Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Which Job is better ? Crown Point or Lake Central

Guest DT

The two biggest schools in the DAC have openings for head football coaches.

Which of the two is a better job?

Crown Point has had more recent success with several sectional championships but has not shown the ability to move on past the regional.

LC has been in a deep downward spiral since parting ways with Brett St Germain.  The schools has a world class high school football facility

If you are an experienced HFC with proven post season success, which program is the quicker fix with the goal of winning the DAC and advancing to semi state.

If you are a young assistant looking at a long term build, which is more appealing?

In the short run, Crown Point is clearly the more “win-ready” of the two. In the long run, Lake Central probably has the higher upside, due primarily to the increasing number of move-ins from Illinois. But it all comes down to the coach. LC also probably will not lose the number of players to Andrean that CP does, when Andrean builds their new facility ... whenever that is going to be.

Edited by Bobref

There are a lot of similarities between the two schools.

- Rapid population growth

- Nice,up to date facilities

- LC and CP lose kids to Parochial schools (Andrean, Mount Carmel, Marian Catholic). I think LC loses more though.(not data driven statement)

- Girls sports very successful, Boys baseball and soccer very good, Boys hoops competitive but not great

- Administrative support and desire to be successful is about the same with a lean towards CP wanting it a bit more.

- Football participation (9-12) about the same

- LC has 3 middle schools and CP has 2

- Good youth programs (Tri Town Raiders - LC, CP Bulldog Football - CP)

I think the pieces are in place at both schools. I'd have to give the edge to CP since they have been more competitive the last 5 years. Having said that, I think LC from a potential perspective is higher. The overall talent at LC in regards to size, speed, and athleticism is better than CP. The problem with LC is many of these kids aren't participating.  If they could get a coach to motivate them to come out and play, LC could and should be a force in NWI.

In watching both of these schools over the last 5 years, my opinion of CP is that their kids play hard and the defense is usually very good. In my opinion, the offensive is where the opportunity exists for new coach. They are not lacking in size but the skill players don't really stand out to me. I don't know if this is a scheme problem, coaching problem or they just don't have high end skill guys. Likely a combination of all three.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

In the two areas (St. John/Crown Point) that are the subject of this post.

Carmel and CG notwithstanding...

Ahh. Gotcha. I lived in Schererville (just north of LC). Lived in CP too. 
CP was quite expensive. It was convenient to many things but just never could call it home. 

1 hour ago, DE said:

Ahh. Gotcha. I lived in Schererville (just north of LC). Lived in CP too. 
CP was quite expensive. It was convenient to many things but just never could call it home. 

Marion County’s cost of living index is 83.9, while Lake County’s is 86.6.  For comparison purposes, Carmel is a little over 113, while Crown Point is 98.2.

Lets assume for kicks and giggles that Phil Mason is the coach whom both schools have identified as their #1 target.

Mason's background and accomplishments are well known.

If you are Mason, looking at the last job of your coaching career, which do you pick?  CP or LC?  Lets assume the compensation is the same at both schools.

Edited by DT

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

That’s easy. CP is more ready to win now. LC is a real project.

How so? If I'm Mason, who both schools should be targeting, I view LC as the place I'll get better athletes. The guy one quickly at Michigan City. I'm betting it wouldn't take him long to turn LC around. I'm also betting LC wouldn't lose as many players to Andrean and the Illinois Catholics if they were routinely a legiitimate contender in the 6A North and/or have D1 coaches paying attentiont to their roster. 

I was a little caught off guard by RegionFBFan's comments regarding Marian Catholic. I knew LC kids were going to Chicago Mt. Carmel, but I had no idea they would head west on 30 to Chicago Heights for a school that's not an athletic juggernaut in the East Suburban Catholic. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

How so? If I'm Mason, who both schools should be targeting, I view LC as the place I'll get better athletes. The guy one quickly at Michigan City. I'm betting it wouldn't take him long to turn LC around. I'm also betting LC wouldn't lose as many players to Andrean and the Illinois Catholics if they were routinely a legiitimate contender in the 6A North and/or have D1 coaches paying attentiont to their roster. 

I was a little caught off guard by RegionFBFan's comments regarding Marian Catholic. I knew LC kids were going to Chicago Mt. Carmel, but I had no idea they would head west on 30 to Chicago Heights for a school that's not an athletic juggernaut in the East Suburban Catholic. 

Has happened for years. (Marian)

Good question on Mason wanting to take on a project at this stage of career, possibly not. LC cultural change needed but does administration want it and support it? 

Maybe wrong word used regarding cultural fit at CP, I don't see CP administration and Mason fitting stylistically or philosophically period. I would be shocked on CP move but not LC. Not a knock on either Mason or CP, just not a good fit.

Maybe guys like Hanover Central’s Brian Parker (a CP grad, I believe) or Rick Good of Calumet will be interested in these openings. Both good coaches at smaller schools.

I think Mason would do well at LC. He wouldn’t fit in “culturally” per se at CP. 

LC has been broken since they got rid of Elmer 20 years ago. CP has the quicker upside. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. Opportunity for both programs to things to the next level.