Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

"New" Conference Indiana

Guest DT

On 12/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, southend said:

The rivalry started when Myron moriority  was hired at south from up north. He was a star athlete at St Joseph in Rensselaer. Then coached up north at lake central, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe not. But anyway he came to Bloomington and went up against his high school coach at Martinsville.  Was a big rivalry game for several years, with both programs producing multiple all state players and D1 recruits. Bloomington north never has had the coaching to create a good rivalry. They came into existence in ‘74. So martinsville was always the challenge for Bloomington High School up to that point in football and basketball. Not so much now. 

I can attest the game isn’t nearly what it was when Bill Siderwisz/ Moriarity we’re on the sidelines. To a lesser extent when Joey was coaching.

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

Math failed me as my proposal would leave the Mid-North League with 7.  I did forget about Tech in Indianapolis, but never felt they were the right fit.  So, there’s Western and West Lafayette (although they’re probably content in the Hoosier), so there’s also Westfield or potentially Pike or Noblesville.

Harrison and McCutcheon both were members of the Hoosier back in the late-20th century.  Harrison racked up conference titles in over a third of the seasons that they were a member.

10 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Also, a better way to reduce the travel times for the Lafayette schools would be to move Richmond and Marian to the Hoosier Heritage Conference.

Richmond, Muncie Central, and Anderson are some pretty lengthy bus rides from Tippecanoe County.  Marion and Tech aren’t terrible, but not trips that are easy to make on a weeknight.

The tradition and history of the NCC will keep schools like Kokomo and Logansport from leaving.  Football has never been the focus of the NCC, but the current alignment and schedule format really doesn’t benefit very many of the teams.  The non-revenue sports are not very competitive either.

I don’t think the 10 or 12 team conferences have worked out very well. This past season showed what schedule flexibility (mostly out of necessity rather than choice) could look like and there were several interesting matchups that wouldn’t normally happen.  AD’s hate the prospect of 6 or 7 team conferences because they see it as more work to schedule non-conference games.  Personally, I think 6, 7, or 8 teams in a conference is good for high school sports.

I thought for a while that a conference of Kokomo, Logansport, Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, and West Lafayette would be a nice combination with relatively limited travel.  It would also leave some openings in the schedule for Kokomo and Logan to keep the traditional rivalries with schools like Marion.

The eastern schools of the NCC could combine with a few of the larger schools in east central Indiana and two from the Hoosier Heritage.   That conference could include Marion, Mississinewa, Anderson, Yorktown, Delta, Muncie Central, Jay County, and Richmond.

The Hoosier Heritage would then have 6 teams with Pendleton, New Castle, Mount Vernon, Greenfield, New Pal, and Shelbyville.  They wanted 8 teams when they went after New Castle.  Maybe they look at a school like Beech Grove to fill one of those spots.

Note: absolutely none of this will ever happen.

Edited by HoopsCoach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

I thought for a while that a conference of Kokomo, Logansport, Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, and West Lafayette would be a nice combination with relatively limited travel.  It would also leave some openings in the schedule for Kokomo and Logan to keep the traditional rivalries with schools like Marion.

I would add Arsenal Tech to this group. 

10 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Richmond, Muncie Central, and Anderson are some pretty lengthy bus rides from Tippecanoe County.  Marion and Tech aren’t terrible, but not trips that are easy to make on a weeknight.

The tradition and history of the NCC will keep schools like Kokomo and Logansport from leaving.  Football has never been the focus of the NCC, but the current alignment and schedule format really doesn’t benefit very many of the teams.  The non-revenue sports are not very competitive either.

I don’t think the 10 or 12 team conferences have worked out very well. This past season showed what schedule flexibility (mostly out of necessity rather than choice) could look like and there were several interesting matchups that wouldn’t normally happen.  AD’s hate the prospect of 6 or 7 team conferences because they see it as more work to schedule non-conference games.  Personally, I think 6, 7, or 8 teams in a conference is good for high school sports.

The eastern schools of the NCC could combine with a few of the larger schools in east central Indiana and two from the Hoosier Heritage.   That conference could include Marion, Mississinewa, Anderson, Yorktown, Delta, Muncie Central, Jay County, and Richmond.

The Hoosier Heritage would then have 6 teams with Pendleton, New Castle, Mount Vernon, Greenfield, New Pal, and Shelbyville.  They wanted 8 teams when they went after New Castle.  Maybe they look at a school like Beech Grove to fill one of those spots.

Note: absolutely none of this will ever happen.

Great points, and sadly, none of our schemes will come to fruition.  It is fun to plan it out, though

12 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

New Castle did leave the NCC, though, so anything can happen. Fuel costs are a thing. 

A big thing.  I like things more centralized.  Maybe one out of area game per season, but keeping in local is the right thing to do.

Football is what drove Jeff out of the NCC and into the HCC.  So it likely will be football again that is the driving force behind their decision to make a move.  Similar to Penn and the NIC, the NCC is a drag on the program and stymies its competitive development.  Jeff must make a move to another conference or go independent if it ever expects to break out of the no mans land it currently occupies.

Jeff clearly is willing and open to travel, s long as the opposing school will reciprocate and come to Lafayette.

I believe the time will come when Jeff will take the bull by the horns and lead a remaking of Conference Indiana , which will likely include the bigger schools in the Circle City.  It could be 8, 10 or 12 schools.  It may or may not have divisions.  It may or may not include sister schools Harrison and McCutcheon.  

Jeff

THS

THN

BS

BN

CN

SP

Tech

Guerin

Chatard

Roncalli

Brebeuf

11 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

I would add Arsenal Tech to this group. 

If Tech contributed anything positive to the conference, they might be worth consideration.  They really don’t though.  Boys basketball is the only sport they are even competitive in, which is why they fit with the schools in the eastern half of the NCC.  They struggle to field JV and freshman teams in several sports and they have a ton of turnover in their student athletes and coaching staff.  There was some discussion in the last few years of pushing for Tech to leave the NCC, but it hasn’t happened.  They could get better in football with Chambers coaching (still don’t know how the kid from Howe ended up at Covenant Christian instead of Tech).  Their drop in enrollment, which will continue, makes a move back to a conference of Indianapolis public schools a better fit for them (Attucks, Shortridge, Tech, Washington).  The Terre Haute schools might be competitive in that conference as a 6 team league, and they have some history with an Indy area conference from their time in the MIC.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, foxbat said:

I think @HoopsCoach is correct in that, since Harrison and McCutcheon are the two high schools of TSC, with Harrison on the north side of the county and McCutcheon on the south side, they tend to be more of a package deal. 

Hence the real need for TSC to consolidate into one 9-12 high school.  Just think of the athletic possibilities!

9 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Sounds like a lot less opportunity in athletics. 

Just think of all the lost athletic opportunities at the likes of Carmel, Ben Davis, Warren Central,  North Central, etc.    Where is the community outcry to split up these behemoths for the cause of more extracurricular opportunities?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Just think of all the lost athletic opportunities at the likes of Carmel, Ben Davis, Warren Central,  North Central, etc.    Where is the community outcry to split up these behemoths for the cause of more extracurricular opportunities?

And you don’t see the good folks of Tippecanoe County begging to consolidate schools to chase trophy’s. 

3 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

A lot of us in the old Hoosier Conference would like to see TSC build a 3rd if not 4th high school and rejoin the Hoosier Conference.  

The long rumored East Tipp High School.  Currently, there are three middle schools that feed into each of the two TSC high schools.  Battle Ground, East Tipp, and Klondike go to Harrison (northern half of Tippecanoe County) and Southwestern, Wainwright, and Wea Ridge go to McCutcheon (southern half of the county).  They could easily be split to have Klondike and Battle Ground stay at Harrison, Southwestern and Wea Ridge stay at McCutcheon, and East Tipp and Wainwright would go to the new East Tipp High School.  Enrollments would be roughly 1550-1600 at Harrison, 1500-1550 at McCutcheon, and the East Tipp HS a little over 1000.  Each of those would be bigger than any of the current members of the Hoosier Conference, which ranges from 300-800 students.

It is easier and cheaper to build onto an existing school than it is to build a new additional school.  TSC will just continue to expand Harrison and McCutcheon rather than build another high school.

7 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

The long rumored East Tipp High School.  Currently, there are three middle schools that feed into each of the two TSC high schools.  Battle Ground, East Tipp, and Klondike go to Harrison (northern half of Tippecanoe County) and Southwestern, Wainwright, and Wea Ridge go to McCutcheon (southern half of the county).  They could easily be split to have Klondike and Battle Ground stay at Harrison, Southwestern and Wea Ridge stay at McCutcheon, and East Tipp and Wainwright would go to the new East Tipp High School.  Enrollments would be roughly 1550-1600 at Harrison, 1500-1550 at McCutcheon, and the East Tipp HS a little over 1000.  Each of those would be bigger than any of the current members of the Hoosier Conference, which ranges from 300-800 students.

It is easier and cheaper to build onto an existing school than it is to build a new additional school.  TSC will just continue to expand Harrison and McCutcheon rather than build another high school.

And did not the Wainright building used to be a high school in it's distant past?  It could be one again.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

And did not the Wainright building used to be a high school in it's distant past?  It could be one again.

All 6 of the TSC middle schools were high schools (although not all were in the current buildings) prior to consolidation in the 60’s and 70’s.  There are certainly facilities within the eastern part of the district that could be added onto for a “new” high school.  Wyandotte Elementary is a newer building that would be a perfect location about midway between East Tipp and Wainwright.  If the school district was going to add another high school they needed to do it 5-10 years ago.  The housing growth in the northern and eastern part of the county is pretty substantial, which is why they are building onto Harrison now.  They could be around 2400 students within the next 5-10 years.  McCutcheon’s growth on the south side of the county hasn’t been as rapid in recent years.