Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mike Kirschner named HC at Warren Central

10 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

If you’re laughing at the fact that DT thinks WC’s best days are behind them and Kirschner will guide them to a championship, then I’m laughing with you.

I guess your best team in school history getting curb stomped by Roncalli in the tournament tends to change your priorities.

I wish him well but “coach speak” needs it’s own dictionary these days.

In 2017, he needed a break from “the grind” and wanted to “work with smaller numbers of kids.”

I like Mike and have never heard anyone utter a negative word about him.  I wish him well.  Home run hire for WC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

I guess your best team in school history getting curb stomped by Roncalli in the tournament tends to change your priorities.

I wish him well but “coach speak” needs it’s own dictionary these days.

In 2017, he needed a break from “the grind” and wanted to “work with smaller numbers of kids.”

I like Mike and have never heard anyone utter a negative word about him.  I wish him well.  Home run hire for WC.

I think you’re being a little too cynical here. For some guys coaching their alma mater is a dream. Seems that way here. I wouldn’t read into it anymore than that. 

Edited by scarab527
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I think you’re being a little too cynical here. For some guys coaching their alma mater is a dream. Seems that way here. I wouldn’t read into it anymore than that. 

Could absolutely be true.

Guess I’m more of an old school “till death do us part” kinda guy.

People’s words don’t expire in my world, do they in yours?

The numbers/“grind” are the same on the east side of Indy as they are on the west side.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Could absolutely be true.

Guess I’m more of an old school “till death do us part” kinda guy.

People’s words don’t expire in my world, do they in yours?

The numbers/“grind” are the same on the east side of Indy as they are on the west side.

Generally I don’t fault coaches, or anyone for that matter, for leaving one job to go to another they feel is better for them. Yes I don’t like people going back on their word, but circumstances can change in 3 years, it’s a little unfair to expect someone to feel the same way now as they did then. Coach Kirschner might’ve gotten from MV the break he needed at the time, he could’ve realized he missed the grind of the MIC and working with a larger number of kids. I’m sure he has his reasons, and as you’ve been alluding to, I don’t doubt that winning in the tournament is part of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Generally I don’t fault coaches, or anyone for that matter, for leaving one job to go to another they feel is better for them. Yes I don’t like people going back on their word, but circumstances can change in 3 years, it’s a little unfair to expect someone to feel the same way now as they did then. Coach Kirschner might’ve gotten from MV the break he needed at the time, he could’ve realized he missed the grind of the MIC and working with a larger number of kids. I’m sure he has his reasons, and as you’ve been alluding to, I don’t doubt that winning in the tournament is part of it. 

Yes he could have gotten the break from the grind at MV. Yes he could have missed the grind of the MIC. Honestly who knows. In all honesty no matter how much of a break from the grind a Coach wants, when they have the opportunity to be the Head Coach at their Alma Mater (especially a Alma Mater that is at the highest level) most coaches would jump at that opportunity regardless of circumstances.

4 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Just wish that folks would speak the truth and unfiltered...the young kids at BD, Mount Vernon and Warren deserve it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

Best of luck to Coach Kirschner. People I respect in football have had nothing but the best to say about him and his programs. 

If I were a head coach, I could definitely see the appeal of returning to your Alma Mater to finish your career.

Same here.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just wish that folks would speak the truth and unfiltered...the young kids at BD, Mount Vernon and Warren deserve it.

Who says he didn't speak the truth and didn't keep it unfiltered. He didn't leave Mt. Vernon to go to Carmel another MIC school. He left Mt. Vernon to coach at the place he played football Warren Central. What he said was probably absolutely the truth, but when Warren Central came open a place he played at himself it probably felt fitting to him to be HC at his dream job. Doesn't mean he was untruthful. Just means something (his dream job) came open at a time that was fitting for him. I don't believe for a second he makes his decisions to make you or anyone else happy for that matter. He makes decisions on what he personally wants to do. Coaching at his Alma Mater I would think would be his absolute dream job.

Edited by FastpacedO

3 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Who says he didn't speak the truth and didn't keep it unfiltered. He didn't leave Mt. Vernon to go to Carmel another MIC school. He left Mt. Vernon to coach at the place he played football Warren Central. What he said was probably absolutely the truth, but when Warren Central came open a place he played at himself it probably felt fitting to him to be HC at his dream job. Doesn't mean he was untruthful. Just means something (his dream job) came open at a time that was fitting for him. I don't believe for a second he makes his decisions to make you or anyone else happy for that matter. He makes decisions on what he personally wants to do. Coaching at his Alma Mater I would think would be his absolute dream job.

Then why do people get so outraged when college coaches do this exact same thing?

It’s about the kids...until it’s not.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

Then why do people get so outraged when college coaches do this exact same thing?

It’s about the kids...until it’s not.

I think it comes down to the fact that college coaches make promises to recruits that high school coaches obviously do not make. I don’t think that comparison works here. 
Edit: For transparency I personally don’t care if a college coach leaves for a better job either. 

Edited by scarab527
  • Like 2

I am very happy for Mike Kirschner and for his wife Terry. They are high school sweethearts, and they now get to be back at the alma mater. Mike is a first-rate and first class individual who is exactly the person you think he is. I have nothing but high regard for him as a man, a father, a coach, and, most importantly, a friend. His heart is as big as his personality, and I'm truly pleased he's going to get a shot to lead the Warriors after a coaching career that has truly brought him full circle. Warren as an assistant to Cascade to Ben Davis to Mount Vernon...now back to Warren again. 

Nothing but respect and admiration from this Giant. Mike's a True Warrior. We just borrowed him for a few years. He'll always also be a Giant to me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I think it comes down to the fact that college coaches make promises to recruits that high school coaches obviously do not make. I don’t think that comparison works here. 
Edit: For transparency I personally don’t care if a college coach leaves for a better job either. 

Kids at BD and Warren need positive male role models in their lives more so than ever/any district in Indiana.  

The comparison does not work from a “choosing where to play football” standpoint as most kids attend the district in which they live.  

However, many of these kids would run through a wall for their COACHES, not their school.  Most college football players commit to a COACH, not a school.  While I don’t recommend this method and it has backfired on many, it’s a fact of life.

If I were a young player at BD, MV or Warren, I’d be pretty damn skeptical of the next guy coming in as many adults (in their home lives as well as in education/athletics) are making promises they just can’t keep anymore.

22 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

It's really no different than probably what brought Stan Benge back to Ben Davis in girls basketball. Stan not only won championships here, but he's a Ben Davis Alumnus. BD is home. Warren is home for Mike.

I didn’t realize Stan was back at Ben Davis.  I’m sure that ferocious defense he brings will be rolling soon.