Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Picks For 2021 State Champions

4 hours ago, southend said:

So The Fort is on the up swing?

Saints ,Cadets, Knights all at the Big House next year?

interesting.

Is the Fort on an up swing? Doubtful. I've got 4 up, 5 down, and one the same. 

But 2-3 teams in the finals isn't far fetched. I have Concordia "down" with the loss of a good senior class. However, Tim Mannigel returns and he has the Cadets on solid footing every year it seems. Plus, Chatard moves up. Concordia in the championship isn't far fetched. 

Snider and Dwenger, in that order, have as good of a shot as anyone to represent 5A North. Snider is on an uptick and should be back to form for the next three years. 

Luers? I really don't see anyone stopping them next year. No one up north anyway. 

5 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

5A Cathedral for sure.

6 hours ago, FridayNightLights said:

How many repeat champs will we have next year? I think 6A and 5A are almost a sure bet. 4A very likely. Interested to see what everyone's thoughts are.

My presumption with these comments is that Cathedral returns many key players? Or are we banking on "Cathedral being Cathedral" and just reloading?

57 minutes ago, BTF said:

My presumption with these comments is that Cathedral returns many key players? Or are we banking on "Cathedral being Cathedral" and just reloading?

Cathedral has 43 juniors on this team. Only 8 starters from this state championship team were seniors. 

On offense, 6 of 7 lineman/TEs back including two Power 5 recruit OTs. Major depth at WR. Question mark at QB and RB of all places. And we are on the road at the GCL half the season in Cincy. 

5A is ours to lose, but sophomore QB Danny O’Neill will have immense shoes to fill. And the schedule remains brutal = will need an injury free campaign. 

58 minutes ago, BTF said:

Is the Fort on an up swing? Doubtful. I've got 4 up, 5 down, and one the same. 

But 2-3 teams in the finals isn't far fetched. I have Concordia "down" with the loss of a good senior class. However, Tim Mannigel returns and he has the Cadets on solid footing every year it seems. Plus, Chatard moves up. Concordia in the championship isn't far fetched. 

Snider and Dwenger, in that order, have as good of a shot as anyone to represent 5A North. Snider is on an uptick and should be back to form for the next three years. 

Luers? I really don't see anyone stopping them next year. No one up north anyway. 

The cadets will be down after losing most if not all of their playmakers on both sides of the ball. 3-6/4-5 range in the SAC. By the time playoffs come around, I think they’ll get a favorable draw with Norwell losing a good senior class as well and could make a run.

Snider and Carroll will battle for the Victory Bell. Dwenger and Homestead will be right behind. Snider is the only one of those 4 that didn’t really lose much to graduation. Snider could legitimately be a threat in 5A. Strong defense, playmakers on offense with a big line. Just need to iron out the Qb situation.

As far as Luers goes, I’m not sure why so many are already penciling them in as state champions?? I think in conference Luers next year is 3-6/4-5 like Concordia, with the winner being 4-5 lol. Playoff wise, it’s no gimme. They will most likely have Eastside, Fairfield and Adams Central in their sectional. Regional they’ll see the likes of Eastbrook, Tipton and semi state could see matchups with LCC or Pioneer. All of those teams are capable of beating Luers and very well could if the Knights don’t play 48 minutes of Luers football. All those picking Luers to win it, yes they could but I wouldn’t bet on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

The cadets will be down after losing most if not all of their playmakers on both sides of the ball. 3-6/4-5 range in the SAC. By the time playoffs come around, I think they’ll get a favorable draw with Norwell losing a good senior class as well and could make a run.

Snider and Carroll will battle for the Victory Bell. Dwenger and Homestead will be right behind. Snider is the only one of those 4 that didn’t really lose much to graduation. Snider could legitimately be a threat in 5A. Strong defense, playmakers on offense with a big line. Just need to iron out the Qb situation.

As far as Luers goes, I’m not sure why so many are already penciling them in as state champions?? I think in conference Luers next year is 3-6/4-5 like Concordia, with the winner being 4-5 lol. Playoff wise, it’s no gimme. They will most likely have Eastside, Fairfield and Adams Central in their sectional. Regional they’ll see the likes of Eastbrook, Tipton and semi state could see matchups with LCC or Pioneer. All of those teams are capable of beating Luers and very well could if the Knights don’t play 48 minutes of Luers football. All those picking Luers to win it, yes they could but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I was think Dwenger loses quite a bit from last years team?? Snider should be OK with Haupert at QB as long as he does his work this spring and summer needs to work on some passing. Think they have really good back coming back in Brown. Of course Carroll has Becker coming back, will probably be dominate QB in SAC in 2021, will be glad when he leaves. Not sure what Homestead returns, think they may have some spots to fill.

5 minutes ago, SAC_Coach said:

Assuming nothing is crazy with alignments, Dwenger and Snider both cannot go far. They will have to possibly go through each other in sectionals for the first time ever. At least I think first time ever. 

I assume Snider will replace Anderson in Dwenger's sectional. 

2 hours ago, SAC_Coach said:

Assuming nothing is crazy with alignments, Dwenger and Snider both cannot go far. They will have to possibly go through each other in sectionals for the first time ever. At least I think first time ever. 

Confirmed. They've never met in the tournament. 

22 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

What ever happend to Komets3001? I miss him calling out sandbagging Luers Fans.😁

1 hour ago, jakone said:

What ever happend to Komets3001? I miss him calling out sandbagging Luers Fans.😁

Not sure how that’s sandbagging? I’m just not ready to anoint them as state champions like many others are. Yes they have a good team coming back but they also are losing key players at key positions and also aren’t very big size wise. Also, I’m considering the possibility of injuries (Sir Hale went down this past year and some others). Realistically speaking, a 4-5 regular season isn’t far fetched and we all know that in the playoffs nothing is a garunteed, especially in 2A North.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Not sure how that’s sandbagging? I’m just not ready to anoint them as state champions like many others are. Yes they have a good team coming back but they also are losing key players at key positions and also aren’t very big size wise. Also, I’m considering the possibility of injuries (Sir Hale went down this past year and some others). Realistically speaking, a 4-5 regular season isn’t far fetched and we all know that in the playoffs nothing is a garunteed, especially in 2A North.

I was joking. There was a few Luers posters in previous years that would always say Luers would be lucky to win a certain game in which Luers would end up winning by 40.

7 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

I am with you.  They certainly will be very tough to stop and they'd be my pick right now but they had issues on defense throughout the tournament and I think they lose both Rectanus and Doughty which looked to me to be their toughest players to block when they were on the field (Rectanus in particular because I think Doughty played every down on defense).

I can't imagine the 2A team that will be able to stop their passing attack but if they can't stop the other team, then all it takes is a couple of bad throws, a game in bad weather, or a few penalties to kill a couple drives to give the other team a chance to win.  And like you said, injuries could always factor in too.  

Have to admit that Luers grew on me in how they handled a very tough loss.  Nothing but class from the coach or the players I heard interviewed after the game.  Refreshing after hearing Eastbrook fans for a couple of years.  I'll be pulling for them next season.  

Edited by XStar
  • Like 1

From my understanding, Mater Dei was quite young and somewhat "overachieved" after a rocky start. Give them a wrestling season and another off season with Coach Goebel and the SIAC schedule, I think we'll see them competing to go to Lucas Oil next year from the south -- of course Western Boone is king until dethroned.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

From my understanding, Mater Dei was quite young and somewhat "overachieved" after a rocky start. Give them a wrestling season and another off season with Coach Goebel and the SIAC schedule, I think we'll see them competing to go to Lucas Oil next year from the south -- of course Western Boone is king until dethroned.

Western Boone will be in 3A so 2A south should be wide open anyway.  In fact, every team that has represented the south in 2A should be gone going back to 2014 when MD was there.  Webo (18, 19, 20), Southridge (17), Ritter (16), and Monrovia (15) I think all should be in 3A.  

• Disdain 1

On 12/8/2020 at 10:31 AM, oldtimeqb said:

I would assume Chatard, Roncalli, and Brebeuf will all be in the same sectional and headed south. 

Isn't Brebeuf in 3A or am I wrong??

6A Center Grove over Merrillville

5A Cathedral over Mishawaka

4A Chatard over Marion

3A Gibson Southern over Mishawaka Marion

2A Evansville Mater Dei over Andrean

1A Lutheran over LCC

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 10:19 PM, Whiting89 said:

6a Merrillville

5a Valpo (if still 5a?)

4a Hobart

3a Hanover Central

2a Wheeler

1a Parke Heritage

Park Heritage was a random selection. I think the Fighting Eagles of Lake Station rebound from their 0-9 campaign to run the table in 2021! Post game party to be held at Deja Vu.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Whiting89 said:

6a Merrillville

5a Valpo (if still 5a?)

4a Hobart

3a Hanover Central

2a Wheeler

1a Parke Heritage

I agree with you that Wheeler has the horses to compete for a state championship next year but I also thought they would be playing for a sectional championship this year til they got hammered by Rensselear so not really sure anymore.