Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Picks For 2021 State Champions

I would be curious to see who people think these teams will beat. Picking Cathedral to win 5A isn't really going out on a limb. I'm curious to who everyone thinks will be in the state championship games and who will win the match up. Just trying to make it a little more interesting. 

49 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

6A I am going with the Franklin Central Flashes...just kidding haha. I will go with Carmel. 

5A Cathedral for sure.

4A Chatard

Carmel returns the QB but they lose a lot of starters?  I'm sure they have dudes ready to fill in but still?

12 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

I would be curious to see who people think these teams will beat. Picking Cathedral to win 5A isn't really going out on a limb. I'm curious to who everyone thinks will be in the state championship games and who will win the match up. Just trying to make it a little more interesting. 

In 2A, I'm curious to see what Pioneer brings back.  I know they are 1A making their second time through the 2A ranks and I think they will lose the Lewellyns ... which will be huge given that Ezra was selected to the Indiana Top 50.  Only one other 1A kid, Miller from SA, made that list.  Pioneer gave Luers all they could handle this time around.

Wondering about Covenant Christian.  They are going to lose over 25% of their team to graduation.  They had a mix of younger players when you realize that under 15% of that team was classified as junior.  Was the strength of the team focused in the seniors or more evenly spread across the team?  TPCS had a pretty strong senior class in 2019, but had significant dropoff in 2020.  I think Lutheran could make the run this season for LOS.  LCC and Pioneer will be in 2A and I think enrollment with put AC there as well, so outside of what SA returns, it might be closer to an open horse-race in 1A North.

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

I'll take a shot in the dark here...

6A:  Center Grove over Westfield

5A:  Cathedral over Dwenger

4A:  Roncalli over Lowell

3A:  Concordia over Gibson Southern

2A:  Luers over Heritage Christian

1A:  Lafayette Central Catholic over Lutheran

LCC will be in 2A.

Just now, foxbat said:

In 2A, I'm curious to see what Pioneer brings back.  I know they are 1A making their second time through the 2A ranks and I think they will lose the Lewellyns ... which will be huge given that Ezra was selected to the Indiana Top 50.  Only one other 1A kid, Miller from SA, made that list.  Pioneer gave Luers all they could handle this time around.

Wondering about Covenant Christian.  They are going to lose over 25% of their team to graduation.  They had a mix of younger players when you realize that under 15% of that team was classified as junior.  Was the strength of the team focused in the seniors or more evenly spread across the team?  TPCS had a pretty strong senior class in 2019, but had significant dropoff in 2020.  I think Lutheran could make the run this season for LOS.  LCC and Pioneer will be in 2A and I think enrollment with put AC there as well, so outside of what SA returns, it might be closer to an open horse-race in 1A North.

Took a mini dive into things before my above picks and Covenant is losing their stud QB/RB and, even though many on here think they will just "reload", that is tough for any 1A outfit.

Pioneer is an intriguing one as they seem to return their second leading rusher (over 800 yards) and had a freshman QB who got some snaps this fall.

I won't pretend to know more than I do, especially when it comes to the lower classes, but just some quick research provided the above info.

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

LCC will be in 2A.

Ah, good call.  

No clue in 1A north for this guy in that case.

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

I'll take a shot in the dark here...

6A:  Center Grove over Westfield

5A:  Cathedral over Dwenger

4A:  Roncalli over Lowell

3A:  Concordia over Gibson Southern

2A:  Luers over Heritage Christian

1A:  Lafayette Central Catholic over Lutheran

So The Fort is on the up swing?

Saints ,Cadets, Knights all at the Big House next year?

interesting.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Took a mini dive into things before my above picks and Covenant is losing their stud QB/RB and, even though many on here think they will just "reload", that is tough for any 1A outfit.

Pioneer is an intriguing one as they seem to return their second leading rusher (over 800 yards) and had a freshman QB who got some snaps this fall.

I won't pretend to know more than I do, especially when it comes to the lower classes, but just some quick research provided the above info.

Ah, good call.  

CC is not in the "reload" category...they had some good seniors and the running back came in from another school, but I doubt they get back to LOS. 

6A Center Grove over Elkhart (maybe a year early, but I say they upset Westfield)) 

5A Cathedral over Dwenger 

4A Mt Vernon over Mooresville

3A Gibson Southern over Mishawaka Marian

2A Pioneer over Mater Dei 

1A Lutheran over Winamac 

Edited by vicvinegar
I didn't realize LCC bumped up.
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

Ah, good call.  

I think it all hinges on SA.  Hopefully someone from there can give us a little insight.  If they are reloading, I'd take SA to repeat in 1A North.  If they are rebuilding, then I think 1A North is wide open ... especially with a couple others that have been in the mix in the past like 'busco moving up.  One that I did forget, and this is going to depend on overall top of 1A enrollment and bottom of 2A enrollment, is that Seeger could move down.  If Seeger moves down to 1A, I think they might definitely make waves in 1A North.

6 minutes ago, southend said:

So The Fort is on the up swing?

Saints ,Cadets, Knights all at the Big House next year?

interesting.

Maybe these are just "safe picks" as I looked a bit at what other teams were returning in terms of offensive productions and gave these three the nod for their ability to "reload" easier than others...

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I think it all hinges on SA.  Hopefully someone from there can give us a little insight.  If they are reloading, I'd take SA to repeat in 1A North.  If they are rebuilding, then I think 1A North is wide open ... especially with a couple others that have been in the mix in the past like 'busco moving up.  One that I did forget, and this is going to depend on overall top of 1A enrollment and bottom of 2A enrollment, is that Seeger could move down.  If Seeger moves down to 1A, I think they might definitely make waves in 1A North.

I THOUGHT during the state game the announcers said the SA QB was a senior. He'll be a tough one to replace. 

1 minute ago, vicvinegar said:

I THOUGHT during the state game the announcers said the SA QB was a senior. He'll be a tough one to replace. 

Yeah, he was pretty good.  They did seem to have some other engines on that team too, but I have no idea at all whether they were also seniors or not.  I guess the question with the QB issue in mind is, while the QB will be hard to replace, is the guy coming in to "fill his shoes" closer to 80% or 50%.  If it's the former and those other engines return, I think SA does well.  If it's closer to 50%, as you state it could mean that he's not really going to be a replacement.

17 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Yeah, he was pretty good.  They did seem to have some other engines on that team too, but I have no idea at all whether they were also seniors or not.  I guess the question with the QB issue in mind is, while the QB will be hard to replace, is the guy coming in to "fill his shoes" closer to 80% or 50%.  If it's the former and those other engines return, I think SA does well.  If it's closer to 50%, as you state it could mean that he's not really going to be a replacement.

No one can replace James Arnold, but we’ll be set at QB with Aidan Wanner next year. He spent the past few years playing wide receiver at an all state level. He can pass the ball well, but will add more mobility than James provided. SA should have the skill positions covered, mostly with Trey Schoch returning. SA can field a good team, it’s all going to depend on how well of a line can be developed. We return only one lineman, our center Sam Plattner, who has played any varsity action before, but there are guys I believe that can do well. Going back to Aidan, don’t be surprised if he’s one the most dominant players in 1A next year. He’s getting recruited by some MAC schools. 

29 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

No one can replace James Arnold, but we’ll be set at QB with Aidan Wanner next year. He spent the past few years playing wide receiver at an all state level. He can pass the ball well, but will add more mobility than James provided. SA should have the skill positions covered, mostly with Trey Schoch returning. SA can field a good team, it’s all going to depend on how well of a line can be developed. We return only one lineman, our center Sam Plattner, who has played any varsity action before, but there are guys I believe that can do well. Going back to Aidan, don’t be surprised if he’s one the most dominant players in 1A next year. He’s getting recruited by some MAC schools. 

So it seems like SA will be the favorite in the North until someone proves otherwise.

BTW, completely off-topic ... I thought about your post the other day while watching football over the weekend.  I'm not even sure what game it was as I just had ESPN 3 on all day because the Aggies would be play, but I thought I saw a kid with the same spelling as Schoch and the commentators pronounced it correctly.  Probably would have never registered on my radar screen if not for you previous post.  So thanks for passing along that pronunciation tip ... you helped me learn something else. 🙂

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Maybe these are just "safe picks" as I looked a bit at what other teams were returning in terms of offensive productions and gave these three the nod for their ability to "reload" easier than others...

This is true for reloading. Seems like the are always in the SAC title mix.  It’s when they have to contend in the bigger area and state arena, last few years, is where they have faulted. But, they my break through with a big talent boost next year. Hope it happens. 

28 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Does anyone know if Bishop Chatard will go north or south in 4A? I assume same sectional as Roncalli... so I assume south... just curious

I would assume Chatard, Roncalli, and Brebeuf will all be in the same sectional and headed south. 

17 minutes ago, foxbat said:

So it seems like SA will be the favorite in the North until someone proves otherwise.

BTW, completely off-topic ... I thought about your post the other day while watching football over the weekend.  I'm not even sure what game it was as I just had ESPN 3 on all day because the Aggies would be play, but I thought I saw a kid with the same spelling as Schoch and the commentators pronounced it correctly.  Probably would have never registered on my radar screen if not for you previous post.  So thanks for passing along that pronunciation tip ... you helped me learn something else. 🙂

I sure hope they can get back down. Well see. Like I said, we have talent but it’s going to depend on a lot of development of our new linemen. And this assumes AC goes to 2A. Monroe Central will also be tough next year. And I’m glad I could educate you lol. Now just gotta work on the Northeast football announcers. 

9 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

I sure hope they can get back down. Well see. Like I said, we have talent but it’s going to depend on a lot of development of our new linemen. And this assumes AC goes to 2A. Monroe Central will also be tough next year. And I’m glad I could educate you lol. Now just gotta work on the Northeast football announcers. 

• Haha 1