Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Naming Stadiums/Fields after Coaches?

9 hours ago, temptation said:

No doubt, but I've never been a fan of naming a stadium/facility after an ACTIVE coach for some reason.  Can't really explain it, just my opinion.

That’s fine, but he is one of the best coach and man in all of high school football!!  I’m sure he doesn’t want the recognition, but it is well earned!!

• Disdain 1

48 minutes ago, captainobvious said:

That’s fine, but he is one of the best coach and man in all of high school football!!  I’m sure he doesn’t want the recognition, but it is well earned!!

He was Hall of Fame before they moved the state games to LOS!

Is this too off-topic for this thread? I enjoy interesting nicknames for stadiums. I saw some great games at The Boneyard when Russ’ wishbone was crushing the opposition. Ditto for The Inferno at Lowell, in Kirk Kennedy’s heyday. Always got a kick out of the Plymouth Rockpile, with one of the best student sections anywhere.  What are some other nicknames, official or unofficial?

We have "The Landing Strip at Minnich Field" for Coach Rick Minnich. We needed something to go with The Hangar in the Airstrip of Monroe. I don't believe anything else athletics wise has been named for anyone else.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, Dolts said:

Wabash River Conference Fields

Attica - Lewis Bruce Field - Believe he was a pretty successful athlete for Attica who passed away at 18

Covington - Trojan Complex

Fountain Central - Mustang Stadium 

North Vermillion - Gibson Field - named after the family that donated the land that the field is built on

Parke Heritage - No Name

Riverton Parke - Frank Ciolli Field - First coach at RP

South Vermillion - Brent Anderson Memorial Stadium - First coach at SV, previously Clinton HS

Seeger - Patriot Field

Covington - Trojan Complex

So many angles....

3 hours ago, Robert said:

We have "The Landing Strip at Minnich Field" for Coach Rick Minnich. 

They're lobbing them now...

I don't know why they just didn't make it the Airstrip instead of specifying it as "The Landing Strip". Our new sports complex is called the SAC (sack not S. A. C. all spaced out).

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

Is this too off-topic for this thread? I enjoy interesting nicknames for stadiums. I saw some great games at The Boneyard when Russ’ wishbone was crushing the opposition. Ditto for The Inferno at Lowell, in Kirk Kennedy’s heyday. Always got a kick out of the Plymouth Rockpile, with one of the best student sections anywhere.  What are some other nicknames, official or unofficial?

I love nicknames, you all know that.

How about the Kennel for Brownsburg, Crown Point, and anybody else nicknamed the Bulldogs?

The Battlefield for the Patriots and even Rebels 

The Nest for teams such as the Falcons or Hawks

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

I love nicknames, you all know that.

How about the Kennel for Brownsburg, Crown Point, and anybody else nicknamed the Bulldogs?

The Battlefield for the Patriots and even Rebels 

The Nest for teams such as the Falcons or Hawks

What do you recommend for the Trojans?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gipper said:

The Pit is also a commonly used term, how about the Hole or Dungeon?

I knew I’d freak out like this: too much coffee.

Pioneer has The Pit and it certainly is one. 

Winamac has Roudebush Field.

Caston has The Crater.