Muda69

NCAA basketball coaches among 10 charged with fraud and corruption

I think Muda has a point here. Otherwise, why even have The NCAA organization.

Yahoo! has dropped a bomb:  Exclusive: Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools: https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.

Yahoo Sports viewed hundreds of pages of documents from the years-long probe that had federal authorities monitoring multiple targets and intercepting more than 4,000 calls across 330 days, providing a clear-eyed view into the pervasive nature of the game’s underground economy.

While three criminal cases tied to the investigation may take years to play out, the documents viewed by Yahoo revealed the extent of the potential NCAA ramifications from the case. The documents show an underground recruiting operation that could create NCAA rules issues – both current and retroactive – for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players.

The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars.

NCAA president Mark Emmert released a statement Friday morning to address the latest developments in the corruption probe.

It's a pretty damning article, with supporting documentation.  

Second round was also pretty juicie effecting IU in a number of ways....... hopefully the situation with Sean at Arizona doesn't weigh on Archie too much moving into the Big 10 tourney and potentially the NIT. Seems like Crean and IU will be ok from the standpoint if Chuck Martin's involvement.... Does it look good? No but point is Neither OG or Thomas signed with ASM and Bowen ended up at U of L meaning they were the ones that were involved with money..... Martin should have never met with him BUT still looks like IU should come out with little to no issues.Should finally shut up the last of the Tom Crean supporters in Bloomington tho! Like I said doesn't surprise me Crean couldn't control his players let alone assistant coaches SMH! 

It just keeps getting better: https://deadspin.com/report-adidas-allegedly-funneled-money-to-families-of-1829670845

The more reports you read from the ongoing wire fraud case against three Adidas representatives, the more it becomes obvious that the world of basketball recruiting is churning with cash, such that the only reason anyone inside of it could conceivably resist paying college athletes officially is to protect a lot of under-the-table cash going to a whole reeking galaxy of coaches and advisors and consultants and influence-peddlers.

Today’s big development came from the testimony of ex-Adidas “consultant” T.J. Gassnola, who was called as a government witness and said that he made payments to the families of Suns rookie DeAndre Ayton and second-year Mavericks guard Dennis Smith Jr., along with several other notable college players. While the dollar amounts of those transactions haven’t yet been discussed, Gassnola reportedly corroborated the testimony from last week of Brian Bowen Sr., who said that Adidas funneled $25,000 his way in exchange for his son affiliating with Adidas-backed AAU programs and committing to Louisville.

Gassnola testified that he agreed to pay $25,000 to the family of Brian Bowen Jr. for their son to play for the Adidas-sponsored Michigan Mustangs grassroots program. Dawkins had first informed Gassnola the family was interested in leaving their current program and playing for a different one, but the family “needed $25,000 to make that move.”

“I told [Dawkins] I would get it done and take care of it,” Gassnola told the jury.

Gassnola said he sent $7,000 in cash in a magazine to the Bowen family, while Adidas executive Chris Rivers “took care of the rest of it.”

The families of two Kansas recruits—Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa—are alleged to have received $90,000 and $20,000, respectively, also from Adidas. Assistant coaches at half a dozen major basketball programs, executives at one of the world’s biggest apparel companies, a whole seedy roster of AAU circuits and programs, and a growing list of blue-chip recruits have now been named in testimony. What drives all this business underground is the NCAA’s forced amateurism, which is a labor exploitation racket cynically grafted onto higher education, so that sleazy and unscrupulous nonparticipants can become rich off of it. The trial is bringing some of that into the light, but wouldn’t it be simpler if, instead of forcing the market underground and then hunting around for it in the muck, all the money that’s already changing hands were just, you know, paid to the players who drive the whole business?

Agreed.  I'm hoping the exposure of this whole corrupted affair brings real change to the NCAA.  And players being paid is the highest priority.

Edited by Muda69

53 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

what change to IHSAA ?     Or did you mean NCAA? 

Sorry. Yes I meant the NCAA.   Post has been edited.

Thanks you for pointing that out.

I agree wholeheartedly on this as well.    But as B10 Media was today, Commish Delaney made a great point that there are MANY that are above water and do it the right way and they need to be celebrated as well.