Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SAC too early prediction 2021

Contenders for the bell.. Homestead, Dwenger, Carroll and Snider.

Tier 2...  Concordia, Luers, Northrop and Wayne

Bottom tier... North side and South Side

Take this with a grain of salt due to my ignorance of who everyone has coming back and or transfers etc.

I'll take a stab at it.

Tier 1 - Any order is possible.

1.   Snider - With major D1 guys anchoring the offense and defense, a second year starter at QB, and an impressive RB...........I like Snider's chances at a victory bell and a deep run in 5A.

2.   Dwenger - I'm hearing they lose a lot. But they are still Dwenger and they still have Jason Garrett. 

3.   Homestead - The Spartans had a good two year run, but are they really at the same level as Snider and Dwenger as a program? Three years in a row might convince me. They do seem to have turned the corner after joining the SAC. 

Tier 2 - Any order is possible

4.   Luers - They didn't fair to well against the SAC's 6A big boys the last two years, but they've proved they can rumble with Homestead and Carroll in years past. I like their chances this year with several returning starters. 

5.   Carroll - They return a Division 1 caliber QB, but is there anything else left in the tank? He lost some phenomenal targets at wideout to graduation and they've never really had much of a defense. I'm not sold on the Chargers yet. 

6.   Concordia - As long as Tim Mannigel is calling the shots, I'll always give Concordia the benefit of the doubt. Although there is no shame at being ranked #6, I wouldn't be shocked if they finished in the 4 spot at seasons end.

7.   Northrop - I keep waiting for that break out year. Maybe I'm giving the Bruins too much credit. I feel like the Doerffler name carries some weight, but we're not seeing the results on the field yet. 

8.   Wayne - I'm still looking forward to seeing what Haydock can do with this team. Wayne has had some darn good teams in the past and there is no reason the new proven coach shouldn't get them back to a champion caliber level. If there is one pick that I'm wrong on, it's probably this one.

Tier 3 - Could go either way

9.   South Side - I'm going out on a limb on this one. I really liked the way they ended 2020.

10.  North Side - Losing their 3 star QB and head coach Mike Brevard will be too much to overcome. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

I am fine with the "way too early predictions".  

But the issue with the conference as a whole, is that it is a CLOSED one as it relates to football.  The 3 privates are the benefactors of this system, IMO.  

It gives none of the larger publics any conception of how they relate to any of the other institutions outside of the area/conference/state.  So the playoffs become a crap-shoot for them.  

As for the privates, they always get the added bonus of then playing within the lower classification that they are assigned (playoffs);  After having gone through the grind of playing larger schools.  

Having said all that, it will always be the same thing:  Wash, Rinse, Repeat....year after year with the SAC!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakone said:

Who are teams going to play that will help them out? Indy area schools aren't going to travel to Ft. Wayne when they know it won't help them out they'll get better competition staying close to home.

Your ENTIRE argument is moot!  Its a closed conference schedule, so none of that is even possible due to the current structure.  Hence, my earlier comment.  

And to suggest that teams wouldn't travel to play FW area teams, is ridiculous.  I am certain that teams would welcome the competition from all corners of the state, so long as the logistics were amiable to both schools.  

6 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I am fine with the "way too early predictions".  

But the issue with the conference as a whole, is that it is a CLOSED one as it relates to football.  The 3 privates are the benefactors of this system, IMO.  

It gives none of the larger publics any conception of how they relate to any of the other institutions outside of the area/conference/state.  So the playoffs become a crap-shoot for them.  

As for the privates, they always get the added bonus of then playing within the lower classification that they are assigned (playoffs);  After having gone through the grind of playing larger schools.  

Having said all that, it will always be the same thing:  Wash, Rinse, Repeat....year after year with the SAC!  

I assumed this thread was to see how SAC teams stacked up against one another. But I agree with every word of your post. 

4 hours ago, jakone said:

Who are teams going to play that will help them out? Indy area schools aren't going to travel to Ft. Wayne when they know it won't help them out they'll get better competition staying close to home.

Cathedral came up to play Snider less than a decade ago. I think you would be surprised. 

There was a four year period where SAC teams had two out of conference games during this stretch Snider's seasons ended in blowout loses.  When Carroll and Homestead joined the SAC which resulted in closed scheduling Snider wins State that first year. It's not who play that makes you better it's how you play that does.

5 hours ago, jakone said:

There was a four year period where SAC teams had two out of conference games during this stretch Snider's seasons ended in blowout loses.  When Carroll and Homestead joined the SAC which resulted in closed scheduling Snider wins State that first year. It's not who play that makes you better it's how you play that does.

Interesting. 

10 hours ago, jakone said:

What have the PUBLIC 6A and 5A schools done since?  Nada

What have the PRIVATE schools in the conference done since?  Multiple State Finals wins/appearances   

(Again, my entire argument....The SAC benefits the smaller privates much more than the public larger schools)

Frankly, it IS who you play...ask the North Central Conference... same situation there, inflated expectations based upon 'sketchy' records.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jakone said:

Pretty small sample size to draw that conclusion.

10 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

What have the PUBLIC 6A and 5A schools done since?  Nada

What have the PRIVATE schools in the conference done since?  Multiple State Finals wins/appearances   

(Again, my entire argument....The SAC benefits the smaller privates much more than the public larger schools)

Frankly, it IS who you play...ask the North Central Conference... same situation there, inflated expectations based upon 'sketchy' records.  

Snider 2015 5A title. So instead of Nada, maybe very little?? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Lol, you have a point. But even then, they didn't necessarily have to go through Indy to get there. Unless you want to debate New Pal being Indy's best team in 2015. Center Grove will argue that............but I think it's debatable. 

On 12/19/2020 at 6:28 PM, Yuccaguy said:

Your ENTIRE argument is moot!  Its a closed conference schedule, so none of that is even possible due to the current structure.  Hence, my earlier comment.  

And to suggest that teams wouldn't travel to play FW area teams, is ridiculous.  I am certain that teams would welcome the competition from all corners of the state, so long as the logistics were amiable to both schools.  

But aren't the AD's working on this?

On 12/19/2020 at 2:59 PM, Yuccaguy said:

This 100%. Carroll and Homestead were both good this year in terms of the SAC, but the Indy schools are just on a much higher level right now in 6A.

On 12/19/2020 at 4:41 PM, jakone said:

Cathedral traveled to East Noble in 2016. I am sure they would play Carroll, Dwenger, Homestead or Snider.

I don't think you'll necessarily get a big 4 from the MIC to schedule a game at the moment, but other MIC schools or schools in the HCC would definitely be a possibility. Roncalli and Chatard wouldn't be bad to play either for any team in the top half of the SAC.

1 hour ago, Prospect said:

This 100%. Carroll and Homestead were both good this year in terms of the SAC, but the Indy schools are just on a much higher level right now in 6A.

Cathedral traveled to East Noble in 2016. I am sure they would play Carroll, Dwenger, Homestead or Snider.

I don't think you'll necessarily get a big 4 from the MIC to schedule a game at the moment, but other MIC schools or schools in the HCC would definitely be a possibility. Roncalli and Chatard wouldn't be bad to play either for any team in the top half of the SAC.

Let's say Homestead would have played Westfield in the regular season and got throttled 42-9 how would that help Homestead in the playoffs?

16 minutes ago, jakone said:

Let's say Homestead would have played Westfield in the regular season and got throttled 42-9 how would that help Homestead in the playoffs?

They were the best team Homestead saw all season. Having the experience and knowing what to expect when you meet a team like that again is extremely valuable. Had they played in the regular season I think they would have kept the game much closer in the playoffs. Homestead has an amazing and dedicated coaching staff that would have put in the time to see weaknesses to exploit and their own weaknesses that were exploited against them. Westfield most likely would have won, but we would have actually had a game.

There's a reason people say it's hard to beat a team twice.

34 minutes ago, Prospect said:

They were the best team Homestead saw all season. Having the experience and knowing what to expect when you meet a team like that again is extremely valuable. Had they played in the regular season I think they would have kept the game much closer in the playoffs. Homestead has an amazing and dedicated coaching staff that would have put in the time to see weaknesses to exploit and their own weaknesses that were exploited against them. Westfield most likely would have won, but we would have actually had a game.

There's a reason people say it's hard to beat a team twice.

How do you know that Westfield would not have learned more from that game also and won by even more. One thing Westfield probably would learn is until SAC teams get better they would benefit very little from playing them.

51 minutes ago, jakone said:

How do you know that Westfield would not have learned more from that game also and won by even more. One thing Westfield probably would learn is until SAC teams get better they would benefit very little from playing them.

I mean nobody knows because it didn't happen. How do you know that Homestead wouldn't have learned so much that they mercy ruled Westfield in the first 10 minutes of the game? You asked how it would help Homestead and I answered.

Snider, Homestead and Carroll would all fit fine on Westfield's schedule. I am sure you don't care about anyone besides Luers in the SAC which is fine, but please do some research. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, psaboy said:

As I sad before, SINCE 2015 (the 1st year of Homestead and Carroll being added to the conference), has any 6A or 5A team done anything in the playoffs?  Other than take a team to a 1-8 Noblesville and barely squeak by in the final minute? 

Yes, a legitimate 5A Snider did beat 4A New Pal (Success Factor) in perhaps the best finals game ever played.... 

2016- Today.....Nada!!!

As for who you play meaning nothing. Let's look at 2 schools and you tell me what you think EVERY season when the playoffs start, what ever their win/loss record is:  Cathedral and Luers

6 hours ago, Robert said:

But aren't the AD's working on this?

Not really, impossible to do anything in the absence of "non-conference" game date availability.  

Carroll and Homestead were happy beating up on NHC for YEARS.  The SAC was a step up for them.  They’re fine getting 7-10 wins a season and starting the basketball season in time. Picking those two up was a win for the rest of the SAC.  The other teams pick up two very good games and don’t have to travel at all.  All the ADs are happy.  Nothing will change.  Post was hijacked.  Let’s get back on track here.

Snider

dwenger

Homestead

Carroll

Luers

northrop

Concordia 

north

wayne

Ss

I can say with 100% certainty that Luers wouldn't have 11 state titles without the benefit of playing the larger schools in the SAC. They would have several, but playing the tougher schedule prepares them for the small schools they play come tournament time. 

46 minutes ago, SAC_Insider said:

SAC will be changing its schedule after reclass, with the idea being to keep teams in same class playing later in the year.  

I haven't had ONE Athletic Director/Insitution contact anyone who would be directly impacted by your "proclamation" ... Make any mention of them doing any sort of thing. 

They have contracted officials via a master schedule for the next 3 years at minimum.  I would love to know your source(s).  

54 minutes ago, BTF said:

I can say with 100% certainty that Luers wouldn't have 11 state titles without the benefit of playing the larger schools in the SAC. They would have several, but playing the tougher schedule prepares them for the small schools they play come tournament time. 

Do you think this works the other way against the larger schools, have to play a few games/close to half, against 3A/4A and the (1) 2A??