Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral's Schedule

Did anyone see Cathedral's schedule on John Harrell's sight? 

Aug. 23 at Noblesville 6A 7:00 pm    
Aug. 31 at Cincinnati Moeller (Ohio) 7:00 pm   St. Xavier
Sep. 6 at Cincinnati Elder (Ohio) 7:00 pm    
Sep. 13   Indianapolis Chatard 3A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 20 at Cincinnati St. Xavier (Ohio) 7:30 pm    
Sep. 27   Jeffersonville 5A 7:00 pm    
Oct. 4   Louisville Trinity (Ky.) 7:00 pm   TBA
Oct. 11 at Brebeuf Jesuit 3A 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18   Center Grove 6A 7:00 pm  

I am the furthest thing from a Cathedral fan but I do give them credit for scheduling tough games.  At the same time there are two fairly easy ones as has been the case the last couple years.  They used to schedule the entire season with the best teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Has cathedral always been an independent or were they ever part of a conference?

While not an official conference, they were part of the Indianapolis City Series for a long time. From 1940 to around 1978 when the league ended.

http://www.almanacsports.com/football/conference.php?conf_id=indianapolis

Dan "Rudy" Engler

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Panther86 said:

I am the furthest thing from a Cathedral fan but I do give them credit for scheduling tough games.  At the same time there are two fairly easy ones as has been the case the last couple years.  They used to schedule the entire season with the best teams.

Man, that is harsh. Nobody needs to be in the meat grinder every week. That would be just stupid, especially in a state like Indiana, where the regular season means very little. Be nice to arrive at tournament time with at least some healthy players.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

CG plays the MIC and Cathedral and New Pal are their non-conference games.  Its a gauntlet.  CG's first 5 games are Warren, New Pal, Carmel, Ben Davis and North Central.......

No doubt CG’s schedule is a killer. But going on the road to Warren is one thing. But a road trip to Cincinnati is another, let alone 3 of them.

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

Man, that is harsh. Nobody needs to be in the meat grinder every week. That would be just stupid, especially in a state like Indiana, where the regular season means very little. Be nice to arrive at tournament time with at least some healthy players.

Did I not give them credit?  But they used to schedule even tougher, every game.  Noblesville and Jeffersonville are the 2 teams I was referring to.  I never said anything was wrong with that, just point out the fact of the change.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

I agree with Bobref, perhaps they have found brutal is not conducive to being healthy when it comes to the playoffs. I personally admire them for testing themselves against the best competition. Just think they are fine tuning to get the most return on the investment.

So would it be OK for (insert your favorite team) to go 0-9 in the regular season and then run through the playoffs and win a championship? I think every school has fans that would be OK with that. Imagine a 1A school that plays 5A and 6A schools all year then handles everyone they meet on the way to celebrating at LOS. Worth it? 

I commend them for scheduling tough.  No reason not to test yourself under current Indiana rules, which for really good teams, render the regular season meaningless. 

41 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

I agree with Bobref, perhaps they have found brutal is not conducive to being healthy when it comes to the playoffs. I personally admire them for testing themselves against the best competition. Just think they are fine tuning to get the most return on the investment.

So would it be OK for (insert your favorite team) to go 0-9 in the regular season and then run through the playoffs and win a championship? I think every school has fans that would be OK with that. Imagine a 1A school that plays 5A and 6A schools all year then handles everyone they meet on the way to celebrating at LOS. Worth it? 

Exactly why Indiana needs a rule change to at least include seeding but should also not have everyone making the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

I commend them for scheduling tough.  No reason not to test yourself under current Indiana rules, which for really good teams, render the regular season meaningless. 

Exactly why Indiana needs a rule change to at least include seeding but should also not have everyone making the playoffs. 

The age old question, how would you seed fairly? What would be the criteria for qualifying for the playoffs? We've been arguing it for years and still can't agree on a solution. Classes, clusters, public, private, etc. it's not fair to somebody. Still waiting on Moses to come down off the mountain with the commandments of fair play.

So.  Cathedral is not in a conference?  Correct. Not in a conference. School puts a schedule together that they want and can get. Correct?  Yes. Who cares?  Good luck Irish. 

On 3/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, DannEllenwood said:

So.  Cathedral is not in a conference?  Correct. Not in a conference. School puts a schedule together that they want and can get. Correct?  Yes. Who cares?  Good luck Irish. 

Part of the equation is that some schools simply will not schedule Cathedral - which is not uncommon for top programs (Some schools don't schedule games against P/P schools at all. Others will not schedule games where they believe they'll not be competitive). It's not easy to find opponents, even for public schools with a reputation for being powerhouses, but especially a powerhouse P/P like Cathedral. 

Add in the fact that most of the teams that *would* schedule them have conference schedules and thus 6 or 7 weeks of games are already locked in, and it becomes difficult. I'm not sure Cathedral's globetrotting schedule has as much to do with its willingness to test itself as simply the ability to find games (and often, against opponents that are in a similar situation). Cathedral's schedule is further hampered by the fact that it has no home field, thus has to schedule its home games around someone else's schedule. 

Cathedral's schedule, as Rudy pointed out above, used to largely be made up of other P/Ps in the city and IPS schools. But now that most of the P/Ps the Irish used to play are in the Circle City conference and IPS has struggled as much of its population has moved to the townships and now to the first-ring suburbs outside of Marion County (and as those schools have grown, they have traditional opponents they often play and/or are locked into conference schedules), it's harder to find local games. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/9/2019 at 9:43 PM, SenatorFan said:

Assuming that 1A school had an average size 1A roster, they probably wouldn't have enough healthy bodies to survive the playoffs.

If I put together a schedule like that, here would be my reasons:

1. Can't find other teams to play. Example: I heard the state of Texas banned any of their schools from playing the IMG Academy. Some may view a school like Cathedral the same way and not want to play them.
  2. Play top teams and you attract top talent and some kids may think traveling is fun/big-time football.
  3. Get on ESPN/TV. It seems they like to show top teams from different states.
  4. Avoid having to plays teams twice. All of Warren Central's tournament opponents were repeats.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, crimsonace1 said:

Part of the equation is that some schools simply will not schedule Cathedral - which is not uncommon for top programs (Some schools don't schedule games against P/P schools at all. Others will not schedule games where they believe they'll not be competitive). It's not easy to find opponents, even for public schools with a reputation for being powerhouses, but especially a powerhouse P/P like Cathedral. 

Never understand the intimidation factor so many seem to supine themselves to as regards Cathedral.  Always going to give you their best game....but geeze....it ain't like they are the '85 Bears.

Add in the fact that most of the teams that *would* schedule them have conference schedules and thus 6 or 7 weeks of games are already locked in, and it becomes difficult. I'm not sure Cathedral's globetrotting schedule has as much to do with its willingness to test itself as simply the ability to find games (and often, against opponents that are in a similar situation). Cathedral's schedule is further hampered by the fact that it has no home field, thus has to schedule its home games around someone else's schedule. 

Agreed. 

Cathedral's schedule, as Rudy pointed out above, used to largely be made up of other P/Ps in the city and IPS schools. But now that most of the P/Ps the Irish used to play are in the Circle City conference and IPS has struggled as much of its population has moved to the townships and now to the first-ring suburbs outside of Marion County (and as those schools have grown, they have traditional opponents they often play and/or are locked into conference schedules), it's harder to find local games. 

The Circle City Conference is no deterrent or limitation on scheduling Cathedral.  Chatard does every year.  Guerin never has. Brebeuf is playing them this year (think Brebeuf won the last meeting in 2016). Roncalli doesn't play them these days but it has nothing to do the their being in the CCC.  Agreed about IPS schools.  IPS outside of a couple of good years for Tech around 2013 is simply a wreck and has been for a long time.