Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jayson West leaves Warren Central

3 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

I've seen it both ways for Math, Science, English, etc teachers also. 

No doubt.

2 hours ago, jets said:

I doubt anyone could compile all this data - but it'd be interesting to get a breakdown of the HC's in the MIC and other 6A teams (Brownsburg, Avon, etc...) and what position in the school system they actually hold. I'm assuming most would be some sort of "strength coach" ? Assistant AD's?? Would ANY be a "regular" classroom teacher?? 

Pretty easy project really.

Maybe 20-30 years ago coaches were core academic teachers, meaning they were teaching classes in which state or district mandated testing was in place. I am sure that most big school head coaches, especially in the DAC, have an assistant AD, Dean, student services, or strength and conditioning coach position in which they are tied to their football programs more than half the day. 

I can't imagine a social studies, science, math, or English teacher having the energy to teach 5-6 periods a day and run a program, which also includes over seeing a middle school program. 

Another item to consider if you are a head coach at a big school is how many of your coaches can come with you, how many teaching positions will the district create for you, and the level of cooperation from the youth football program you have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Are you saying strength coaches do not have teaching responsibilities because I would think that many would dispute that.

42 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

I've seen it both ways for Math, Science, English, etc teachers also. 

Ok ok ok - not trying to turn it into a discussion/argument about that. We all know examples of teachers just doing the "bare minimum" to get by. 

I know strength/PE teachers have their own challenges - but to act like it's the same as preparing daily lessons, assessments, grading, etc...as a core academic teacher is just ignorant. 

And that's not a criticism. I believe there is WAY too much on a head coaches plate to try and do both. I was just curious as to if there are any "big name" programs out there (6A) whose Head Coach does try and tackle an academic subject?? 

On 12/11/2020 at 7:29 AM, jets said:

I doubt anyone could compile all this data - but it'd be interesting to get a breakdown of the HC's in the MIC and other 6A teams (Brownsburg, Avon, etc...) and what position in the school system they actually hold. I'm assuming most would be some sort of "strength coach" ? Assistant AD's?? Would ANY be a "regular" classroom teacher?? 

Upon completion of some brief, informal research I have honored your request.  Some of the job titles are a bit dicey as they seem to have varying titles by district and I am not sure if that comes from the state level.

Protecting the individuals themselves, though you can easily do the same research on your own time, I can tell you that it appeared that "many" teachers have some sort of administration label to their job title but when cross checking the DOE website it gets a bit confusing.  

Knowing what I know about the top of the pay scale in many districts, it is also head scratching in that area but I will not speculate.

What I CAN tell you upon some research is that the "average" head coach in each of what most would consider the "Power 4" conferences made the following amount in 2019 (the last year data was published).

Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference:  $103k

Hoosier Crossroads Conference:  $82k

Duneland Athletic Conference:  $78k

Summit Athletic Conference:  $67k

One could make a case for the SIAC/Conference Indiana but I am sure they are comparable.

Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Upon completion of some brief, informal research I have honored your request.  Some of the job titles are a bit dicey as they seem to have varying titles by district and I am not sure if that comes from the state level.

Protecting the individuals themselves, though you can easily do the same research on your own time, I can tell you that it appeared that "many" teachers have some sort of administration label to their job title but when cross checking the DOE website it gets a bit confusing.  

Knowing what I know about the top of the pay scale in many districts, it is also head scratching in that area but I will not speculate.

What I CAN tell you upon some research is that the "average" head coach in each of what most would consider the "Power 4" conferences made the following amount in 2019 (the last year data was published).

Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference:  $103k

Hoosier Crossroads Conference:  $82k

Duneland Athletic Conference:  $78k

Summit Athletic Conference:  $67k

One could make a case for the SIAC/Conference Indiana but I am sure they are comparable.

Draw your own conclusions.

Interesting- thank you for putting the time/effort into such research. 

While pay scale #’s are interesting in their own right- my initial question/inquiry was do any of the “head coaches” of the POWER conferences (as you call them) still try and hold what we be labeled as an “actual classroom instructor?” I.e math, language arts, science - core subject types?? 

I know PE and Strenght have their own challenges- but I’m talking the daily rigor of lesson plans, assessments, grading, etc...

My intial premise/thought would be probably not as it would take too much time/energy to do both?? 

But I do not know the answer- nor do I know how to look up such info 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:07 PM, Irishman said:

A LOT of interesting names out there...and fun conversation...as @Coach Nowlin said, stay away from the hearsay. I agree with Temptation as far as the coaches in the donut around Marion County. I don’t see any of them moving. I am going to throw one name out there that has yet to come up, but has been a GREAT coach. Terry Peebles has plenty of experience on the college level and has done a great job with the Harrison program. 

Bite your tongue.  From a selfish perspective, I'd like to see how far he can take the program.  He's got a strong freshman class that played Westfield's freshman to a 28-21 loss.  Word on the street is that Westfield's stock is going to be improving in the coming years, so I think that bodes well for Harrison in comparison.  Lafayette area's already lost a good coach to the MIC when Kevin O'Shea left LCC for North Central.  I'd hate to see the area lose another good coach.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:11 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

those who may not know, when you look at GATEWAY, that takes in a account any single amount of money that school issued that employee for that year.   That is not just teaching/coaching contracts.  

Take me for example, any time I helped out Ref a middle school basketball game, that check got added to payroll, any other random supervision I got a 20 dollar check for, added on, etc etc.   

You do not know exactly know what these gateways that you are looking up are exactly from, you just see a number.  Just saying.  

Agreed.  This is similar to the numbers that you will see for all state university employees too when you look at the various databases.  Those include overload and extra grants, etc. and are also not likely recurring.  For example, there was one year where I taught a single overload in one semester, a double overload in the next semester, and then taught two class in the summer even though I only have a 9/10-month assignment ... so summer is overload.  If you looked at that year, "salary" looked outrageous as I work about 183% of a normal year's load, but the database gives no indication of loads, effort, number of jobs, etc.  I've also had other years where I've received a grant, but those aren't recurring.  You really need several years worth of data as well many of the other "behind-the-scenes" stuff to understand exactly what's happening ... as you've indicated, it's a number, but it's an imperfect number other than for the number itself.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, jets said:

Interesting- thank you for putting the time/effort into such research. 

While pay scale #’s are interesting in their own right- my initial question/inquiry was do any of the “head coaches” of the POWER conferences (as you call them) still try and hold what we be labeled as an “actual classroom instructor?” I.e math, language arts, science - core subject types?? 

I know PE and Strenght have their own challenges- but I’m talking the daily rigor of lesson plans, assessments, grading, etc...

My intial premise/thought would be probably not as it would take too much time/energy to do both?? 

But I do not know the answer- nor do I know how to look up such info 

OK so I finally got some time to answer my own question - and with just simple google searches I still couldn't find some positions (man school websites are hard to navigate!) - this is what I could find:

Ben Davis - Head Coach Jason Simmons - teaching position - PE

Center Grove - Head Coach Eric Moore- teaching position - PE

Lawrence Central - Head Coach Will Patterson - teaching position - PE

Lawrence North - Head Coach Patrick Mallory - teaching position - PE

North Central - Head Coach Kevin O'Shea - teaching position -listed as "Athletics" (?)

Results not found included:

Pike High School - Head Coach Pat Echeverria - teaching position ?

Carmel High School - Head Coach John Hebert - teaching position ? 

Warren Central - Head Coach TBD - teaching position ?? 

14 hours ago, jets said:

OK so I finally got some time to answer my own question - and with just simple google searches I still couldn't find some positions (man school websites are hard to navigate!) - this is what I could find:

North Central - Head Coach Kevin O'Shea - teaching position -listed as "Athletics" (?)

He was a math teacher when he was at LCC. 

Wasn't Pike's Coach assigned something like "K-12 Physical Education and Athletic Development Coordinator"?  

Essentially like a "Math Coach" or "Writing Coach" position that you see at some schools.  A former teacher who now instructs the teachers of the district how to teach those subjects more effectively. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...