Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Naming Stadiums/Fields after Coaches?

3 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What schools have fields or stadiums named after coaches or ADs? I'm not a fan of corporate naming conventions, which often occur in large urban/suburban communities.

What schools in Indiana have fields named after coaches/ADs/players/other unique community icons/contributors?

Eastbrook’s stadium is named for the present coach, Jeff Adamson.  He’s very deserving of this honor!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, captainobvious said:

Eastbrook’s stadium is named for the present coach, Jeff Adamson.  He’s very deserving of this honor!!

No doubt, but I've never been a fan of naming a stadium/facility after an ACTIVE coach for some reason.  Can't really explain it, just my opinion.

5 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What schools have fields or stadiums named after coaches or ADs? I'm not a fan of corporate naming conventions, which often occur in large urban/suburban communities.

What schools in Indiana have fields named after coaches/ADs/players/other unique community icons/contributors?

If someone gives you a couple million dollars to build a field you name it whatever they want lol 

The Mishawaka Cavemen play in Frank M. Steele Stadium.

Steele was Mishawaka’s Coach 1924-1932 and his Cavemen claimed 2 mythical state championships (’25 and ’26).

He was the Mishawaka High School Athletic Director 1934-1952 and then served as the head of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Safety for the Mishawaka School Corporation until his retirement in 1960.

The stadium was built (completed)  in 1939.

• Like 1

LCC has Paul J. LaRocca Field and LaRocca Plaza.  Became head coach at LCC in 1960 and led the Knights to an undefeated season in 1969 and their first state title in 1976.  Served as the LCC Assistant Principal and Athletic Director, and eventually the Regional Superintendent of all Lafayette Catholic Schools.

Quote from Coach LaRocca that probably sums it up:

“Good coaching means so much more than just winning on the court or on the field. Proper coaching always meant the teaching and application of proper techniques and procedures." ... “There’s no better way to instill these values and skills in players than to organize and oversee youth programs. I’ve treasured my contributions and efforts in CYO and those youth programs that emphasize the fundamentals of life, of religion, and of football.”

Still supportive of LCSS, education, and coaching, even after leaving LCSS in 1986 to take on the role of Lafayette Bank and Trust (LBT) as Vice President in charge of Business Development and Marketing.

https://www.lcss.org/news/knights-to-remember-paul-j-and-alice-a-larocca/

12-1.jpg

Some NWI ones for ya. Thankfully there aren’t any corporate sponsorship names in Lake/Porter/LaPorte/Jasper counties.

Merrillville - Dick Demaree Stadium- coach/program founder 1946-1975

Highland - Ken “Zip” Sypult Field - first Coach 1958-75

Munster - the field isn’t named, but the entire football/soccer/baseball complex is named for school’s first Coach and AD John Friend (1964-80). I would expect them to name the football field for recently retired coach Leroy Marsh (1980-2017), the program’s second coach, in the next few years.

KV - Fred Jones Field - School’s first AD and coach at pre-consolidated Wheatfield

Hammond Morton - Maurey Zlotnik Field - first coach 1952-75

Whiting - Ray P. Galavan Field - first Coach 1929-41, 46-55

Gary Roosevelt (RIP) - Leonard Douglas Stadium (Coach 1947-70)

East Chicago Central - Pete Rucinski Field - EC Roosevelt Coach 1937-63

Chesterton - Ray Banary Field (first Coach 1960-75)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maroonman said:

Steele was Mishawaka’s Coach 1924-1932 and his Cavemen claimed 2 mythical state championships (’25 and ’26).

He was the Mishawaka High School Athletic Director 1934-1952 and then served as the head of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Safety for the Mishawaka School Corporation until his retirement in 1960.

Beat me to it, one of the best stadiums in the state IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE said:

When do we begin naming end zones, sidelines, etc.?

Penn now has TCU Freed Field and a Zolman Tire concession stand. Not sure where it ends. 

Freed Field was named after a Penn Township Trustee.

While the renovations are nice, particularly the concourse area in the southwest corner of the stadium, a part of me feels like the place has been thoroughly sterilized through renovation. 

17 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:
2 hours ago, maroonman said:

Beat me to it, one of the best stadiums in the state IMO

Big time. It's got a rugged quality to it that matches their teams perfectly. 

Absolutely loved playing there (Rice Field would be my second favorite NIC location for a road game). I'm sure it helped that the environment was particularly hostile. 

• Like 1

Wabash River Conference Fields

Attica - Lewis Bruce Field - Believe he was a pretty successful athlete for Attica who passed away at 18

Covington - Trojan Complex

Fountain Central - Mustang Stadium 

North Vermillion - Gibson Field - named after the family that donated the land that the field is built on

Parke Heritage - No Name

Riverton Parke - Frank Ciolli Field - First coach at RP

South Vermillion - Brent Anderson Memorial Stadium - First coach at SV, previously Clinton HS

Seeger - Patriot Field

40 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

Bud Wright Stadium - home of the Sheridan Blackhawks.

Still active, but I think 9 state titles and 2 runners-up allow you that honor.

Have all the state titles begun at the current field? I remember watching games on the old field in the 60's, maybe up into the 70's. Looks like it's still there from looking at the aerial view. Appears to be a soccer field.

29 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Have all the state titles begun at the current field? I remember watching games on the old field in the 60's, maybe up into the 70's. Looks like it's still there from looking at the aerial view. Appears to be a soccer field.

1979 was the first season on the current field and the first state championship was won in 1980.  The old field is now the soccer field and is named for Barney Stout, a former football coach and administrator at the school.  The baseball field was opened in 1980 and is named for Kent Harris, long time coach and assistant principal.  The gym is named for former coach Larry Hobbs, who led Sheridan when they used to dominate basketball in Hamilton County.

I enjoyed playing on the old field as the track was behind the bleachers and the stands were very close to the bench area.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

I enjoyed playing on the old field as the track was behind the bleachers and the stands were very close to the bench area.

I remember that. It was a real closed in feeling. And it always seemed dark there. I've seen games in the old gym also. That was a neat place. There were quite a few trophies in the lobby there also. Something about a top entrance gym that makes them special.

Fred F. Park Field in Bluffton, IN,-  I believe he was a coach and principal if I remember correctly.

J.M. McKeand in Shelbyville,IN-  I believe was a very successful coach and maybe one of the best.  If we can ever get field turf,  I think it would pay some great respect to Pat Parks to name field after him since he was here for almost 30 years.  I have great respect for that man. 

• Like 1