Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Naming Stadiums/Fields after Coaches?

New Prarie's Amzie Miller field was the school's principal and and executive committe member of the IHSAA. 

Hobart was known is Don Howell Field at Brickie Bowl. 

Michigan City Elston's Gill Field is named after Andy Gill coach for Elston (1919-1938) and member of the Indiana Football Hall of Fame.  Andy Gill's ashes were spread on the field. 

Abandoned Gilroy Stadium in Gary was named for John "Jack: Gilroy who was a gym teacher at Gary Emerson.

Edited by Tommy

On 12/11/2020 at 1:29 PM, Basementbias said:

We have "The Landing Strip at Minnich Field" for Coach Rick Minnich. We needed something to go with The Hangar in the Airstrip of Monroe. I don't believe anything else athletics wise has been named for anyone else.

That sounds like a "secret bar" up in the pressbox.  😀

On 12/13/2020 at 3:47 PM, jakone said:

Bishop Luers--- Boogie Knights field

I think @Coach Nowlinrefers to that as The Waterpark. 😀

Lord, I apologize for that.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

That sounds like a "secret bar" up in the pressbox.  😀

I think @Coach Nowlinrefers to that as The Waterpark. 😀

Lord, I apologize for that.

You can zoom in and see the signage. Maybe they do have one up in the press box?

ac.jpg

Columbus East - Stafford Field. Named after John Stafford who was the head coach for the first 29 years of East’s existence (1972-2000). Led the Olympians to the 3A state title in 1979 when 3A was the largest class.

Columbus North - Max Andress Field. Named after the final head coach of Columbus High School before it split and became Columbus North. Coached 21 years from 1951-1971 and had the only undefeated team in school history (10-0 in 1959).

On 12/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, maroonman said:

The Mishawaka Cavemen play in Frank M. Steele Stadium.

Steele was Mishawaka’s Coach 1924-1932 and his Cavemen claimed 2 mythical state championships (’25 and ’26).

He was the Mishawaka High School Athletic Director 1934-1952 and then served as the head of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Safety for the Mishawaka School Corporation until his retirement in 1960.

The stadium was built (completed)  in 1939.

Hey Maroon man

Growing up as a kid,  Steele Stadium I believe was named "Tupper Field."  Do you know the history on that name? Always wondered. What year did they change? Thinking around 1980 or 1981?

On 1/6/2021 at 11:29 AM, gbjemler said:

Hey Maroon man

Growing up as a kid,  Steele Stadium I believe was named "Tupper Field."  Do you know the history on that name? Always wondered. What year did they change? Thinking around 1980 or 1981?

It is actually still Tupper Field at Steele Stadium. There is a plaque on the southside of the home stands/seating before you go into the tunnel. 👍

• 1 month later...

On 1/6/2021 at 11:29 AM, gbjemler said:

Hey Maroon man

Sorry gbjemler... I haven't been on this board for a while.

Here's your answer...

Until 1941, Mishawaka’s field was known as “Mishawaka School Field”.

In 1939, with the completion of the new permanent seating (the stadium still in use today), the field was dedicated without a name.

On July 7, 1941 it was dedicated as “Tupper Field”.

William Tupper was not a coach, or even a teacher.  He is credited with bringing the first electric lighting system to the city of Mishawaka in about 1895 while he was the superintendent of the Dodge Power Plant.

He also served for 22 consecutive years on the Mishawaka School Board and oversaw the construction of the stadium.  The “Tupper Field” dedication coincided with his retirement from the School Board in 1941.

On January 8, 1980, the Mishawaka School Board of Trustees voted to dedicate the stadium to Frank M. Steele.

On August 29, 1980, the stadium was officially dedicated as “Frank M. Steele Stadium.”

26 minutes ago, maroonman said:

Here's your answer...

In 1939, with the completion of the new permanent seating (the stadium still in use today), the field was dedicated without a name.

William Tupper was not a coach, or even a teacher.  He is credited with bringing the first electric lighting system to the city of Mishawaka in about 1895 while he was the superintendent of the Dodge Power Plant.

He also served for 22 consecutive years on the Mishawaka School Board and oversaw the construction of the stadium.  The “Tupper Field” dedication coincided with his retirement from the School Board in 1941.

On January 8, 1980, the Mishawaka School Board of Trustees voted to dedicate the stadium to Frank M. Steele.

On August 29, 1980, the stadium was officially dedicated as “Frank M. Steele Stadium.”

That is super cool history. I love stories like this.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:23 AM, Gipper said:

Elkhart Lions—the Den

Angola Hornets—the Hive

Lafayette Jeff Bronchos—the Corral (or house Bob Rohrman built)

Logansport Berries—the Patch

Fort Wayne South Archers—the Range

Actually, it's probably more the house that John Schuemann built.

Rohrman's legacy is tied much more to the arts at Jeff with the Rohrman PAC.  You can also make an argument for Schuemann's ties to the arts too as, while he's known at Jeff for the stadium, among other things, part of the driving force in the stadium expansion was creating a place large enough for the marching band to be able to host large-scale competitions.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, maroonman said:

Here's your answer...

Very Nice Summary...thank you