Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

fl ok

Purdue Pete

Question

9 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

That was the worst offensive pass interference no call I’ve ever seen.  Shallow cross and bob stoops’ kid set a moving screen on the defender.  Horrible.

The one explanation that I did not buy was that the ball was caught behind the LOS. I don’t think it was. 
I think what may have been the consideration is that two other defenders were there to cover the guy at the point of the catch, and that the guy that Stoops picked was too far behind him (burnt). I am not firm on any of these. I will need to find a clip of the play to watch more. 

36 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The one explanation that I did not buy was that the ball was caught behind the LOS. I don’t think it was. 
I think what may have been the consideration is that two other defenders were there to cover the guy at the point of the catch, and that the guy that Stoops picked was too far behind him (burnt). I am not firm on any of these. I will need to find a clip of the play to watch more. 

Agree ...  the behind the LOS explanation was WEAK.  The “pickee” was trailing by a few yards.  If it was BBall stoops for sure would’ve been called for the foul.

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Did the referee announce that or was that speculation from the announcers? They will often give the block a healthy yard beyond the LOS so they aren't too technical on that aspect of the foul. The location of the defender in relation to the receiver is not relevant if the offensive player was blocking downfield before the pass ends. The only exception would be if the block happened on one side of the field as the ball is going to the other side. That doesn't sound like this situation though.

7 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Did the referee announce that or was that speculation from the announcers? They will often give the block a healthy yard beyond the LOS so they aren't too technical on that aspect of the foul. The location of the defender in relation to the receiver is not relevant if the offensive player was blocking downfield before the pass ends. The only exception would be if the block happened on one side of the field as the ball is going to the other side. That doesn't sound like this situation though.

It was John Parry, the former official who chimes in on replays who said it was behind the LOS. The rest is just my speculation. 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:42 PM, Irishman said:

It was John Parry, the former official who chimes in on replays who said it was behind the LOS. The rest is just my speculation. 

John is as good as they get so if he said it was behind the LOS I would tend to believe him. On plays like this there are so many different aspect at play and there is no one official who would have all the information needed. Where was the potential OPI in relation to the LOS? Was it the offensive player initiating contact or the defensive player? When is the ball released in relation to the contact? It what direction was the ball thrown? Where was the ball first touched in relation to the neutral zone? Each of those will impact if there was or wasn't a foul for OPI. If the ball was first touched in or behind the neutral zone (and don't be too technical on that especially if it's an intended screen pass caught very close to the LOS) then everything else doesn't matter for OPI.

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I tried editing it, but a 49 second clip is too large to upload here......All bets are off though because the ball was caught behind the line of scrimmage. There are 3 different views in the original play and the two replays. Fast forward to about the 5:22 of this link. 
https://youtu.be/5Vjr7AMEWls 

Thanks. That is definitely caught behind the LOS as most screen passes are. No chance for OPI on a play like this. It's possible a deep official would flag blocking downfield on a play like this because he has no idea where the ball is caught. He will check with the LOS officials and ask them where the ball was touched. That's why you see officials to huddle after a play. Each person is providing facts that build to the determination of what needs to be ruled or different officials have completely different angles on the same play. Angles are often much more important than distance.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JustRules said:

Thanks. That is definitely caught behind the LOS as most screen passes are. No chance for OPI on a play like this. It's possible a deep official would flag blocking downfield on a play like this because he has no idea where the ball is caught. He will check with the LOS officials and ask them where the ball was touched. That's why you see officials to huddle after a play. Each person is providing facts that build to the determination of what needs to be ruled or different officials have completely different angles on the same play. Angles are often much more important than distance.

I can’t emphasize enough to the non-officials out there: when you see the crew huddle like that, it is NOT a sign of uncertainty. It is good crew communication and mechanics. Plays are sometimes like puzzles. They have to be put together one piece at a time. 

• Like 1