Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Coach Nowlin

Football Draw: SUNDAY Oct. 1st. 11/12 pm ct.

Ihsaa stream online only.   

Draw just a few days away.   Lots of intriguing sectionals and match up as we head into Week 7 already!!    Let the Ping Pong balls do the talking!!  :17_v:

What are you most looking for in your team's draw?    Always exciting times and range of emotions.  I always get that excitement bubbles in your bell when your sectional comes up!!    

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Sports/Boys/Football/StateTournament/tabid/2060/Default.aspx#36792205-tournament-pairings-show

I'm looking forward to seeing who Warren Central gets. I love this time of the season. I can't wait!!! We are the Warren Central Warriors!!!!

Woah, already?!?!?! I thought we had like another week, dang, OK, let's do this!

For me it's all about visiting new places. So if like a shot to play @ North central (Farmersburg)

25 minutes ago, WWFan said:

For me it's all about visiting new places. So if like a shot to play @ North central (Farmersburg)

I 100% agree with you. I hate that the North Vermillion Falcons were put into a WRC regurgitation sectional. Many of my favorite games have been due in part to visiting new places and playing an unfamiliar opponent. 

4 hours ago, WWFan said:

Agreed, hoping we draw Dekalb or Culver Academies, I've never been to to either...Sectional 19 looks to be a brutal one with IFCA 4A #2, #6, #8, #9 and a very good 5-1 Culver Academy, & East Noble on top of Wawasee and Dekalb.

Edited by NRRaider2001

1 hour ago, WWFan said:

Thats going to be me:   First time in my 15 years on the sideline that we are not heading up to Lake/Porter county sectional.   We  have been to Delphi before,  I have coached at Cass in a JV game a few times, but the rest of Sectional 35 will all be new experiences.   

In Hoosier Conference, we have a week 9 crossover game, not sure how it will shake out, but there is a chance that RCHS and Cass could play week 9 and week 10.   UGH.   

Sectional 41 is basically an HNAC conference tournament.  Six of the eight conference teams are in that sectional.  Pioneer is in 42 and Knox is 3A, but the other six - along with South Central and West Central - will duke it out for sectional title.  A lot of rematches and chances to avenge losses!  Should be exciting!

Edited by Fine Print

I hope Webo and Tipton are on opposite sides for they can meet in sectional 38 final

So I am hearing this is online only this year?  Major step backwards for the IHSAA if so.

Ok...so it is true:

Football.JPG

Edited by Titan32

it is and I do not think that is an issue at all

Why do you think its a step back?   

Why pay money to air on TV when you have your own online network?   

I know up in Northwest Indiana, it was never on TV and other IHSAA events not on TV because North of Lafayette is Chicago land market and Fox Sports Indiana is not available on any TV carrier.   I get replays on Fox Sports Pacific of Indiana State Championships.   

45 minutes ago, Jbk2 said:

I hope Webo and Tipton are on opposite sides for they can meet in sectional 38 final

I bet Tipton does too.   They are going to be very TESTED week 9 vs West Lafayette in the Hoosier Conf Crossover game more than likely.   Tipton plays a good Sheridan team this week, an improved Cass team, but from looks of it Tipton should be favored, if they beat Cass and WL beats LCC and TL next 2 weeks then those 2 will square off.   Will be a physical game.  

You talk about a bandwidth nightmare with all the people trying to access the site at once. I can just see it now, your particular sectional comes up and...................buffering..................buffering.............! Good move IHSAA - I'm sure this will go REAL smoothly!! (Insert eye roll) 

Two new teams in our sectional this year with Southport and Perry Meridian. A lot of people assume we are happy about getting BD out of the sectional, but Southport and Perry can say the same thing in regards to Warren Central, also Brownsburg lurking in the bracket hoping for a shot at revenge on their rival no off weeks (except the 1st round lol) could be any ones title to grab this year! 

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I know up in Northwest Indiana, it was never on TV and other IHSAA events not on TV because North of Lafayette is Chicago land market and Fox Sports Indiana is not available on any TV carrier.   I get replays on Fox Sports Pacific of Indiana State Championships.   

I can tell you in the Southwestern part of the state it is widely watched.  At Gibson Southern we typically do a big get together at a local restaurant to watch.  I an an engineer in telecommunications.....and completely understand all the myriad of options you can use to get get online content up on a TV screen.  That said, it is still a huge inconvenience to the masses who might not be as technology savvy.  For many, technology is spelled "IPHONE", for that reason my guess is that huge chunks of folks will be stuck watching this staring down at a screen 5.44 inches long and 2.64 inches wide.  In addition the IHSAA has proven over and over again they have no perception of what the bandwidth requirements are for such an event.  There is a 100% chance the site will crash.  This is a step backwards!

Edited by Titan32
  • Upvote 1

isn't the job of the IHSAA to reach all in the state?   So this way they achieve this. 

Bandwidth concerns are there, no doubt, I guess I am always in the boat of thinking best case scenarios and positive outcomes first and not worry about negative outcomes or worries.  

I guess I trust that IHSAA will put out the stream and will have the tech to back up the masses.   If I am wrong after the fact then so be it, but I choose to believe that it will be fine rather than assume it will go badly.   

16 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

isn't the job of the IHSAA to reach all in the state?   So this way they achieve this. 

Bandwidth concerns are there, no doubt, I guess I am always in the boat of thinking best case scenarios and positive outcomes first and not worry about negative outcomes or worries.  

I guess I trust that IHSAA will put out the stream and will have the tech to back up the masses.   If I am wrong after the fact then so be it, but I choose to believe that it will be fine rather than assume it will go badly.   

Your optimism is legendary and has the flavor of someone concerned the IHSAA might read his comments...LOL (just teasing).  

So, just to be clear, your position is that since the ISHAA can't reach ALL of the state via TV networks,  the solution is to pull completely out of TV?   Here is an outside the box thought.....continue to offer it on TV where you can and then then have the online option available as an alternative.  

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

I have more issue with the time than the format, I don't mind watching it online, I did last year, but I for one am going to be busy at Noon on Sunday. 

I assume their thinking is to put it on leading up to NFL kickoffs at 1:00? Idk. A lot of people would probably like to watch the NFL pregame stuff too.

I would much rather that it come on at 7:00pm leading up to the Sunday night game.

7 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Your optimism is legendary and has the flavor of someone concerned the IHSAA might read his comments...LOL.  

So, just to be clear, your position is that since the ISHAA can't reach ALL of the state via TV networks,  the solution is to pull completely out of TV?   Here is an outside the box thought.....continue to offer it on TV where you can and then then have the online option available as an alternative.  

1st sentence has no merit, none whatsoever.   Is assuming things go wrong a great way to go about daily life?   Not in the world I choose to live.   To each their own

2nd sentence:  The future of TV is in streaming, data, stats have proven that over and over last few years.  Chord Cutters like myself are more the norm.   I still get every channel I could ever imagine and haven't missed 1 sporting event on tv that matter to me.   So I would contest that IHSAA is thinking outside the box and saving boatload of money by housing it on their OWN network and not paying Fox Sports Indiana to put it on in our state where not everyone has an opportunity to have that channel.  Don't worry though, they will have the commentary show on for you to watch on Fox Sports Indiana.   This also streamlines ALL IHSAA sports and tournament parings for all sports, not just football/basketball, which I believe is a good thing for ALL athletes.  

State Tournament Pairings Shows Moving Exclusively to IHSAAtv.org Beginning this school year, all IHSAA state tournament pairings shows, including several new ones, will air exclusively on the Association’s video portal, IHSAAtv.org. For 2017‐18, the IHSAA will stream a total of nine sectional pairings shows. After successfully producing and streaming pairings shows in softball and baseball last May, the IHSAA will expand its schedule to include shows for boys and girls soccer (combined), boys tennis, volleyball, football, girls basketball, boys basketball, girls tennis, softball, and baseball. The football, girls basketball and boys basketball pairings shows will no longer air on Fox Sports Indiana as they have in recent years but instead will be replaced with tournament preview shows featuring highlights of the top teams and players as well as interviews with various coaches from around the state. “We are excited to provide pairings shows for every sport that has a tournament draw,” says Heath Shanahan, Director of Broadcast Operations at the IHSAA. “This is another way for teams to get together, have a team bonding experience, create a tradition, and learn their sectional matchup all at the same time. Thanks in part to our great partners at Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance, we now have the ability to do this on a state‐wide scale.” Upcoming fall pairings shows are scheduled as follows: Boys and Girls Soccer – 9/24/17 at 7 pm ET / 6 CT Boys Tennis – 9/25/17 at 7 pm ET / 6 CT Football – 10/1/17 at 12 pm ET / 11 am CT and simulcast on the IHSAA Champions Radio Network Volleyball – 10/2/17 at 7 pm ET / 6 CT Dates and times for the winter and spring sports will be announced at a later date. Immediately following each show, all sectional pairings will be available online at IHSAA.org.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Online works for us too, no Fox Indiana availability in the South Bend market either

17 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

1st sentence has no merit, none whatsoever.   Is assuming things go wrong a great way to go about daily life?   Not in the world I choose to live.   To each their own

2nd sentence:  The future of TV is in streaming, data, stats have proven that over and over last few years.  Chord Cutters like myself are more the norm.   I still get every channel I could ever imagine and haven't missed 1 sporting event on tv that matter to me.   So I would contest that IHSAA is thinking outside the box and saving boatload of money by housing it on their OWN network and not paying Fox Sports Indiana to put it on in our state where not everyone has an opportunity to have that channel.  Don't worry though, they will have the commentary show on for you to watch on Fox Sports Indiana.   This also streamlines ALL IHSAA sports and tournament parings for all sports, not just football/basketball, which I believe is a good thing for ALL athletes.  

State Tournament Pairings Shows Moving Exclusively to IHSAAtv.org Beginning this school year, all IHSAA state tournament pairings shows, including several new ones, will air exclusively on the Association’s video portal, IHSAAtv.org. For 2017‐18, the IHSAA will stream a total of nine sectional pairings shows. After successfully producing and streaming pairings shows in softball and baseball last May, the IHSAA will expand its schedule to include shows for boys and girls soccer (combined), boys tennis, volleyball, football, girls basketball, boys basketball, girls tennis, softball, and baseball. The football, girls basketball and boys basketball pairings shows will no longer air on Fox Sports Indiana as they have in recent years but instead will be replaced with tournament preview shows featuring highlights of the top teams and players as well as interviews with various coaches from around the state. “We are excited to provide pairings shows for every sport that has a tournament draw,” says Heath Shanahan, Director of Broadcast Operations at the IHSAA. “This is another way for teams to get together, have a team bonding experience, create a tradition, and learn their sectional matchup all at the same time. Thanks in part to our great partners at Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance, we now have the ability to do this on a state‐wide scale.” Upcoming fall pairings shows are scheduled as follows: Boys and Girls Soccer – 9/24/17 at 7 pm ET / 6 CT Boys Tennis – 9/25/17 at 7 pm ET / 6 CT Football – 10/1/17 at 12 pm ET / 11 am CT and simulcast on the IHSAA Champions Radio Network Volleyball – 10/2/17 at 7 pm ET / 6 CT Dates and times for the winter and spring sports will be announced at a later date. Immediately following each show, all sectional pairings will be available online at IHSAA.org.

Sorry...no offense.  I live my life trying avert future issues.  It is the engineer in me.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure they say.

Cord cutting is indeed a trend and video OTT the future,  but hardly the the "norm" and not even close to a majority....and has little to no merit regarding this debate.  Read this in your spare time https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/21/cord-cutting-not-happening-deloitte-survey-shows.html

There is no logical way anyone can sell this decision as "future thinking" or "cutting edge".  I have no hooks into the IHSAA.  Perhaps it was a financial decision, at least I could buy into that.  But you will find little support on the GID that the IHSAA is short on funds.  

How about working toward adding the required networks for those folks that didn't have the coverage?  Again...having the webcast as an alternative is brilliant.  Having it has the only option is a step backwards.  Perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Titan32

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Sorry...no offense.  I live my life trying avert future issues.  It is the engineer in me.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure they say.

Cord cutting is indeed a trend and video OTT the future,  but hardly the the "norm" and not even close to a majority....and has little to no merit regarding this debate.  Read this in your spare time https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/21/cord-cutting-not-happening-deloitte-survey-shows.html

There is no logical way anyone can sell this decision as "future thinking" or "cutting edge".  I have no hooks into the IHSAA.  Perhaps it was a financial decision, at least I could buy into that.  But you will find little support on the GID that the IHSAA is short on funds.  

How about working toward adding the required networks for those folks that didn't have the coverage?  Again...having the webcast as an alternative is brilliant.  Having it has the only option is a step backwards.  Perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree.

would you change your tune if there is no issues with bandwidth from the stream?   Take out what you prefer, the lunch, tv, gathering etc.   and focus on if the broadcast succeeds without any issues that makes it available for ALL folks in our state and outside our state for that matter.   Also IHSAA represents ALL sports so this helps allow families coaches of "minor' sports to get the same sort of coverage of their excitement in their respected sports draws as well, not just football/bball.   

We can carry on if you wish, maybe not on here as the point of the thread is to discuss the actual draw and teams, players, match-ups, excitement that it brings.   

However, I am disappointed that @bobref has not made an appearance yet about our "blind" draw tournament!!   Soon enough I am sure :17_v:

13 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Can a school opt out of the tournament?

Could be a hefty penalty if they do.  Probably something in the by laws for doing do, but not 100% 

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

would you change your tune if there is no issues with bandwidth from the stream?   Take out what you prefer, the lunch, tv, gathering etc.   and focus on if the broadcast succeeds without any issues that makes it available for ALL folks in our state and outside our state for that matter.   Also IHSAA represents ALL sports so this helps allow families coaches of "minor' sports to get the same sort of coverage of their excitement in their respected sports draws as well, not just football/bball.   

We can carry on if you wish, maybe not on here as the point of the thread is to discuss the actual draw and teams, players, match-ups, excitement that it brings.   

However, I am disappointed that @bobref has not made an appearance yet about our "blind" draw tournament!!   Soon enough I am sure :17_v:

Could be a hefty penalty if they do.  Probably something in the by laws for doing do, but not 100% 

I give up....you're as stubborn as I am.  And no bandwidth being appropriate won't change my tune.  Again...online is a great alternative.  I suppose in the world we now live it wouldn't be "appropriate" for football to have anything other sports do not.  Don't get me started on the "blind" draw!

Edited by Titan32