Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Which Job is better ? Crown Point or Lake Central

Guest DT

14 hours ago, DT said:

LC might be willing to cede full control to a new coach if they have confidence he can deliver the desired results.  The last few coaches have been career assistants who had no prior record of success in the HFC position.  

I would also think that LC would like to see a ROI in the money they spent on that fabulous football facility.  The stadium should be a powerful draw for a coach looking to run a big 6A program

Why, specifically?

I just like the Crown Point community over Tri-Town.  I think that translates into more support, etc. and the need to make the team as good as it can be.

41 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I just like the Crown Point community over Tri-Town.  I think that translates into more support, etc. and the need to make the team as good as it can be.

1 community pulling the rope in the same direction, as opposed to 3 communities possibly pulling the rope in other directions.

• Like 1

With the right coach and staff both programs could be be good.  Maybe CP better job at this point for next year as they could compete more quickly.  People talking about Mason...should be talking about Roy Richards as possibility as well.  I don't disagree that City will have a decent team next year with some returners coming back, but to place them as a the conference leader I think is premature.  Even with losing some players, Valpo and Mville will still be tough to beat.  Mville has best talent in conference,  Valpo has not  lost in over 21 games.  Chesterton has their star quarterback back I believe.  And Laporte was much improved by end of year with a talented junior class.  Do not count them out.  They will be tough.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jim Beaver said:

With the right coach and staff both programs could be be good.  Maybe CP better job at this point for next year as they could compete more quickly.  People talking about Mason...should be talking about Roy Richards as possibility as well.  I don't disagree that City will have a decent team next year with some returners coming back, but to place them as a the conference leader I think is premature.  Even with losing some players, Valpo and Mville will still be tough to beat.  Mville has best talent in conference,  Valpo has not  lost in over 21 games.  Chesterton has their star quarterback back I believe.  And Laporte was much improved by end of year with a talented junior class.  Do not count them out.  They will be tough.

Roy Richards would be a great hire for either school. Did a tremendous job at Morton and was also the AD there I believe. As for the other stuff, I didn’t mean to insinuate that Valpo or Merrillville won’t be competitive next year, but with the level of talent both programs are losing, they will undoubtedly take a step back. I honestly believe Valpo was overrated this year to begin with, their regular season streak would’ve ended this season had they played Merrillville. In my opinion, the de facto DAC title game will likely be between Chesterton and City next season. If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on one of those teams winning the DAC in 2021.

6 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Roy Richards would be a great hire for either school.

Known Coach Richards for a long time. Great coach, and a better person. I hope the way he left Morton doesn’t make either of these schools shy away from him if he’s interested. Because he’s a quality coach who, with the right program, could do wonders. He’s the one that made Morton a “destination” school for football players in Hammond’s open enrollment.

39 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Known Coach Richards for a long time. Great coach, and a better person. I hope the way he left Morton doesn’t make either of these schools shy away from him if he’s interested. Because he’s a quality coach who, with the right program, could do wonders. He’s the one that made Morton a “destination” school for football players in Hammond’s open enrollment.

Not so sure that Richards can connect with the rich pampered suburban kids at LC and CP  like he did with the blue collar kids at Morton.

Just a gut feel.  And its been quite a while since he has been in charge.

Just now, DT said:

Not so sure that Richards can connect with the rich pampered suburban kids at LC and CP  like he did with the blue collar kids at Morton.

Just a gut feel.  And its been quite a while since he has been in charge.

Kirk Kennedy would be an interesting hire for CP.  It would signal an all in mentality for football and feel a bit like the Bret Bielema hiring at Illinois.  Both guys are smash mouth coaches who want to run the football down your throat.  Chip surely knows Kirk well.  Hmmmmmmm

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Kirk Kennedy would be an interesting hire for CP.  It would signal an all in mentality for football and feel a bit like the Bret Bielema hiring at Illinois.  Both guys are smash mouth coaches who want to run the football down your throat.  Chip surely knows Kirk well.  Hmmmmmmm

Chip has been the Superintendent of the Duneland School Corp. for about a year and a half now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Chip has been the Superintendent of the Duneland School Corp. for about a year and a half now.

Did not know that.  Extremely impressive career path for him.  The All American Boy!

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Did not know that.  Extremely impressive career path for him.  The All American Boy!

I remember working games when Chip played. He was always one of my favorite coaches. Very, very smart guy. But the real All American boy was a guy named Brian Dowling. Look him up sometime.

Edited by Bobref

5 minutes ago, DT said:

When I was starting high school at St. Ed’s in Cleveland, Dowling had just finished at our rival, St. Ignatius. His name was spoken in hushed tones. 56 years later, he still holds the Ohio high school record for career interceptions ... by 6! Carmen Cozza, the legendary Yale coach, tells a story that during the waning moments of the famous Harvard - Yale tie in 1968 — one of the greatest games in college football history — when Harvard was mounting a furious comeback, Dowling begged to be put in on defense. Cozza said he didn’t do it because he didn’t want to humiliate the kid playing safety, because Dowling hadn’t played defense all year. But, having said that, Cozza said he was 100% certain that if he had put Dowling in, he would have found a way to win the ball game. Of course, he was also an honors student, homecoming king, played pro football, etc. But his greatest claim to fame is he was used by his Yale classmate, Gary Trudeau, as the model for “BD” in the comic strip, “Doonesbury.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Haven’t heard anything. Man, I loved those Lowell teams!

Do you think he could recreate the Lowell magic with todays Crown Point kids?

My niece was CP Female Athlete of the Year in 2018-2019 so I know what they can do over there when they commit themselves to a sport

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Do you think he could recreate the Lowell magic with todays Crown Point kids?

I don’t think anyone can recreate magic these days anywhere by having a tailback to give the ball to 30 times, a fullback with a butt an axe handle wide, and a willingness to run iso up the middle until the opponent’s mike wishes he had never been born. It’s a different game today.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t think anyone can recreate magic these days anywhere by having a tailback to give the ball to 30 times, a fullback with a butt an axe handle wide, and a willingness to run iso up the middle until the opponent’s mike wishes he had never been born. It’s a different game today.

Kennedy had 500 boys roaming the halls at Lowell.  He would have 1500 at Crown Point.  Todays kids are bigger, stronger and faster than they were ten years ago.  I think he could find the personnel he requires to play his type of game at CP

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Kennedy had 500 boys roaming the halls at Lowell.  He would have 1500 at Crown Point.  Todays kids are bigger, stronger and faster than they were ten years ago.  I think he could find the personnel he requires to play his type of game at CP

Kids don’t want to play that way anymore.

2 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Backstory? I’ve always wondered why he left. 

Not for me to say. What I will say is I’ve known him a long time as a coach. He really cares about those kids. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1