Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  46 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

The Joe Biden Presidency Thread

swordfish

Joey B tests positive for Covid again after testing negative for four consecutive days citing a “rebound infection.”

3CAD319A-F524-42A9-9A65-AC88B65EAA56.jpeg

And in other news…

The Biden administration is not “finishing the wall”, just “filling it in” to “save lives.”

https://nypost.com/2022/07/31/a-democrat-thinks-biden-should-resign-before-the-midterms/

On March 9, 2020, Joe Biden — then the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee — described himself as “a bridge” to a new generation of Democratic leaders who are “the future of this country.”

As we approach the halfway point in President Biden’s first term, it’s clear the time has come for him to embrace his place in history as a transitional president and resign gracefully.

Biden faces record-low approval ratings, an impending red-wave midterm election, renewed concerns about his physical health and cognitive fitness, a failed domestic agenda with no path forward and glaring foreign-policy mistakes. If Republicans capture Congress, he’ll also face questions he can’t answer on his involvement in his son Hunter’s lucrative foreign business.

As a loyal Democrat, I don’t intend to criticize the character or integrity of Biden — for whom I voted on 2012’s ticket — and I recognize his presidency has had a few successes. His administration deserves credit for the rapid distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, which helped pull the country out of the pandemic’s worst days. Biden also signed two bipartisan reforms into law: a significant investment in America’s infrastructure and an unprecedented gun-safety bill.

But Biden hasn’t done what he was elected to do: heal America after years of polarization and division. That healing process failed in large measure because of his team’s inability to pursue an inclusive agenda.

Biden’s put the Democratic Party on track for a disastrous midterm election. He is widely blamed — and is in fact largely responsible — for the rampant spurt in inflation, which stands at 9.1% overall and 11.3% in wholesale prices, despite his efforts to fingers others such as Russian President Vladimir Putin.

There’s a reason Democrats avoid the subject of Biden on the campaign trail — he’s a drag on their electoral chances. Biden’s approval rating just reached a record-low 31%. Nearly two-thirds of Democrats (64%) would prefer he not seek reelection in 2024.

The president’s precipitous loss of support — even within his own party — has been driven in large part by voters’ concerns about his age and clear cognitive decline. A majority (53%) of Americans already had doubts about his physical fitness for office before his COVID-19 infection at age 79 renewed worries and yet another verbal gaffe — suggesting he has cancer — sent his communications team into damage control once again.

But beyond his physical and mental fitness, Biden’s proven throughout his tenure that he’s unable to effectively lead his party and country, both at home and abroad.

The president’s signature piece of legislation — his Build Back Better plan — will go down in history as a fiasco. Biden remained singularly focused on advancing this so-called transformational bill last year, often while ignoring the larger political forces at play vis-à-vis rising inflation, surging crime, the southern-border crisis and frustrations about COVID-19 mandates.

And since Build Back Better’s failure, the Biden administration — and national Democrats — has yet to propose a new agenda for the country that is anything more than a knee-jerk reaction to the right’s extreme positions on social issues.

Biden’s also been an inadequate commander in chief. Last August, he oversaw US troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan, which was, simply put, an unmitigated disaster. That embarrassment led America’s allies to question our word, further destabilized the Middle East, gave Putin the reassurance he needed to invade Ukraine and jeopardized Taiwan.

Unfortunately, Biden’s recent Middle East trip underscored his inability to project American leadership internationally. He failed to pressure Tehran to slow its nuclear program and secure allies to counter Russia’s and China’s influence in the region. Though Biden acted eerily cordial with the Saudi crown prince, he couldn’t persuade the Saudis to increase their oil production.

Biden has clearly lost his ability to govern — just as United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson did. The time has come for Biden to follow Johnson’s lead and step aside.

With the revelations about Hunter Biden’s contacts with his vice-president father giving the lie to Joe’s claims he never discussed Hunter’s business, it’s virtually certain there’ll be congressional investigations should Republicans win one or more chambers in November — making it even more difficult for the president to govern effectively.

For his party and his country, President Biden should step down before the midterms and give Vice President Kamala Harris a chance to lead.

While Harris unquestionably has political vulnerabilities of her own, Biden passing the torch would provide a much-needed shot in the arm for the Democratic Party — which claims to represent Americans of all classes and creeds yet still has three old, white leaders at the helm: Biden, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

As a young person of color — who would be the first female commander-in-chief — a President Harris could help shore up enthusiasm among the Democratic base and bolster the party’s midterm chances, especially given the energy surrounding women’s rights following the Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe v. Wade. And elevating Harris now would have the added benefit of allowing party leaders and activists to assess whether she’s a viable option as the 2024 nominee.

President Biden has served America admirably for nearly six decades. Now, as his final act of service to his party and to his country, he should gracefully resign and help usher in a new generation of Democratic leadership.

Trouble in the ranks?  Or just a part of the plan?

• Like 2

https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/first-bus-of-migrants-from-texas-arrives-in-nyc-abbott-says/

“With pledges from Texas and Arizona to continue these abhorrent operations indefinitely, the situation is dire,” the mayor added, “and we consider this a humanitarian crisis – one that could overwhelm our social support network without immediate and sustained federal intervention.”

SF wonders if these mayors in DC & NYC realize the slam of humanity that is at the border cities resulting from the BIden administration's open border policy/invitation.  6100 immigrants have been sent to DC (a "Sanctuary city" mind you) since April, now the first busload arrives in NYC (another "sanctuary city) and the Mayor cries foul and calls the practice "abhorrent".  SF thinks these liberal mayors should probably get used to it.....

Is Brittney Griner Worth It?: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/is-brittney-griner-worth-it/

The WNBA player Brittney Griner received an unjust nine-year sentence in Russia today after admitting to possession of hashish oil in that country. I say "unjust," not because her guilt is at issue -- it is not -- but because nobody deserves nine years in a Russian penal colony for a minor drug offense. It is obvious that the Putin government is using Griner to try to get the US to free Viktor Bout, an arms dealer now in prison in the US. Washington is said to be considering it seriously.

What kind of trade would that be, though? A pothead basketball player for an arms dealer, whose acts resulted in lots of people being killed? Griner had to have known that having cannabis in Russia was against the law. Why did she take that risk? Again, I think she was unfairly sentenced here, but are we honestly going to trade a genuinely evil Russian man for Brittney Griner?

Why is this even on the table? Peter Van Buren, a former US diplomat, questions whether Griner is getting special treatment from the Biden administration. He writes, in part:

The rule is simple: abroad, Americans are subject to the host country’s laws and legal system, whether that be Great Britain or Russia. The Bill of Rights does not follow Americans to foreign countries, nor will the US government intervene with the host country on their behalf. Try and bring some weed into Japan, and if you’re caught, you’re looking at years behind bars. No matter if it’s a small amount for personal use back home. In Japan, anything over about an ounce means you intended to sell it, and the punishment is accordingly lengthy.

I should know: I spent seven years in Japan visiting American prisoners as part of my State Department job. The top three reasons for their arrests were drugs, drugs, and drugs. Just like Brittney Griner. The difference between them and Griner was I was not allowed to help them get out, or advocate for a shorter sentence.

The only exception was if you were “wrongly detained,” [sic] a special category that allows the US government to actively help free those designated. It is up to the secretary of state to make the call, as there are no set criteria. Even the total number of Americans so designated is murky.

The State Department has declared Griner to have been "wrongfully detained" -- this, even though she admitted to breaking Russian law, and the evidence was found in her bags as she arrived in Moscow. What kind of idiot tries to smuggle drugs into Russia? There is no way in the world that Griner didn't know that drug possession is illegal in Russia.

In 2020, Griner, an out lesbian and woke political activist, told the media that she would refuse to go onto the court while the National Anthem was being played. Back then, she said:

“I honestly feel we should not play the national anthem during our season, I think we should take that much of a stand. I’m going to protest regardless. I’m not going to be out there for the national anthem. If the league continues to want to play it, that’s fine. It will be all season long, I’ll not be out there. I feel like more are going to probably do the same thing. I can only speak for myself."

That's certainly her right to have done that, and it by no means justifies this long prison sentence (nothing does!), but to us in the Unwoke-American community, that makes her a less sympathetic figure than she otherwise might have been. Van Buren writes that there are 4,000 Americans around the world who have, according to the State Department, been "wrongfully detained." What makes Griner so special as to receive this kind of high-profile treatment by the US Government? He goes on:

During my State Department career, I visited hundreds of American prisoners abroad, from celebrities and white-collar criminals dealing with multi-millions of dollars at issue to near-homeless Americans trying to make a quick drug score. Not a single one of them felt he was “rightfully detained” in every sense; most felt their sentences were too long given the offenses they committed. But I was under strict and standing orders not to advocate for any of them, to allow the host country process to play out as it would.

What makes Brittney Griner more special than Lieutenant Alkonis or Marc Fogel or my hundreds of cases, Mr. Biden? Will they have to wait in a foreign prison for some future election cycle when it is their peer group a future president seeks to impress?

What Van Buren is saying is that Brittney Griner is a black lesbian whose identity and outspoken wokeness make her dear to the hearts of certain Democratic Party constituencies. That is why the US Government is in talks with the Russians to send a convicted arms dealer to Russia in exchanged for a black lesbian pothead athlete who wouldn't stand for her horribly racist country's national anthem. This is privilege in Biden's America.

Free Brittney Griner? Absolutely. She doesn't deserve this sentence. But if bringing her home after she knowingly tried to smuggle drugs into Russia means letting Viktor Bout -- a would-be murderer of Americans, international arms dealer, a helper of terrorists, and likely a Russian spy -- go home, it's not worth it. Not even close -- and not even with the former American Marine Paul Whelan, imprisoned in Russia for allegedly having a thumb drive with classified information on it, included in the deal.

Are there no other US citizens wrongfully detained in Russia? On what grounds does the State Department even claim she was wrongfully detained? Unless the Russians are supposed to turn a blind eye when a professional athlete bearing identity characteristics from not one but two ruling-class-approved victim groups breaks their drug laws...

Regardless of my thoughts on Griner, she is an American citizen being held as a political prisoner by another country. I would expect the full cooperation from the federal government in freeing her. 

While I disagree vehemently with some of Griner’s methods of protest, as an American citizen she’s more than welcome to do so. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Regardless of my thoughts on Griner, she is an American citizen being held as a political prisoner by another country. I would expect the full cooperation from the federal government in freeing her. 

While I disagree vehemently with some of Griner’s methods of protest, as an American citizen she’s more than welcome to do so. 

So you don't agree that Ms. Griner committed a crime under Russian law?

Are these statement by Mr. Van Buren, a former U.S. diplomat, untrue?:

The rule is simple: abroad, Americans are subject to the host country’s laws and legal system, whether that be Great Britain or Russia. The Bill of Rights does not follow Americans to foreign countries, nor will the US government intervene with the host country on their behalf.

6 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I never said that. 

So she must not be a "political prisoner" as you claim.  Just an American citizen who broke the laws of another country, got caught, was tried under the judicial system of that country, and is now paying the price.  

Frankly she should receive no special consideration by the Biden administration and the State Department, aka making her a "political prisoner."

50 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So she must not be a "political prisoner" as you claim.  Just an American citizen who broke the laws of another country, got caught, was tried under the judicial system of that country, and is now paying the price.  

Frankly she should receive no special consideration by the Biden administration and the State Department, aka making her a "political prisoner."

So in your opinion nine years in prison is reasonable for a little weed in a vape cartridge? In your opinion her situation has in no way been influenced by the Ukraine war? No she should not have broken Russian law, which she allegedly did. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So in your opinion nine years in prison is reasonable for a little weed in a vape cartridge? In your opinion her situation has in no way been influenced by the Ukraine war? No she should not have broken Russian law, which she allegedly did. 

The real question becomes:  will she still be “offended” by our country’s national anthem after we inevitably swap her for an arms dealer in the name of optics prior to the midterms?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

The real question becomes:  will she still be “offended” by our country’s national anthem after we inevitably swap her for an arms dealer in the name of optics prior to the midterms?

It’s really of no consequence for me. As an American it is her god given right to protest the government. 

6 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

It’s really of no consequence for me. As an American it is her god given right to protest the government. 

My comment was tongue in cheek but the irony of this whole situation is rich.

Hopefully she comes home a changed woman…and uses her platform to influence others to count their blessings.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This is, essentially, state-sponsored kidnapping.

Is our country perfect?  Far from it.  

Do we have flaws/areas for improvement?  Hell yes.

Hopefully this story wakes folks up to what goes on in other parts of the world and reinforces why our democracy is the greatest in the world.  Sucks for Griner but perspective is important.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

On 8/5/2022 at 9:18 AM, swordfish said:

https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/first-bus-of-migrants-from-texas-arrives-in-nyc-abbott-says/

“With pledges from Texas and Arizona to continue these abhorrent operations indefinitely, the situation is dire,” the mayor added, “and we consider this a humanitarian crisis – one that could overwhelm our social support network without immediate and sustained federal intervention.”

SF wonders if these mayors in DC & NYC realize the slam of humanity that is at the border cities resulting from the BIden administration's open border policy/invitation.  6100 immigrants have been sent to DC (a "Sanctuary city" mind you) since April, now the first busload arrives in NYC (another "sanctuary city) and the Mayor cries foul and calls the practice "abhorrent".  SF thinks these liberal mayors should probably get used to it.....

Agreed. Mr. Mayor should come down here to Texas if he really wants something cry foul about.  Part of the "It's all OK as long as not in my back yard" crowd.  A dose of reality about this whole situation would change a lot of minds.

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

Agreed. Mr. Mayor should come down here to Texas if he really wants something cry foul about.  Part of the "It's all OK as long as not in my back yard" crowd.  A dose of reality about this whole situation would change a lot of minds.

Out of sight, out of mind.

On 8/1/2022 at 7:59 AM, swordfish said:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/31/a-democrat-thinks-biden-should-resign-before-the-midterms/

On March 9, 2020, Joe Biden — then the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee — described himself as “a bridge” to a new generation of Democratic leaders who are “the future of this country.”

As we approach the halfway point in President Biden’s first term, it’s clear the time has come for him to embrace his place in history as a transitional president and resign gracefully.

Biden faces record-low approval ratings, an impending red-wave midterm election, renewed concerns about his physical health and cognitive fitness, a failed domestic agenda with no path forward and glaring foreign-policy mistakes. If Republicans capture Congress, he’ll also face questions he can’t answer on his involvement in his son Hunter’s lucrative foreign business.

As a loyal Democrat, I don’t intend to criticize the character or integrity of Biden — for whom I voted on 2012’s ticket — and I recognize his presidency has had a few successes. His administration deserves credit for the rapid distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, which helped pull the country out of the pandemic’s worst days. Biden also signed two bipartisan reforms into law: a significant investment in America’s infrastructure and an unprecedented gun-safety bill.

But Biden hasn’t done what he was elected to do: heal America after years of polarization and division. That healing process failed in large measure because of his team’s inability to pursue an inclusive agenda.

Biden’s put the Democratic Party on track for a disastrous midterm election. He is widely blamed — and is in fact largely responsible — for the rampant spurt in inflation, which stands at 9.1% overall and 11.3% in wholesale prices, despite his efforts to fingers others such as Russian President Vladimir Putin.

There’s a reason Democrats avoid the subject of Biden on the campaign trail — he’s a drag on their electoral chances. Biden’s approval rating just reached a record-low 31%. Nearly two-thirds of Democrats (64%) would prefer he not seek reelection in 2024.

The president’s precipitous loss of support — even within his own party — has been driven in large part by voters’ concerns about his age and clear cognitive decline. A majority (53%) of Americans already had doubts about his physical fitness for office before his COVID-19 infection at age 79 renewed worries and yet another verbal gaffe — suggesting he has cancer — sent his communications team into damage control once again.

But beyond his physical and mental fitness, Biden’s proven throughout his tenure that he’s unable to effectively lead his party and country, both at home and abroad.

The president’s signature piece of legislation — his Build Back Better plan — will go down in history as a fiasco. Biden remained singularly focused on advancing this so-called transformational bill last year, often while ignoring the larger political forces at play vis-à-vis rising inflation, surging crime, the southern-border crisis and frustrations about COVID-19 mandates.

And since Build Back Better’s failure, the Biden administration — and national Democrats — has yet to propose a new agenda for the country that is anything more than a knee-jerk reaction to the right’s extreme positions on social issues.

Biden’s also been an inadequate commander in chief. Last August, he oversaw US troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan, which was, simply put, an unmitigated disaster. That embarrassment led America’s allies to question our word, further destabilized the Middle East, gave Putin the reassurance he needed to invade Ukraine and jeopardized Taiwan.

Unfortunately, Biden’s recent Middle East trip underscored his inability to project American leadership internationally. He failed to pressure Tehran to slow its nuclear program and secure allies to counter Russia’s and China’s influence in the region. Though Biden acted eerily cordial with the Saudi crown prince, he couldn’t persuade the Saudis to increase their oil production.

Biden has clearly lost his ability to govern — just as United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson did. The time has come for Biden to follow Johnson’s lead and step aside.

With the revelations about Hunter Biden’s contacts with his vice-president father giving the lie to Joe’s claims he never discussed Hunter’s business, it’s virtually certain there’ll be congressional investigations should Republicans win one or more chambers in November — making it even more difficult for the president to govern effectively.

For his party and his country, President Biden should step down before the midterms and give Vice President Kamala Harris a chance to lead.

While Harris unquestionably has political vulnerabilities of her own, Biden passing the torch would provide a much-needed shot in the arm for the Democratic Party — which claims to represent Americans of all classes and creeds yet still has three old, white leaders at the helm: Biden, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

As a young person of color — who would be the first female commander-in-chief — a President Harris could help shore up enthusiasm among the Democratic base and bolster the party’s midterm chances, especially given the energy surrounding women’s rights following the Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe v. Wade. And elevating Harris now would have the added benefit of allowing party leaders and activists to assess whether she’s a viable option as the 2024 nominee.

President Biden has served America admirably for nearly six decades. Now, as his final act of service to his party and to his country, he should gracefully resign and help usher in a new generation of Democratic leadership.

Trouble in the ranks?  Or just a part of the plan?

Well written and thought out.

But the thought of Mrs. Word Salad taking over in the oval office?  No thanks, I'll put up with "the devil I know" for a few more years.

Edited by Bonecrusher

On 8/5/2022 at 4:50 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

So in your opinion nine years in prison is reasonable for a little weed in a vape cartridge?

No, it is way too severe a sentence for the crime she committed.  At least in the United States.................

https://nypost.com/2022/08/07/mayor-eric-adams-greets-latest-border-crossers-in-nyc/

Mayor Adams was on hand for the cameras Sunday to greet the city’s latest busload of migrants being dumped here from Texas — only to be stunned to learn that the vast majority had  gotten off before they made it.

Wow - who would have thought.......illegal immigrants maybe wanting to just escape into the country and fade away safely instead of going to NYC?

"Untouchable"

https://nypost.com/2022/08/10/so-fbi-why-no-raid-of-hunter-bidens-house/

The message was unmistakable at Joint Base Andrews Wednesday, two days after former President Donald Trump’s Florida home was raided by the FBI.

There, boarding Air Force One at 1:20 p.m., shoulder to shoulder with his father, the president, was Hunter Biden, whose home has never been raided.

Despite a snail’s pace grand-jury investigation into his suspect business dealings by the US attorney in Joe Biden’s crony state of Delaware, despite copious documentary evidence that he accepted millions of dollars from America’s adversaries in exchange for influencing his father, the then-vice president, despite actively working with Communist China to extend “belt-and-road” imperialism across the globe to undermine America, Hunter, 52, looked as if he didn’t have a care in the world.

Dressed in a suit and tie and accompanied by wife Melissa Cohen and toddler son Beau Biden, he made his way slowly up the stairs of the presidential jet, alongside Joe, exchanging private jokes before stopping at the top to turn and face the waiting cameras, father and son, giving the world a lingering view of their brazen smiles before they jetted off for a seven-day vacation to a favorite family haunt, Kiawah Island, SC.

“We are untouchable” was the unspoken message.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Kill me now 1