probably couldnt get out of their quick enough.  

I think we will see a black head coach take over at Warren.  The time is right and the expectations will not be sky high as if an established successful coach were coming in to take over.

7 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

All the MIC schools are the New IPS. When Broad Ripple, Northwest, Arlington, etc shuttered, all their students sprawled to edges of Marion County. Regardless of their size, these MIC schools are going to struggle. The patience level you need for a successful program at these schools is much to handle for coaches wanting a “destination”. 

I watched one of the most successful coaches in Indiana Wrestling, Jim Tonte, leave a 15 year Perry Meridian legacy to go to Warren, get a sizable pay raise, win a state title, and then vacate the role for Franklin in under 4 years. 

This.

I believe the Warren Central AD (once they get one since I believe Mr. West was also the AD) should set his sights on a young up-and-comer for the job.  Young Mr. Colby at Kokomo would be a perfect choice.  He could bring along his father, hall of fame caliber coach Brett Colby, as an assistant.

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I believe the Warren Central AD (once they get one since I believe Mr. West was also the AD) should set his sights on a young up-and-comer for the job.  Young Mr. Colby at Kokomo would be a perfect choice.  He could bring along his father, hall of fame caliber coach Brett Colby, as an assistant.

From Kyle N.'s article, he stated that Coach West was the Assistant AD.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Obvious coaches for WC job:

1) Kyle Ralph - You all know why.  BUT, I think now is a great time for Ralph to move on.  I'm sure he could bring most of his assistants with him as well since both schools are close geographically...

2) Mike Kirschner - WC alum and maybe he misses the "grind"

Not so obvious:

3) Justin Pelley (Webo) - he can clearly coach ball with 3 state championships.  Does he want a taste of the MIC

4) Darrin Fisher (Whiteland) - he could really run his offense at a place like WC

5) Nick Hart (Gibson Southern) - 9th year at GS and seems like a guy WC could have for 10+ years

Dark Horse- Derek Moyers (Old Pike HC) who has been Plainfield's OC and QB coach the past few seasons. 

11 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Obvious coaches for WC job:

1) Kyle Ralph - You all know why.  BUT, I think now is a great time for Ralph to move on.  I'm sure he could bring most of his assistants with him as well since both schools are close geographically...

2) Mike Kirschner - WC alum and maybe he misses the "grind"

Not so obvious:

3) Justin Pelley (Webo) - he can clearly coach ball with 3 state championships.  Does he want a taste of the MIC

4) Darrin Fisher (Whiteland) - he could really run his offense at a place like WC

5) Nick Hart (Gibson Southern) - 9th year at GS and seems like a guy WC could have for 10+ years

Most of Kyle Ralph's assistants are not teachers so I am not sure about bringing them with. However, I do think if he wants it it would be his. I do not see Kirschner trying for it. Pelley no way. Fisher is a great coach, but I don't see him going for it. Nick Hart maybe, but the rumor is that he will take over at Brownsburg in a couple of years.

I see Warren hiring an assistant within the program. Russ Mann potentially. I also could see Pat Mallory from LN going for the job or maybe a coordinator from Center Grove. CG coaches have been very loyal at CG and seem to be content with staying there so that may be a bit of a stretch. 

You could also make a case for Scott Turnquist from Zionsville. in 2 years he won a 6A sectional for Ziosnville and then a 5A state runner up. Used to be the OC at Carmel so maybe he would want to get back into the MIC.

1 minute ago, Indiana Fan said:

Most of Kyle Ralph's assistants are not teachers so I am not sure about bringing them with. However, I do think if he wants it it would be his. I do not see Kirschner trying for it. Pelley no way. Fisher is a great coach, but I don't see him going for it. Nick Hart maybe, but the rumor is that he will take over at Brownsburg in a couple of years.

I see Warren hiring an assistant within the program. Russ Mann potentially. I also could see Pat Mallory from LN going for the job or maybe a coordinator from Center Grove. CG coaches have been very loyal at CG and seem to be content with staying there so that may be a bit of a stretch. 

You could also make a case for Scott Turnquist from Zionsville. in 2 years he won a 6A sectional for Ziosnville and then a 5A state runner up. Used to be the OC at Carmel so maybe he would want to get back into the MIC.

Once again, with the changing demographics in and around central Indiana and viewing things LONG TERM, is Warren a better job than Zionsville?  New Pal?  Whiteland?

Make no mistake, Warren is not going anywhere but two of those three are among the fastest growing areas anywhere in the state and "could" be the next Warren in 10-15 years.

I guess it comes down to win NOW versus win LATER...

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Once again, with the changing demographics in and around central Indiana and viewing things LONG TERM, is Warren a better job than Zionsville?  New Pal?  Whiteland?

Make no mistake, Warren is not going anywhere but two of those three are among the fastest growing areas anywhere in the state and "could" be the next Warren in 10-15 years.

I guess it comes down to win NOW versus win LATER...

I agree with you. I just know that Warren is appealing to any coach in Central Indiana. However, those other 3 are as well. 

10 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

O'Shea?  

11 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

So he ups and leaves while school is still going on?  I find that unconscionable.  Not living up to your teaching contract.  I don't get it.

Are you serious?  So a teacher is suppose to be loyal to the cause right?  In the business world people come and go all the time.  

1 minute ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

No. A person should live up to their obligations.  That's good business.

If he gets a better deal/job, it is a no brainer.  I would think you are on an island on this matter.  If you are a teacher, you should understand.  If you are not, it would be interesting to know your profession.

2 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

If he gets a better deal/job, it is a no brainer.  I would think you are on an island on this matter.  If you are a teacher, you should understand.  If you are not, it would be interesting to know your profession.

I am a retired Special Ed teacher and coach.  I never said he shouldn't go.  Just finish out what you signed up for.  I saw where he was assistant AD, that shouldn't effect the kids much.  A classroom teacher is another matter.

When I first started teaching, I had an experienced teacher tell me "Look out for yourself, because schools won't be loyal to you". As both a bystander and personal experience, I would say in general he was right. 

Back to on topic. Good for Coach West and FC. What a great hire! He's been a winner everywhere he's been. Hopefully, he'll be able to make FC a competitive program. 

17 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I am a retired Special Ed teacher and coach.  I never said he shouldn't go.  Just finish out what you signed up for.  I saw where he was assistant AD, that shouldn't effect the kids much.  A classroom teacher is another matter.

How many head coaches are actually "classroom teachers" (not talking strength/conditioning ) anyway?? With the increasing demands in the classroom, it's not really attainable.