Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bret Bielema will lead Illinois to BT Championship Game in 3 Years

Guest DT

On 12/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, temptation said:

Heard the same thing about Minnesota and Purdue two years ago...

PJ Fleck is a solid coach. Bowl win year 2 and year 3. Tied for first in their division last season and this past season was a cluster F among their program w covid outbreaks. I think 1 game they had 30 or 40 guys not dress. 

He just picked up a DT from NC State and a WR from Texas AM along with a LB from Abilene Christian. 

They have their QB, best RB, 2nd and 3rd top WR and a slew of defensive guys coming back. This was a rebuilding year.. They should be solid this year.

I really dont see any clear front runner in the BT West.  Wisconsin was clearly the top program over the past decade but the Badgers were probbly the most heavily impacted team from the COVID virus.  That will set them back and delay their return to the top.

Iowa is very solid but not spectacular in any way.  They continue to achieve more with less talent than any school in the conference.  ferentz and his staff are vastly underrated.

Northwestern could take a big step back if they lose Fitzgerald.  He single handedly wills that program to achieve beyond its normal capability.  They will fall back if he goes to the NFL.

Nebraska is the sleeping giant.  They still havent woken up.  Is Frost the guy to make it happen?  They continue to recruit as well or better than anyone in the division but their on field play is inconsistent and uninspiring.  , 

Minnesota gets no respect.  I listed 4 other teams ahead of them.  Fleck will probably leave for a Top 10 job if he can string together a few more 9 win seasons in Mpls.

Purdue is a mystery.  Brohm has gone from the hottest coach in the conference to a big question mark heading into Year 5. They seem to have lost all the momentum and good will they built up in his first two years.  They just dont seem to have enough talent to break thru, and recruiting has slipped to the bottom of the conference again, like it did with hazell.  No a good sign.

Lots of blue sky ahead for Bielema and the Illini.  Expectations are low.  The overall competition is not very strong.  Homegrown Illinois talent is there to be plucked by the new staff.  I see the Illini moving up the ladder quickly, and they wil be fun to watch.  

2 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

PJ Fleck is a solid coach. Bowl win year 2 and year 3. Tied for first in their division last season and this past season was a cluster F among their program w covid outbreaks. I think 1 game they had 30 or 40 guys not dress. 

He just picked up a DT from NC State and a WR from Texas AM along with a LB from Abilene Christian. 

They have their QB, best RB, 2nd and 3rd top WR and a slew of defensive guys coming back. This was a rebuilding year.. They should be solid this year.

Fool’s gold.