Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jayson West leaves Warren Central

I would ask all of you to go to the Indiana Gateway if you are interested in how much your schools value head coaches by looking up these publicly funded salaries. I will also say, being from the region, we have known for years that whatever our coaches, teachers, administrators make in salary pales in comparison to the salaries they could make with a simple 5-10-20 or even 40 minute drive into Illinois to do the same job.

If a school district really wants to retain or bring in a high profile coach, they will find money at the highest pay rate and add in a bunch of strength and conditioning or extra curricular positions to jack up their coaching stipend. I would like to compare what the head coaches and ADs from our big schools make in each conference and from there you can tell how committed a district is to winning. I am willing to bet my kids lunch money that we have people if not close to, over 6 figures as head coaches. 

9 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

I would ask all of you to go to the Indiana Gateway if you are interested in how much your schools value head coaches by looking up these publicly funded salaries. I will also say, being from the region, we have known for years that whatever our coaches, teachers, administrators make in salary pales in comparison to the salaries they could make with a simple 5-10-20 or even 40 minute drive into Illinois to do the same job.

If a school district really wants to retain or bring in a high profile coach, they will find money at the highest pay rate and add in a bunch of strength and conditioning or extra curricular positions to jack up their coaching stipend. I would like to compare what the head coaches and ADs from our big schools make in each conference and from there you can tell how committed a district is to winning. I am willing to bet my kids lunch money that we have people if not close to, over 6 figures as head coaches. 

It's another example of the gap that exists from the mega schools to their competition.  I am not naive enough to think that 4A/5A/6A schools have coaches with loaded teaching schedules, but am also wise enough to see what goes on in most of these situations.

No fault of the coaches themselves...they are just capitalizing on the system that is in place.

2 hours ago, DACNUT said:

According to Gateway......which is accurate for myself personally.....

Avon, Westfield, Brownsburg all close to or above 6 figures......wow!  HSE and Fishers are first year coaches at their schools, so hard to get an accurate read on them based on Gateway takes into account the calendar year.  

22 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Is it possible that the endzone camera situation is markedly better at Franklin Central compared to what Coach West had available to work with at Warren Central? Maybe Franklin Central has a Hi-Pod X31.......

Why invest in a Hi-Pod X31 when you can have WTHR or another news station film practice from a helicopter! 😆 Some who have been around will get it (sorry WC fans was meant in fun).

2 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Moyers is at Plainfield, isn't he?

Yes, he would be a great candidate for the WC job though. He did well at Pike.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RetiredOfficial03 said:

According to Gateway......which is accurate for myself personally.....

Avon, Westfield, Brownsburg all close to or above 6 figures......wow!  HSE and Fishers are first year coaches at their schools, so hard to get an accurate read on them based on Gateway takes into account the calendar year.  

I just spit my drink out when I saw the “stipend” differences at Zionsville, Brownsburg and Avon considering what happened at the sectional last year and this past fall.

Well done Coach Turnquist.  Well done.

Edited by temptation

22 minutes ago, temptation said:

I just spit my drink out when I saw the “stipend” differences at Zionsville, Brownsburg and Avon considering what happened at the sectional last year and this past fall.

Well done Coach Turnquist.  Well done.

Same man, same. Had the exact same reaction when I saw the salaries at LN and LC. Not a huge return on investment it appears. 

Edited by MICFan34

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

He can adapt too.....He did not run that on the college level. 

Very true. A good coach adapts his and his coordinators' schemes to the players. We're long past the days of Cathedral/Jasper/Roncalli running I-formation tight with a flanker or Power I and just feeding a back or two 45+ times per game on power tosses. 

22 hours ago, temptation said:

What about made up/fictional positions that they magically find money for?

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when coaches used to actually TEACH 7 hours per day and high school athletics were viewed as "extracurriculars" and an extension of the learning process?

There are no made up positions. They all have to be listed somewhere in a job description and someone's teaching responsibilities and schedule are set by the district. You're suggesting some sort of "ghost employment" scenario which cannot happen by state law. So, you can hire a teacher and make them whatever you want, but that has to be an on the book position. Not sure what West's duties were at Warren, but he was listed as Assistant Athletic Director. That means he had a teacher's contract plus whatever stipend the AAD got and whatever the Head Football Coach got. I honestly don't know how "lay coaches" work.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:25 PM, Wedgebuster said:

What is the Teacher Appreciation Grant?  Is this less than a few years old? 

A fancy name for "Merit pay".

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

There are no made up positions. They all have to be listed somewhere in a job description and someone's teaching responsibilities and schedule are set by the district. You're suggesting some sort of "ghost employment" scenario which cannot happen by state law. So, you can hire a teacher and make them whatever you want, but that has to be an on the book position. Not sure what West's duties were at Warren, but he was listed as Assistant Athletic Director. That means he had a teacher's contract plus whatever stipend the AAD got and whatever the Head Football Coach got. I honestly don't know how "lay coaches" work.

Ah, I remember the days when I believed in unicorns too...

44 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Not necessarily.  At KVHS, we have a full time AD and a full time Assistant AD.  Neither have any teaching responsibilities.  IMSC, when both of those positions were posted a few years back, they were categorized as "Administrative".

But, your point is still valid.

• Disdain 1

those who may not know, when you look at GATEWAY, that takes in a account any single amount of money that school issued that employee for that year.   That is not just teaching/coaching contracts.  

Take me for example, any time I helped out Ref a middle school basketball game, that check got added to payroll, any other random supervision I got a 20 dollar check for, added on, etc etc.   

You do not know exactly know what these gateways that you are looking up are exactly from, you just see a number.  Just saying.  

12 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

those who may not know, when you look at GATEWAY, that takes in a account any single amount of money that school issued that employee for that year.   That is not just teaching/coaching contracts.  

Take me for example, any time I helped out referring a middle school basketball game, that check got added to payroll, any other random supervision I got a 20 dollar check for, added on, etc etc.   

You do not know exactly know what these gateways that you are looking up are exactly from, you just see a number.  Just saying.  

Good point and true......

Safe to assume its the "salary plus stipend" or their administratvie positions.....

However, thinking of Center Grove in particular.....the number looks low, but they have a heck of a touchdown club, and that money wouldn't be involved from the school per say. 

30 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Take me for example, any time I helped out Ref a middle school basketball game, that check got added to payroll, any other random supervision I got a 20 dollar check for, added on, etc etc.   

Not too bad Coach.

6 hours ago, DE said:

Not necessarily.  At KVHS, we have a full time AD and a full time Assistant AD.  Neither have any teaching responsibilities.  IMSC, when both of those positions were posted a few years back, they were categorized as "Administrative".

But, your point is still valid.

They can be administrator positions, that's true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

They can be administrator positions, that's true.

And the “need” for  “new” administrative positions seems to be growing in certain places it seems.

Some schools are willing to admit it, others think they are hiding it.  Just look at some of the job titles on the Gateway site.

BD4158FB-90A5-4503-BE7A-FD9DFF82D1A8.png

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, temptation said:

And the “need” for  “new” administrative positions seems to be growing in certain places it seems.

Some schools are willing to admit it, others think they are hiding it.  Just look at some of the job titles on the Gateway site.

BD4158FB-90A5-4503-BE7A-FD9DFF82D1A8.png

Cardale should have spent more time in English class. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I doubt anyone could compile all this data - but it'd be interesting to get a breakdown of the HC's in the MIC and other 6A teams (Brownsburg, Avon, etc...) and what position in the school system they actually hold. I'm assuming most would be some sort of "strength coach" ? Assistant AD's?? Would ANY be a "regular" classroom teacher?? 

59 minutes ago, jets said:

I doubt anyone could compile all this data - but it'd be interesting to get a breakdown of the HC's in the MIC and other 6A teams (Brownsburg, Avon, etc...) and what position in the school system they actually hold. I'm assuming most would be some sort of "strength coach" ? Assistant AD's?? Would ANY be a "regular" classroom teacher?? 

Are you saying strength coaches do not have teaching responsibilities because I would think that many would dispute that.

11 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Are you saying strength coaches do not have teaching responsibilities because I would think that many would dispute that.

Have many friends that are/were SC coaches.  They WORK.  All are the same.  LOL....jacked up on Mountain Dew or coffee.  HIGH intensity.