Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Financial Issues for Athletic Department's next season

How do we think the lack of money is going to have a strain on athletic departments next season? Football is the backbone of the athletic department financially and with the past season I would think most athletic departments did not make money. Any chance games get changed because of travel expense? What is everyone's thoughts.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DE said:

Yes. And I offered solutions. Did you read it?  Did you offer suggestions?  Didn’t think so. 

The question was about lost athletic department revenue from this season. No one was talking about covid next season. I feel bad that a cranky old man like yourself has such trouble with reading comprehension. I didn’t offer any solutions because I don’t think this will be a problem. 

• Disdain 1

4 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

The question was about lost athletic department revenue from this season. No one was talking about covid next season. I feel bad that a cranky old man like yourself has such trouble with reading comprehension. I didn’t offer any solutions because I don’t think this will be a problem. 

Sorry that this "cranky old man" is correct, Junior.  

5 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

You didn't offer a solution b/c you wouldn't have the slightest idea how to fix it.

Sit this one out Junior.

Just now, DE said:

You didn't offer a solution b/c you wouldn't have the slightest idea how to fix it.

Sit this one out Junior.

All you did was parrot something you heard a talking head say on the news. The more I see you post, the more I’m convinced there’s not a single original thought in your senile brain. 

• Disdain 1

Now is the time for a sincere response.

There were some ideas that we got from the pandemic that should remains.  Gates should be cashless.  Pre purchase tickets online and get a QP code to be scanned at the games. Possibly the same with concessions.

I don't know if there is a set price for football tickets throughout the state.  Maybe reduce the price by a buck or two and get people in the seats.

Be nice to see how creative school with get with promotions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

Any chance games get changed because of travel expense? What is everyone's thoughts.  

Isn't that a question about the future/next season?

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

The question was about lost athletic department revenue from this season. No one was talking about covid next season.

And it's impact on the coming season.

Agree or not, DE's response addressed the original question with a suggestion about how to get more butts in the stands, to increase revenue and hopefully avoid cost-cutting measures. Did it not?

4 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Agree or not, DE's response addressed the original question with a suggestion about how to get more butts in the stands, to increase revenue and hopefully avoid cost-cutting measures. Did it not?

That was my exact reason.  I am trying to stay away from the Covid topic, but in reality, it is at the heart of the matter.

9 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

In normal businesses past revenue affect future decision therefore I think what he was getting was is anything affected by lack of revenue from last year? I don’t know if schools have lines of credit to fund operations like a normal business would.

6 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Getting the average amount of fans back you would’ve expected this year next year will not recoup the losses of this year. The only way to do that will be to draw fans to cover next year and the losses of this year. His proposals do nothing to address that. 

3 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Gates should be cashless.  Pre purchase tickets online and get a QP code to be scanned at the games. Possibly the same with concessions.

There is an initial and ongoing expense to setting such a system up.  If for one do not support a cashless society.

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

My guess is there are a few programs; especially ones that just scrape by financially from year to year may have issues as far as funding and travel expenses. I hope we will not see programs deciding to not play next season. We will see. 

Contraction is the answer for many cash strapped aschools

4 hours ago, scarab527 said:

His proposals do nothing to address that. 

How so? Loosening restrictions and limitations will put more fans in the stands, right? With enough butts in the stands, couldn't that potentially cover the 2021 season and at least in part "pay back" some of the losses in the 2020 season? 

Another approach--For most schools, football is the only "money making" sport and a number of other sports are funded at least in part by football revenue. I suppose administrators will do what they can in most cases to continue to fund the "money maker" in hopes of recouping some revenue loss, and if that approach leads to some cuts in funding for other sports, that will be the approach a lot of schools will have to use.

4 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Getting the average amount of fans back you would’ve expected this year next year will not recoup the losses of this year. The only way to do that will be to draw fans to cover next year and the losses of this year. His proposals do nothing to address that. 

You’re not going to recoup the loss. It’s ridiculous to think you can. You may have to trim some fat to get through the next couple of years, no new equipment purchases, for example.  But you hope to have paid attendance the same as before the pandemic. You can’t expect anything more.

As for the first part, I took the original question asking how schools approach the upcoming season, and not asking how the season will go on, or how to get through it.  Planning ahead for some may mean limiting travel; although travel expenses are a separate fund for districts. As Stax said, money has already been lost and will not be recouped; so, while in season ideas might help; getting off the ground is the issue. Again, I assumed this was the gist of the question asked in the OP. There are expenses that are incurred for football yearly. Helmets and shoulder pads have a 5 year life span and have to rotated out of use. Helmets that are used in a season MUST be reconditioned annually. I am not sure, but I think shoulder pads must be as well. We typically see around 5 helmets that are rejected in that process. 

16 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Now is the time for a sincere response.

There were some ideas that we got from the pandemic that should remains.  Gates should be cashless.  Pre purchase tickets online and get a QP code to be scanned at the games. Possibly the same with concessions.

I don't know if there is a set price for football tickets throughout the state.  Maybe reduce the price by a buck or two and get people in the seats.

Be nice to see how creative school with get with promotions.

Promote early online tickets, but do not remove the cashless gates.  Many people decide at the last minute whether to go to a game and which game to go to.  Many people still find it a hassle of online purchases and many people still worry about the security of online purchases.  I would not like lose any ticket sales right now.

Habits learned this year will carry forward.  ADs need to negotiate a cut from streaming services if they arent already.  my butt will be in a seat but many enjoyed watching on their big screen.

Alternatively, there doesn’t seem to be a downside to printing money and giving it to any poorly managed ADs across the country.  So... we got that going for us... which is nice.

• Like 1